Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Why are people so against Danny Ferry? The guy built two organizations into winners. He wasn’t making any decisions when Dell was here.
    Because we have no way of knowing whether the hire would be because Ferry is the best pick, or if it's the franchise being lazy again.

Also, he built the Cavs into a winner with LeBron James carrying some of the worst rosters ever constructed. You don't get credit for those teams.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Because we have no way of knowing whether the hire would be because Ferry is the best pick, or if it's the franchise being lazy again.

Also, he built the Cavs into a winner with LeBron James carrying some of the worst rosters ever constructed. You don't get credit for those teams.
    That argument is dumb. Danny Ferry has the best resume of all the candidates. So, if the Pelicans hire him, it is because they are lazy? So you rather hire some no name who has no skins on the wall to rebuild this team in the biggest transition it has ever had in New Orleans?

That argument is dumb. Danny Ferry has the best resume of all the candidates. So, if the Pelicans hire him, it is because they are lazy? So you rather hire some no name who has no skins on the wall to rebuild this team in the biggest transition it has ever had in New Orleans?
    *Sigh*

No, that's not what I said. Read it again.

Danny Ferry, debatably has the best resume. It's perfectly possible to argue that Griffin has a better resume: after all, he has a ring and Ferry doesn't. It's not as cut and dry as you make it sound: Ferry's resume is essentially made up of two parts. The first is his time as Cavs GM. Like I said, that is not a GOOD thing, because all of those Cavs teams were god awful and they only won anything because Lebron James is Lebron James. The second thing he has is his time with the Hawks. Now, the Hawks were legitimately very good, but they fell apart relatively quickly because the construction was unable to sustain success. So that's Ferry's resume. Failing with Cleveland, and being great but short-lived in Atlanta.

You can prefer that over anyone else, sure. He's certainly more experienced than some of the other names, and that Atlanta team, though short lived, really was excellent. But don't act like he just has the best, undisputed resume that nobody else can touch.

''So if the Pelicans hire him, it is because they are lazy?''. No. And I didn't say that. I said that if they hire him, it is either because he is the best pick, or because they're being lazy. The issue is that we, as fans, cannot know which, because they aren't going to tell us. Maybe they hire him and they do it because they agree with you and think he has the best resume. Totally possible. But we won't KNOW that, so there will always be a question mark.

My only issue with Ferry is that he should have had Gentry under his thumb and clearly tanking. The fact that he didn't express strongly enough to Gentry that he must lose the last two games is a red mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    *Sigh*

No, that's not what I said. Read it again.

Danny Ferry, debatably has the best resume. It's perfectly possible to argue that Griffin has a better resume: after all, he has a ring and Ferry doesn't. It's not as cut and dry as you make it sound: Ferry's resume is essentially made up of two parts. The first is his time as Cavs GM. Like I said, that is not a GOOD thing, because all of those Cavs teams were god awful and they only won anything because Lebron James is Lebron James. The second thing he has is his time with the Hawks. Now, the Hawks were legitimately very good, but they fell apart relatively quickly because the construction was unable to sustain success. So that's Ferry's resume. Failing with Cleveland, and being great but short-lived in Atlanta.

You can prefer that over anyone else, sure. He's certainly more experienced than some of the other names, and that Atlanta team, though short lived, really was excellent. But don't act like he just has the best, undisputed resume that nobody else can touch.

''So if the Pelicans hire him, it is because they are lazy?''. No. And I didn't say that. I said that if they hire him, it is either because he is the best pick, or because they're being lazy. The issue is that we, as fans, cannot know which, because they aren't going to tell us. Maybe they hire him and they do it because they agree with you and think he has the best resume. Totally possible. But we won't KNOW that, so there will always be a question mark.
    And why does that last paragraph even matter? If they hire him, it is obvious they think he is the best choice otherwise they would not hire him. So, just because he had a loose affiliation with the program before, we shouldn’t hire him? The guy has never even lived in New Orleans, because his previous role with the Pelicans was so limited. Who is to say that some of the positive moves Dell made wasn’t because of Danny Ferry’s influence?

And why does that last paragraph even matter? If they hire him, it is obvious they think he is the best choice otherwise they would not hire him. So, just because he had a loose affiliation with the program before, we shouldn’t hire him? The guy has never even lived in New Orleans, because his previous role with the Pelicans was so limited. Who is to say that some of the positive moves Dell made wasn’t because of Danny Ferry’s influence?
    The same argument could be that Dell's bad moves were because of Ferry's influence. If Ferry is the best candidate, then he should be hired. I just hope that they went through a thorough and complete process to make the decision and did not just put on a show with the intent of keeping Ferry from the beginning. However, we may never know. I wish for the best regardless of who gets the job.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The same argument could be that Dell's bad moves were because of Ferry's influence. If Ferry is the best candidate, then he should be hired. I just hope that they went through a thorough and complete process to make the decision and did not just put on a show with the intent of keeping Ferry from the beginning. However, we may never know. I wish for the best regardless of who gets the job.
    I can appreciate this, but to say we shouldn’t hire him because it could be a sign of “laziness” is not a good argument at all.

I can appreciate this, but to say we shouldn’t hire him because it could be a sign of “laziness” is not a good argument at all.
    Good thing nobody made that argument, then, isn't it?

Well nothing has happened to Gentry yet. Which probably means Ferry has this all locked up. Gentry keeps his job. Alvin even said he was returning in his post-game interview Tuesday.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Well nothing has happened to Gentry yet. Which probably means Ferry has this all locked up. Gentry keeps his job. Alvin even said he was returning in his post-game interview Tuesday.
    Why? I don't see any reason to fire the coach until you have a GM in place. Then the GM can decide what to do with Gentry. There's no advantage in firing him until that happens, because at least the GM at that point would have the option of keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Why? I don't see any reason to fire the coach until you have a GM in place. Then the GM can decide what to do with Gentry. There's no advantage in firing him until that happens, because at least the GM at that point would have the option of keeping him.
    The GM May have already been chosen. See Ferry, Danny. Which means nothing will happen to Gentry!

Presser after Kentucky Derby. I’m calling it!

The GM May have already been chosen. See Ferry, Danny. Which means nothing will happen to Gentry!

Presser after Kentucky Derby. I’m calling it!
    I don't think Ferry as GM necessarily means Gentry stays.

I agree.

It would be the most typical Pels think ever if Ferry was hired And Gentry was brought back but I still have hope.

I'm probably naive.

I don’t think Gayle is ready to eat that extension she gave him last year

Why wouldn't she? She ate the rest of Monty's deal.

She may not. She may reassign him to an advisor role. I do not see him staying on as head coach (especially if Ferry stays on as GM).

Meanwhile Cleveland, Sacramento, Memphis start the process of interviewing for a new HC.

We need to get on with it.

Meanwhile Cleveland, Sacramento, Memphis start the process of interviewing for a new HC.
    I think Cleveland and Sacramento have a decision maker in place. Not sure about Memphis as I know they had a shakeup today.

She may not. She may reassign him to an advisor role. I do not see him staying on as head coach (especially if Ferry stays on as GM).
    Called it...

Regardless, I think Gentry is here for next year 10/1 regardless of GM situation. GM will be tasked with AD, draft, and free agents. Why overload with coach too when we have a godfather of pace under contract? Don't renew Gentry next year and let the GM pick a coach under less duress or godforbid Gentry get us farther in the playoffs and then give him another 2 year. Man will be 65 this year, he aint gonna be here forever no matter how good or bad he is.

Ha! BYU is trying to hire that Jensen guy to be their HC because they only want to hire coaches who are of their faith, and the pool is really shallow. They are also interviewing Mark Madson, the coach from Portland State, and the coach from Utah Valley State. They are so screwed.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Why wouldn't she? She ate the rest of Monty's deal.
    Monty had one year left. Gentry has 3 years of payments left . If Gentry has FDL tats then he is certainly not going anywhere.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-12-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Monty had one year left. Gentry has 3 years of payments left . If Gentry has FDL tats then he is certainly not going anywhere.
    Where are you getting that Gentry has 3 years left?

Thread Information