Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I will believe that the season is over when the players leaves the bubble. Until then, it’s a statement move.
    Honestly, let it end and start the 'off-season'. The effort was made to make it real...and the players chose a different path. Let' em give Giannis and Morant their trophies and let's start over. That way, we might even get a summer league in after the draft.

I think what's also interesting is that going on a wildcat strike is against the terms of the CBA. I very much doubt ownership is pleased by this, whatever their public statements might imply.

Similarly, you had the actual CBA set to expire in September anyway (iirc) although it's been pushed back due to the bubble and whatnot.

I wonder how this will impact the next CBA.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think what's also interesting is that going on a wildcat strike is against the terms of the CBA. I very much doubt ownership is pleased by this, whatever their public statements might imply.

Similarly, you had the actual CBA set to expire in September anyway (iirc) although it's been pushed back due to the bubble and whatnot.

I wonder how this will impact the next CBA.
    Management is in an enviable position by default:

* Broadcasting Revenue has to take a massive hit (especially individual markets)
    * The image of the NBA player is suffering nationally (maybe not in China...aahh, yes, remember China)
    * They allowed the players to become social billboards
    * They were kicked in the teeth after their goodwill gesture to re-start the season by this nonsense.
    * They incurred mega-expense to ensure the well-being of the players
    * Though I believe the COVID scare will cease to exist on November 3rd, there still exist uncertainty as to the disposition of the 2020/21 season.

The players are going to squawk when team caps decline because of fan apathy (decreasing value of broadcasting rights). Translations: Players' salaries are going to be effected and not for the better.

I would be quite interested (if anyone knows) in what the status of ticket renewals are for next season throughout the league.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Big up Jaylen Brown

Every now and again we get reminded that the NBA is Bill Russell's league, and it's a good thing.

I see Mac has deleted Twitter again

Not a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not a surprise.
    It's not surprising but it is disappointing. They're apparently meeting later today to discuss what the league/owners will do, which seems sort of backwards to me. When you strike you're not supposed to agree to come back to work before you've even set formal demands.

And their point was?

It's not surprising but it is disappointing. They're apparently meeting later today to discuss what the league/owners will do, which seems sort of backwards to me. When you strike you're not supposed to agree to come back to work before you've even set formal demands.
    I have a feeling most of the players only joined in because they felt forced to and not because they wanted to can the season. Everyone has to be on board from the beginning or you get something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I have a feeling most of the players only joined in because they felt forced to and not because they wanted to can the season. Everyone has to be on board from the beginning or you get something like this.
    Workplace solidarity is a basic thing, imo.

Workplace solidarity is a basic thing, imo.
    I think the problem is the fans. Everything they do is to repay the fans that allow them to live luxurious lifestyles. So let’s say they boycott the season. These athletes that slay a different mistress every night and eat at the fanciest restaurants have to convince the fans that they feel the pain of the oppressed or the lower class. Not saying it’s right, but it will fall on deaf ears and they will only alienate their fan base by boycotting the season. They know this. Only the ones that are too big to fail are the ones that are standing firm

Boycotting themselves proves what?

Serious Question:

Dare I ask, what sacrifice did the players make for the 'cause'?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    * Though I believe the COVID scare will cease to exist on November 3rd, there still exist uncertainty as to the disposition of the 2020/21 season.
    l
    I generally try to not be brash or rude. Especially, when It's someone I would call a friend. I will only say this once and never speak of it again.

As a medical professional that has hundreds of my own patients die from this, please keep your stupid ********ing opinion to yourself.

Covid is gonna last aslong till we develop a seasonal vaccine and crush it.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-29-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I generally try to not be brash or rude. Especially, when It's someone I would call a friend. I will only say this once and never speak of it again.

As a medical professionals that has hundreds of my own patients die from this, please keep your stupid ********ing opinion to yourself.

Unfortunately, my friend(s), you failed.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Unfortunately, my friend(s), you failed.
    He's right

Serious Question:

Apparently a two day vacation with pay.

Serious Question:

Didn't some stay really late at the night for one meeting, then get up really early for another one?

#sacrifice

Perception

The players in contract years have everything to lose here. I cannot blame them at all. If LeBron can whinge about Morey, the players can protect their own self interests as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

As a medical professionals that has hundreds of my own patients die from this, please keep your stupid ********ing opinion to yourself.

Honestly impressed by your restraint here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Is he really implying Covid is essentially a conspiracy theory?

Thread Information