Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I literally guessed 2024 for one of the seconds, hooray for me.

I swear, if the other one really is 2077...
    Trading picks forward is actually down valuing the pick at present in terms of value. That is the way it is viewed in the NFL.

Will be interested to see who signs Tillie and Karim Mane.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    Trading picks forward is actually down valuing the pick at present in terms of value. That is the way it is viewed in the NFL.
    For us....it's like rolling back an expiring asset. Eventually we will need these picks to trade for the players we need to fill holes when our core is ready to contend. If we use the pick on a player, we know have a not great prospect who will never see the court.....it would be like our asset expired and we wasted it. Trading it back allows us to roll back the expiration date on our asset. Keep it fresh for when we need it.

Think of it like gallons of milk. We will eventually need this milk to trade for a player we covet.....but that won't be for q few years. So instead of letting the milk expire we keep trading it for essentially the same amount of milk....just a later expiration date.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yeah, that's interesting they would say that about behaiorism in education. I wonder if it's because your field would be trying to promote more free thought....so it would like trying to undo classical conditioning to allow for an untethered approach to education whereas mine is about trying to develop healthy habits and routines. It would seem like classical conditioning would be beneficial when learning how to study or to prepare for a test properly.
    Maybe that's part of the distinction.

The problem is that when you're learning how to teach, more-so than teaching sets of facts and pre-determined interpretations of texts that students can repeat on demand, we're much more interested in teaching the process of how to interpret information, develop readings, evaluate things, etc. It's hard to do that using pure behaviourist approaches because there isn't a set method that applies to all texts; instead it's much more helpful to have a rough understanding of the elements of the text that you can draw on and have the experience of acting as what we generally call the ''co-creator'' of knowledge. This is particularly true in the humanities, although there has been some of it in subjects like mathematics as well.

Some places still swear by behaviourist approaches to, well, behaviour, where it's implemented as a disciplinary thing with set rewards and punishments for things and whatnot, but even then it's a little bit outdated. There's definitely a generational gap in it though, older teachers are very wedded to that method whereas younger teachers generally try to have a more fluid and adaptive approach to disciplinary measures, with a lot more dialogue involved.
    Basketball.

Booo boring and pragmatic draft booooo

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Will be interested to see who signs Tillie and Karim Mane.
    If we are aggressive, we should be in the running. We lack frontcourt bodies big time!!!!

Cowherd or someone on Fox talked about the lack of emotion and appreciation of the players taken. I didn't see that lack of emotion tonight, with the exception of the kid the Pelicans are trading to Denver from the first round (note: he apparently expressed emotion prior to draft according to ESPN).

Cowherd or someone on Fox talked about the lack of emotion and appreciation of the player taken. I didn't see that lack of emotion tonight, with the exception of the kid the Pelicans are trading to Denver from the first round.
    Cowherd is a clown

Maybe that's part of the distinction.

The problem is that when you're learning how to teach, more-so than teaching sets of facts and pre-determined interpretations of texts that students can repeat on demand, we're much more interested in teaching the process of how to interpret information, develop readings, evaluate things, etc. It's hard to do that using pure behaviourist approaches because there isn't a set method that applies to all texts; instead it's much more helpful to have a rough understanding of the elements of the text that you can draw on and have the experience of acting as what we generally call the ''co-creator'' of knowledge. This is particularly true in the humanities, although there has been some of it in subjects like mathematics as well.

Some places still swear by behaviourist approaches to, well, behaviour, where it's implemented as a disciplinary thing with set rewards and punishments for things and whatnot, but even then it's a little bit outdated. There's definitely a generational gap in it though, older teachers are very wedded to that method whereas younger teachers generally try to have a more fluid and adaptive approach to disciplinary measures, with a lot more dialogue involved.
    I can definitely see that with education.

In a therapeutic setting, that type of open approach tends to increase the maladaptive behaviors. It's like, bringing an anxious client into such an open, mind expanding exercise often creates more anxiety or depression.

Really a lot of what I do focuses on neurotransmitters and their physiological triggers. And then using behavioral approaches to increase the good chemicals ans reduce the bad. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_606447993396767.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	6549

Cowherd is a clown
    That’s offensive to clowns.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Cowherd or someone on Fox talked about the lack of emotion and appreciation of the players taken. I didn't see that lack of emotion tonight, with the exception of the kid the Pelicans are trading to Denver from the first round (note: he apparently expressed emotion prior to draft according to ESPN).
    Cowherd wasn’t a fan of John Wall because he danced. Cowherd doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

I can definitely see that with education.

In a therapeutic setting, that type of open approach tends to increase the maladaptive behaviors. It's like, bringing an anxious client into such an open, mind expanding exercise often creates more anxiety or depression.

Really a lot of what I do focuses on neurotransmitters and their physiological triggers. And then using behavioral approaches to increase the good chemicals ans reduce the bad.
    Which is understandable. It's different approaches for different tasks.

Take psychoanalysis, for example. You say it's thoroughly debunked in therapeutic studies, and I can absolutely imagine that to be the case. However, it can be extremely useful in literary critique, because characters in fiction are not real people and they do not have the qualities that real people have. The fact that it has little or no utility in one field says nothing for its applicability elsewhere.

The other guy that may have said all that was Clay Richards from his early show. I just don't remember.

Which is understandable. It's different approaches for different tasks.

Take psychoanalysis, for example. You say it's thoroughly debunked in therapeutic studies, and I can absolutely imagine that to be the case. However, it can be extremely useful in literary critique, because characters in fiction are not real people and they do not have the qualities that real people have. The fact that it has little or no utility in one field says nothing for its applicability elsewhere.
    True.

Man. This really IS going to be like the US presidential election.

Man. This really IS going to be like the US presidential election.
    How so? IF you are talking behavior therapy or applied behavior analysis there is significant research to prove effectiveness in a number of areas. I have used it for many years. But the key word here is not necessarily behavioral and more so empirical. There are some studies that support psychodynamic therapy which was derived from psychoanalysis in some situations, but I don't use it. Same for some other therapies, such as cognitive therapy alone and some educational stuff. Empirical really is the factor. Can you show positive change after applying intervention and reasonably associate the intervention with the change. Single system design stuff. There really doesn't need to be such conflict in approaches. But in our world you have to pick sides. How did we get to this point is worth pondering.

I think the problem would start with dismissing science and end with promoting literary theory. When I'm working with a sexually traumatized adolescent who isn't able to make connections with others, my go to is going to be something like EMDR that has quantifiable results backed by science as opposed to exploring his consciousness with some debunked theoretocal nonsense like structuralism.
    And that's an entirely justifiable stance. Like Dae, I don't pretend to be an expert in behavioral science/psychology nor would I dismiss it at great length. You're right that, structuralism is less psychology than it is philosophy, and it's isn't really a tangible treatment of trauma or neurosis, and as someone who has experienced neurotic symptoms in the past, I can attest to that. But I certainly wouldn't say it's been debunked, in the sense that it's entirely irrelevant. Philosophy is, imo, really just a grandiose kind of qualitative theory, it's aim is more to construct a logic based model of reality than provide pragmatic solutions for one's own self-treatment.
    Last edited by Funcrusher; 11-19-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Wonder what trades and free agents we’re looking at? Wonder if Lonzo is involved

What Griff did tonight acquiring all these draft picks was something Loomis has never ever been able to do.

Back to basketball, Tillie will be in New Orleans if he makes the team that is signing him and that team is Memphis.

How so? IF you are talking behavior therapy or applied behavior analysis there is significant research to prove effectiveness in a number of areas. I have used it for many years. But the key word here is not necessarily behavioral and more so empirical. There are some studies that support psychodynamic therapy which was derived from psychoanalysis in some situations, but I don't use it. Same for some other therapies, such as cognitive therapy alone and some educational stuff. Empirical really is the factor. Can you show positive change after applying intervention and reasonably associate the intervention with the change. Single system design stuff. There really doesn't need to be such conflict in approaches. But in our world you have to pick sides. How did we get to this point is worth pondering.
    I'm to the point of passing out from lack of sleep so it may be me but I'm not following what you're asking and you quoted my joke on how long it's going to take to sus out the trades so I'm a little more lost.

I do believe that there is some merit to every psychological approach. I'm very eclectic. Started out mostly CBT and family systems therapy but have slowly moved into dialectical behavioral therapy and my main one. Everything has a place and purpose.

Except for psychoanalysis and psychodynamics. It's trash. Only used for the worried well. Lol

So it wasn't "tipped" but Kira did work out and have lunch with the Pelicans brass before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So it wasn't "tipped" but Kira did work out and have lunch with the Pelicans brass before the draft.
    Good. He's home

Thread Information