Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Griffin's Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    What has Griffin done that made us choose him? He was gifted 3 1st overall picks. Couldn't keep things together with Irving and James thus losing them both. Drafting Bennett 1st overall is a stain that doesn't easily wipe off.
    I believe Griffin left before Lebron and Irving left. Some think Griffin is still close to Lebron. Also let this sink in

https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2019/0...gm-report.html
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-19-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I believe Griffin left before Lebron and Irving left. Some think Griffin is still close to Lebron. Also let this sink in

Yeah Griffin left before the Kyrie trade and subsequent Lebron leaving. It was Koby Altman who handled that stuff.
    Basketball.

He left before but the problems started under him. Irving came to him to ask for a trade he refused and they he was replaced.

He left before but the problems started under him. Irving came to him to ask for a trade he refused and they he was replaced.
    Do you really think it's fair to put the blame on Griff for it though? Kyrie had multiple years left on his deal and Griff was trying to deal with Lebron James and his demands. That puts things a little outside of the normal operation.

And what CLE actually got back in the Kyrie trade can't be pinned on him whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Do you really think it's fair to put the blame on Griff for it though? Kyrie had multiple years left on his deal and Griff was trying to deal with Lebron James and his demands. That puts things a little outside of the normal operation.

And what CLE actually got back in the Kyrie trade can't be pinned on him whatsoever.
    This league isn't about fair. It was a tough situation but that's the job and as of right now Griffin resume has more fails then successful moment. There's a solid chance that even if Griffin does a great job assembling talent the "who's alpha" situation will play out again. Why would I want a person who's failed already?

I will agree the results of the Irving trade is not on Griffin. No that lies squarely on the stupidity of Gilbert and Altman. They should have gone all in to keep James or completely broken that team apart with James still on it. They tried the most difficult thing both and the obvious happened.

This league isn't about fair. It was a tough situation but that's the job and as of right now Griffin resume has more fails then successful moment. There's a solid chance that even if Griffin does a great job assembling talent the "who's alpha" situation will play out again. Why would I want a person who's failed already?
    Cause everyone who hasn't failed already is employed.

Cause everyone who hasn't failed already is employed.
    Griffin feels like we're settling as an organization. If he can get the job done it won't matter, but I prefer a young assistant to a guy who IMO failed more than succeed.

Griffin feels like we're settling as an organization. If he can get the job done it won't matter, but I prefer a young assistant to a guy who IMO failed more than succeed.
    I can understand that. I wanted Trajan Langdon personally. But at the same time, some people would say that Griff isn't settling because he's been in such high demand for a while now, and there are rumours that Langdon didn't do too well in the interviews (caveat emptor there)

Griffin was the main one I thought had an inflated resume and I couldn't get excited for him through the process.

That said what it seems like he adds over just being the main guy is across the NBA there seems to be a level of respect for him. He adds legitimacy that Dell never could to the job. He also seems to be able to convey the need to add a ton more funding and expanding the front office workers.

Maybe he is just average in regards to drafting players but his skill in other areas to actually establish a culture and set up a successful structure and hierarchy will probably have more long term benefit to the team than just drafting a player.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    That is 100% incorrect . Griffin had a trade IN PLACE to bring Paul George to Cleveland in a Kyrie deal. The only reason he was let go was He and Gilbert couldn't reach terms on a contract extension.

I can understand that. I wanted Trajan Langdon personally. But at the same time, some people would say that Griff isn't settling because he's been in such high demand for a while now, and there are rumours that Langdon didn't do too well in the interviews (caveat emptor there)
    I do like that we are trying to hire the assistant from the Clippers(can't remember his name). Anybody that's worked with or under Jerry West has my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    That is 100% incorrect . Griffin had a trade IN PLACE to bring Paul George to Cleveland in a Kyrie deal. The only reason he was let go was He and Gilbert couldn't reach terms on a contract extension.
    Clearly not %100 incorrect as the problem happened under Griffin. As I remember (of course I can be wrong) the problem with Gilbert and Griffin stemmed around his unwillingness to trade Irving.

I do like that we are trying to hire the assistant from the Clippers(can't remember his name). Anybody that's worked with or under Jerry West has my interest.
    Trent Redden, I think. I can't say too much about him, I'm no expert, but I've heard a lot of good things and the Clippers have done a really good job of rebuilding without tanking out. They lost CP3, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, and JJ Reddick over the last two seasons or so, and they're stil in the playoffs. That's impressive.

Clearly not %100 incorrect as the problem happened under Griffin. As I remember (of course I can be wrong) the problem with Gilbert and Griffin stemmed around his unwillingness to trade Irving.
    Kyrie asked to be traded because of
    Lebron not Griffin. That's not Griffin's fault.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    You clearly inferred "in some kind of way, that because Griffin was there when LEBRON wanted Kyrie OUT, that is was Griffin's fault." Griffin had PG13 coming in for Gods Sake.
    And then POOF, Coby Altman got FLEECED by Danny Ainge.

Who would you have hired? The concern with a young assistant is that they would have to negotiate an AD trade with potentially some of the best GMs in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Kyrie asked to be traded because of
    Lebron not Griffin. That's not Griffin's fault.
    When did I ever say it's Griffin's fault? The problem was not his fault, but that doesn't matter. How you handle the problems is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You clearly inferred "in some kind of way, that because Griffin was there when LEBRON wanted Kyrie OUT, that is was Griffin's fault." Griffin had PG13 coming in for Gods Sake.
    And then POOF, Coby Altman got FLEECED by Danny Ainge.
    I already address this in the post above. It's not his fault likewise winning the lottery 3 times wasn't due to his greatest. However how you handle good luck and/or bad luck does matter. Being GM/POBO isn't a job that's likely going to be fair.

Meh. The mistakes don't bother me as much because he strikes me as the type of guy who truly analyzes and learns from his mistakes. Most just say it. If anything, it makes me more relieved he's made those mistakes.

As for AD, he's gone. I mean, you could make an argument that if he buys into the system and signs a long extension, I could see letting him stay. Now this splinters off into so many tangents so I'll try to stay organized....but he seems like a nice dude who got swayed by some bros and if he says he's learned his lesson and commits to us, I'd buy that.

What I wouldn't like about that is that I really do think AD needs an alpha next to him to win. He is the best basketball player in the league. He is not a leader. If Jrue took the lead and made this his team with AD and his Lancelot, that would work. But the NBA doesn't do that for some reason. So I really think AD needs a Lebron, Harden, Curry, or Westbrook with him to win. I don't see that happening, so we would either just stay a good but not great team or he would go to leave again years down the road.

Why I would keep him is because you simply will not get a return worth trading him....except maybe for Zion (and even though we have the best shot at him, it's still an unlikely scenario). He's really worth more than what the Celts and Lakers can offer. Simply put, no team has the ammunition worth AD so we won't get back good value.

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, he is gone. Like the chance of him staying are .01%. I don't even know why I typed all of this out.

Dell Demps. You had 8 years of him. He failed. I’ll take Griffin over a young inexperienced assistant.

I appreciate how we as fans aren’t looking at this hiring through rose colored glasses. I don’t see a single post stating that this is the start of the greatest run in NBA history, nor do I see a single post saying that we are destined to fail. Everyone here (I suppose because of year of experience under Demps) have come to the conclusion that this is just another hire in order to try getting to somewhere greater. Will it work? Who knows, there isn’t a whole lot of optimism about the hire, but we are willing to give him a shot for now.

In short, thanks for keeping it �� with your expectations about this hire. Let’s hope it doesn’t come back to bite us #pelslife style.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I appreciate how we as fans aren’t looking at this hiring through rose colored glasses. I don’t see a single post stating that this is the start of the greatest run in NBA history, nor do I see a single post saying that we are destined to fail. Everyone here (I suppose because of year of experience under Demps) have come to the conclusion that this is just another hire in order to try getting to somewhere greater. Will it work? Who knows, there isn’t a whole lot of optimism about the hire, but we are willing to give him a shot for now.

In short, thanks for keeping it �� with your expectations about this hire. Let’s hope it doesn’t come back to bite us #pelslife style.
    If Perk agrees then it is a good hire

Perk tells it like it is

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

I think that as Pels fans, our expectations have been forcefully adjusted by close to a decade of mediocrity.

But whenever we begin to get too pessimistic, the light comes on: at least we're not the Knicks or Suns.

That �� was suppose to be 100.

Yeah, at least we aren’t the Knicks or Suns. There is always that.

If Perk agrees then it is a good hire

Perk tells it like it is
    That's the part that has me very optimistic. Not necessarily Perk. I don't really care just for his opinion. But the media, talking heads, and other ex players as a whole. It really feels like during the AD fiasco the sentiment was "Klutch is picking on that special kid". Listening to various sources, they were talking about the franchise like it was an actual franchise. No derision or anything like that. Deadpan like we are a normal team.

If we can get a decent haul back for AD and resign Payton and/Randle.....we might actually be an attractive location, again. That gives me SQUEE.

Thread Information