Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: January 29th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks

Pelicans January 29th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks

This is probably going to hurt.
    Basketball.

See where 3M3 was added to the NBA Dunk Contest.

TWO THOUGHTS

1. Knew it couldn't be the Three Point Contest; he couldn't get to the 3rd rack before time elapsed.
    2. Wonder how many games he will miss after the All Atar Game because he jammed a thumb on his first attempt.

Probably will get to see more Kira today. Really hope he gets a solid 15mins action

7 game losing streak and we sit EVERYONE? Brilliant. Why are the fans to care when the team doesn’t? By the end of this losing streak we could be 13th in standings.

Looks like Jonas has been beaten into not caring any longer. Shoulders slumped. Yuck.

Contrary to popular belief, I see KL13 is still alive.

Kira has so much potential man. Loved what I've seen so far. Wonder if he and Jose can co-exist in a lineup? Would love to see it

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Kira has so much potential man. Loved what I've seen so far. Wonder if he and Jose can co-exist in a lineup? Would love to see it
    Probably not, but Kira and DD can and WILL BE the starting guard tandem by the end of next year (unless they trade one or the other).

Good fight in the middle of the 2nd Q, but that run by the Bucks at the end of the half spells “Game Over.”

Jose needs to get his floater game going and keep being aggressive.

Definitely need to see more of the young guys tonight. More Jax, more Kira.

Willie really took out Jose and Nance with a minute and a half left like they superstars.

Kira just made his way back to the lockerroom and found a one way ticket back to Birmingham on his stool.

Long live Devonte'!!!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

TWO THOUGHTS

1. Knew it couldn't be the Three Point Contest; he couldn't get to the 3rd rack before time elapsed.
    2. Wonder how many games he will miss after the All Atar Game because he jammed a thumb on his first attempt.

Dude shoots 4 from 6 from three tonight and all you bring is more hate.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Dude shoots 4 from 6 from three tonight and all you bring is more hate.
    Mr. Wahoo, I realize you have a personal interest in him; it doesn't change the fact that he has more holes in his game then a sieve (to believe otherwise is simply disingenuous). I am not saying he will never be serviceable and that, even now, he doesn't have his moments. But, to date, he is not measurably improving his game for this team and it's not because he isn't getting quality playing time to do so.

For example: over the last three games, our 6'8''+ friend has exactly 4 rebounds in 83:15 minutes (contrast that with the 9 rebounds our 5'11'' undrafted free agent has in less time played), or in those same last three games he has committed exactly 1 personal foul (and it isn't because he's playing suffocating defense). Assists you ask? In the last three games (83:15 minutes) he has exactly 3.

Look, I'm not putting the blame all on him alone (though he does bear the brunt), instead, I'm saying this team is doing a horrible job of developing its young talent (see: JAX, NAW, KIRA, DIDI AND EVEN HERB). All are pretty much the same player we got when we drafted them.

TWO THOUGHTS

If Trey doesn't have to get his own rebounds, he will be fine.
    He seems to be allergic to those.

These next 2 games HAVE to be approached like a game 7. This is getting severely out of hand.

I stand by the fact that I think they need to go after Myles Turner. Especially if he is willing to accept a role off the bench. Trade Larry if need be. Was never super high on him.

But interior defense is a deep hole on this roster. Even if the guys on the roster are in perfect position, 9 times out of 10 they'll get scored on anyway. No affect on the shot at all.

Also, when CJ and now BI are playing, I do not understand these lineups with 5 backups all in at the same time. At least 1 of BI, CJ, and/or Jonas needs to be on the floor at all times.

I really have to reassess my commitment to this team.
    Is it worth my time and money to continue to care when they obviously don't.
    Now don't get me wrong some of the players care and try, but probably just for their next contract.
    I really am happy for you guys who got to see Kira tonight, it seems like that made the game tolerable.

But for me, sitting out BI and CJ against a very strong Bucks team while on a 7 game losing streak was a slap in the face.
    Why even fly to Milwaukee, give the whole team a load management day.

Like Pels management always seems to say, consider me day to day (but not really), and I will reassess my ability to care in 2 weeks,
    and of course if I choose to care again it will take me an additional 2 weeks to get back in caring shape.
    not to mention I will need a plan in place to allow me to not care again on any back to back games because that is just too much to ask.
    And most important, these rules cannot be changed no matter the opponent or importance of any game.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I really have to reassess my commitment to this team.
    Is it worth my time and money to continue to care when they obviously don't.
    Now don't get me wrong some of the players care and try, but probably just for their next contract.
    I really am happy for you guys who got to see Kira tonight, it seems like that made the game tolerable.

But for me, sitting out BI and CJ against a very strong Bucks team while on a 7 game losing streak was a slap in the face.
    Why even fly to Milwaukee, give the whole team a load management day.

Like Pels management always seems to say, consider me day to day (but not really), and I will reassess my ability to care in 2 weeks,
    and of course if I choose to care again it will take me an additional 2 weeks to get back in caring shape.
    not to mention I will need a plan in place to allow me to not care again on any back to back games because that is just too much to ask.
    And most important, these rules cannot be changed no matter the opponent or importance of any game.
    Didn’t you know they were just trying to get healthy for the playoffs. Lol. People on here really believed that.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    These next 2 games HAVE to be approached like a game 7. This is getting severely out of hand.

I stand by the fact that I think they need to go after Myles Turner. Especially if he is willing to accept a role off the bench. Trade Larry if need be. Was never super high on him.

But interior defense is a deep hole on this roster. Even if the guys on the roster are in perfect position, 9 times out of 10 they'll get scored on anyway. No affect on the shot at all.

Also, when CJ and now BI are playing, I do not understand these lineups with 5 backups all in at the same time. At least 1 of BI, CJ, and/or Jonas needs to be on the floor at all times.
    Honestly, you are saying the things that make the coach look like the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Didn’t you know they were just trying to get healthy for the playoffs. Lol. People on here really believed that.
    Of course I know that is the plan, but seeding and home court matter, you can't just give this many games away.
    Last edited by redrum; 01-30-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Honestly, you are saying the things that make the coach look like the issue.
    It's not just the coach, these decisions are probably above his pay grade.

Mr. Wahoo, I realize you have a personal interest in him; it doesn't change the fact that he has more holes in his game then a sieve (to believe otherwise is simply disingenuous). I am not saying he will never be serviceable and that, even now, he doesn't have his moments. But, to date, he is not measurably improving his game for this team and it's not because he isn't getting quality playing time to do so.

For example: over the last three games, our 6'8''+ friend has exactly 4 rebounds in 83:15 minutes (contrast that with the 9 rebounds our 5'11'' undrafted free agent has in less time played), or in those same last three games he has committed exactly 1 personal foul (and it isn't because he's playing suffocating defense). Assists you ask? In the last three games (83:15 minutes) he has exactly 3.

Look, I'm not putting the blame all on him alone (though he does bear the brunt), instead, I'm saying this team is doing a horrible job of developing its young talent (see: JAX, NAW, KIRA, DIDI AND EVEN HERB). All are pretty much the same player we got when we drafted them.
    I definitely have a personal interest in Trey and it's not like I'm trying to hide it.

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'll repeat what I said on another tread that went unaddressed. I think it's pretty unfair to criticize Trey for failing to initiate offense and being active on the boards. It's not his role to do so. He's specifically coached to spot up in the corner and wait for the ball to come to him. He's also coached to hustle down the floor after defensive possessions so he can spot up for an open 3 on transition if it's there.

I would love to see him create on his own, because he has that ability - and he's starting to do it more anyway - but it's not how his role is designed in this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I definitely have a personal interest in Trey and it's not like I'm trying to hide it.

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'll repeat what I said on another tread that went unaddressed. I think it's pretty unfair to criticize Trey for failing to initiate offense and being active on the boards. It's not his role to do so. He's specifically coached to spot up in the corner and wait for the ball to come to him. He's also coached to hustle down the floor after defensive possessions so he can spot up for an open 3 on transition if it's there.

I would love to see him create on his own, because he has that ability - and he's starting to do it more anyway - but it's not how his role is designed in this offense.
    He has become very hesitant in shooting those 3s he is supposed to take. He seems a bit unconfident.

Totally agree. Doesn't help his confidence that he seems to always get pulled when he missed a couple.

Thread Information