Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Possible Trades at deadline

2023 Possible Trades at deadline

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...al-predictions

Breakdown on each team's needs and one possible trade for each team.

But what caught my eye most in the article was this nugget regarding restrictions on trading certain players. Was anyone aware of this particular one?

"Zion Williamson has a poison-pill restriction. For trade purposes, $13.5 million counts as outgoing salary and $32.7 million counts as incoming salary for the acquiring team."

If life without BI and Zion has taught us anything.... It's that we need a Jordan Clarkson type off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    If life without BI and Zion has taught us anything.... It's that we need a Jordan Clarkson type off the bench.
    I agree that there needs to be a scoring presence off the bench. I disagree it needs to be Jordan Clarkson style - chuckers who play no d are not welcome in my opinion.

Of course it doesn't help that due to massive injuries, our vaunted depth is no longer depth because it's all starting. That moves the quality scoring threats from the bench to the starting lineup, which of course makes the bench look worse than it 'is', in a healthy version of the team.

I'm not desperate for a trade but if we make one its more for a stabilising presence than a hot-shot instant grits reboot.
    Basketball.

But we Have other players off of the bench that do play D. It would be nice to have a good mix

Then again you are probably right I’m just frustrated with the injuries

funny. that 'chucker' has beating us twice because of his 'chucking'. 'just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    funny. that 'chucker' has beating us twice because of his 'chucking'. 'just sayin'
    It's true. We lost to the Jazz exclusively because of Jordan Clarkson. It was the only factor. My mistake, should've realised.

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    If you have followed Clarkson's career, you know he is a chucker. Good GMs do not trade for a guy just because he played a good game of two against them. He is a career 34% 3-pt shooter who still shoots 8 a game now. He averages about 14 shots a game despite being pretty much a career backup. He makes over $13 million a year. He offers little else and is already 30. Heavy pass.

But we only need him coming off the bench, maybe starting when the injury bug bites. Not looking for Clarkson, but I am looking for offense. That’s why I’d like to bring in someone like Bogdanovic or Sadiq Bey.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    No one is beating the Pels offer if they really want OG.

Dyson
    Herb
    Graham

Top 4 protected 23, turns into unprotected Lakers 24 if it doesn't convey.

I'd ask the Raptors to throw in Juancho just because we need to replenish depth.

OG takes all of Herb's minutes and slots into the fully healthy starting line-up. Trey/Naji come off the bench. No change for Larry and Jose. Kira gets Graham's minutes. Willy and Juancho hang out together and can both play spot minutes as needed.

IMO, if you look at when Naji and Herb are both up for new deals, Naji has played his way into forcing the Pelicans to make a choice of Naji or Herb. I choose Naji, partially because I think Herb still has more value in a trade currently but Naji provides more value coming off the bench than Herb would if you are using one of the two to upgrade the starting 5.

Honestly, this would be an easy deal for me to make. I keep all my future flexibility and have a clear 2-way playoff starter at the wing spot between Zion and BI. I like the potential of Dyson and Herb, but neither is the "set it and forget it" playoff starter that OG is.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No one is beating the Pels offer if they really want OG.

Dyson
    Herb
    Graham

Top 4 protected 23, turns into unprotected Lakers 24 if it doesn't convey.

I'd ask the Raptors to throw in Juancho just because we need to replenish depth.

OG takes all of Herb's minutes and slots into the fully healthy starting line-up. Trey/Naji come off the bench. No change for Larry and Jose. Kira gets Graham's minutes. Willy and Juancho hang out together and can both play spot minutes as needed.

IMO, if you look at when Naji and Herb are both up for new deals, Naji has played his way into forcing the Pelicans to make a choice of Naji or Herb. I choose Naji, partially because I think Herb still has more value in a trade currently but Naji provides more value coming off the bench than Herb would if you are using one of the two to upgrade the starting 5.

Honestly, this would be an easy deal for me to make. I keep all my future flexibility and have a clear 2-way playoff starter at the wing spot between Zion and BI. I like the potential of Dyson and Herb, but neither is the "set it and forget it" playoff starter that OG is.
    There is no way I would give up that for OG. OG will be looking for $30+ million on his extension and is not that a star or lead player IMO.

I just hope griff doesn't panic and mortgages the future

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I can't trade Daniels. If I wanted to make a big offer this would be the most I would be willing to do. I could also add a pick swap in 2024 with our own pick.

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap-1-20-2023-6-01-30-PM

Rookie
    I want Malik Beasley, Bogdonavich, or Siakam.

Bogdonavich please

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    There is no way I would give up that for OG. OG will be looking for $30+ million on his extension and is not that a star or lead player IMO.
    Herb is only a year younger than OG, and OG represents the best case scenario for who Herb becomes before his next contract is due. If Herb develops an offensive game equivalent to OG’s he’s going to command $25-30m as well. Dyson and a pick are more than appropriate value for upgrading from Herb to OG and dumping Graham’s money next season.

Dyson has potential but he’s very raw. Can we develop him if we’re healthy and trying to contend? Where do those minutes come from? I don’t think he should take minutes away from Naji at this point.

You gotta give to get. Not sure you’re getting OG without giving up Dyson.

If we make a "big" trade, give me Bogdanović. If were going the smaller route, go after Gary Trent Jr.

Emptying the cache for an above average starter in Anunoby would be a huge mistake that would cost the franchise significantly in the future. Let?s not forget the career trajectory of a similar player in Otto Porter. He basically became an overpaid role player.

I think we should package a top 10 protected 1st, Graham, Hayes, and/or Temple for any one of Trent Jr., either Bogdanovic (Pistons or Hawks), or the combo of Malik Beasley and Kelly Olynk.

Herb is only a year younger than OG, and OG represents the best case scenario for who Herb becomes before his next contract is due. If Herb develops an offensive game equivalent to OG’s he’s going to command $25-30m as well. Dyson and a pick are more than appropriate value for upgrading from Herb to OG and dumping Graham’s money next season.

Dyson has potential but he’s very raw. Can we develop him if we’re healthy and trying to contend? Where do those minutes come from? I don’t think he should take minutes away from Naji at this point.

You gotta give to get. Not sure you’re getting OG without giving up Dyson.
    You seem to terribly overrate OG. He is not such a huge difference maker that he is worth all that. You cannot even project what Dyson will become at 19 years old. Any 19 year old would be raw halfway through his rookie season.

You seem to terribly overrate OG. He is not such a huge difference maker that he is worth all that. You cannot even project what Dyson will become at 19 years old. Any 19 year old would be raw halfway through his rookie season.
    If I’m overrating OG, I think I’m in good company across the NBA community in doing so! Plus this board’s track record of evaluating players coming into the league, our own players, and players on other teams isn’t exactly stellar.

I think OG is a better playoff fit than either Herb or Dyson over the course of their remaining contracts. I’m not sure how that’s even arguable at this point. Dyson isn’t playoff ready and they will give Herb the Tony Allen treatment.

Dyson is a good lil player. He could develop into a player that gives you 17 and 5, while playing at a first team all defensive level. If a team has developmental minutes to give him without worrying about being an important cog in a team competing for home court in the playoffs and hoping to make a conference finals or win a championship in the next 3 years. By the way, how much are we paying Naji, Jose, Trey, and Herb by the time Dyson reaches that potential??

If you do a trade like this, maybe you can negotiate around the protection of the pick. Maybe it’s lottery or top 10 protected and not top 4. Maybe you could trade Naji, and not Herb. But if you have OG as a starter, who would you actually rather have coming off the next, Herb or Naji? And who is more of a culture setter? I’d say Naji!

My main point of the original post was that if we want OG, we have the ability to get it done. OG could be on his way to New Orleana and in the starting line up for the Nuggets game if Griff wants him. And we’d still have a full backpack of assets to put on the table for future deals.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Emptying the cache for an above average starter in Anunoby would be a huge mistake that would cost the franchise significantly in the future. Let?s not forget the career trajectory of a similar player in Otto Porter. He basically became an overpaid role player.

I think we should package a top 10 protected 1st, Graham, Hayes, and/or Temple for any one of Trent Jr., either Bogdanovic (Pistons or Hawks), or the combo of Malik Beasley and Kelly Olynk.
    I’m ok with OG and GTJ or Beasley and Olynk. One doesn’t solve our big spacing/rebounding/defense problem the second puts us in tax territory for future years. I’d look to get Nick Richard for cheap from Hornets if possible at least to get a look see this year.

If I’m giving up multiple picks though, I want Vassell if possible.

If I’m overrating OG, I think I’m in good company across the NBA community in doing so! Plus this board’s track record of evaluating players coming into the league, our own players, and players on other teams isn’t exactly stellar.

I think OG is a better playoff fit than either Herb or Dyson over the course of their remaining contracts. I’m not sure how that’s even arguable at this point. Dyson isn’t playoff ready and they will give Herb the Tony Allen treatment.

Dyson is a good lil player. He could develop into a player that gives you 17 and 5, while playing at a first team all defensive level. If a team has developmental minutes to give him without worrying about being an important cog in a team competing for home court in the playoffs and hoping to make a conference finals or win a championship in the next 3 years. By the way, how much are we paying Naji, Jose, Trey, and Herb by the time Dyson reaches that potential??

If you do a trade like this, maybe you can negotiate around the protection of the pick. Maybe it’s lottery or top 10 protected and not top 4. Maybe you could trade Naji, and not Herb. But if you have OG as a starter, who would you actually rather have coming off the next, Herb or Naji? And who is more of a culture setter? I’d say Naji!

My main point of the original post was that if we want OG, we have the ability to get it done. OG could be on his way to New Orleana and in the starting line up for the Nuggets game if Griff wants him. And we’d still have a full backpack of assets to put on the table for future deals.
    I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. However, there is a huge cost to obtaining OG, not only in draft picks/players, but in his next contract. He is a very good, not great player. He has not made Toronto a playoff team with Siakam, VanVleet and Barnes around him. I think he is more of a complimentary player and would not want to pay him (and for him) as a star.

I like OG and think he is a very good starter/role player. But the value being asked for him is too much for me. The CJ trade that we had cost us josh hart (good role player) sato (expiring) naw, a protected 1st round pick that became the 2025 bucks pick and 2 2nd rounders. And we got Larry in that deal as well.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. However, there is a huge cost to obtaining OG, not only in draft picks/players, but in his next contract. He is a very good, not great player. He has not made Toronto a playoff team with Siakam, VanVleet and Barnes around him. I think he is more of a complimentary player and would not want to pay him (and for him) as a star.
    If the Pels are willing to pay it, I have no problem with his next contract. Gayle Benson paying the tax isn’t going to keep me up at night. I think she’s good for it and won’t suffer too much! If OG’s playing at a level that gets him paid like a star, I feel good about the Pels being in position to win a title or two.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    I like OG and think he is a very good starter/role player. But the value being asked for him is too much for me. The CJ trade that we had cost us josh hart (good role player) sato (expiring) naw, a protected 1st round pick that became the 2025 bucks pick and 2 2nd rounders. And we got Larry in that deal as well.
    CJ is older and isn’t a wing. Wings will get you rings! And plus the cost of the brick has gone up on the block thanks to the Rudy and Murray trades. We also have to factor in that any trade we do will require us to put Graham in the deal, and it’s going to cost us to dump his remaining salary on somebody. Nobody is taking that without a sweetener.

Thread Information