Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fire Gentry ?? Then who?

Fire Gentry ?? Then who?

I'm not a big AG fan , but I'm not a hater . But I do know coaches don't blow layups or miss wide open shots or make stupid to's like Jrue did last night. My question to all the " Fire Gentry " people is who you gonna get that's better than AG . If you have a viable realistic option then I'd be ok replacing AG . If not then I'd wait till the end of the season and hopefully a healthy roster and maybe a trade or 2 to evaluate AG . So who's better than AG that's a realistic get?

Any poppovich assistant.

Finding a good coach is tough. They don't sprout up from the NCAA. They are hidden gems. Hiding as assistant coaches/ development coaches not college coaches.

You can watch the story behind Nick Nurse. It's beyond difficult for unknowns to breakthrough into the coaching ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    Any poppovich assistant.
    Lazy answer , Give names , Just cause they worked for Pop is no sure thing. Also a 1st time HC may not be the best for a very young team

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's like anything. Politics, finance, religion, engineering...

People want something, but the common folk don't know a thing about specifics. They just want.

No popovich assistant or any coach/assistant will leave in the middle of the season. Coaches are not someone you try to hire in the middle of the season.

I also find it ironic the call for any popovich assistant since that's literally what we had as a coach AND GM before Gentry and Griffin. Both ended up being fired...

I've been a big fan of the Becky Hammon idea for a while. I saw her coach Summer League for the Spurs a few years back, and she was good then, and she obviously has the experience as an assistant and a player to really back up the position.

That said, I also agree that it's very unlikely that a Pop assistant leaves in the middle of a year, and if Pop has given her any indication that she's next up when he leaves, she may not want to leave there at all even for a HC offer.

So my view is, leave it until the end of the year, or at least nearer the end of the year, and offer it to Hammon.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I've been a big fan of the Becky Hammon idea for a while. I saw her coach Summer League for the Spurs a few years back, and she was good then, and she obviously has the experience as an assistant and a player to really back up the position.

That said, I also agree that it's very unlikely that a Pop assistant leaves in the middle of a year, and if Pop has given her any indication that she's next up when he leaves, she may not want to leave there at all even for a HC offer.

So my view is, leave it until the end of the year, or at least nearer the end of the year, and offer it to Hammon.
    Wouldn't be surprised if she is hired by the Pel's in the future, not only because the Pel's owner is a women, but she know's her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if she is hired by the Pel's in the future, not only because the Pel's owner is a women, but she know's her stuff.
    For sure. One thing I like about the way the Pels are currently building is that they're hiring a diverse array of people, but none of them are 'token' figures. We have female staff and executives, but they're all people who know their stuff: T-Spoon, Swin Cash. I wouldn't be suggesting Hammon solely for the purposes of having the first female HC in NBA history (though that would certainly be a bonus) if I didn't think she had the resume that backs her up as a good potential coach as well. But she does, so go for it!

I prefer a young hot coach in the ncaa mens rankings

This hire might even up the refereeing a bit, as the NBA will do everything in their power to see a women succeed in the league. Just Sayin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's like anything. Politics, finance, religion, engineering...

People want something, but the common folk don't know a thing about specifics. They just want.
    Exactly , I have this debate with a couple friends all the time . All they say is Fire Gentry. When i say ok who you gonna get, they say nothing . Why? Because they have no clue to the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No popovich assistant or any coach/assistant will leave in the middle of the season. Coaches are not someone you try to hire in the middle of the season.

I also find it ironic the call for any popovich assistant since that's literally what we had as a coach AND GM before Gentry and Griffin. Both ended up being fired...
    You are right , and firing AG mid season if at all would't be the right thing. What's your thoughts on AG ? Should he be gone ? And if so who do you thing we should get ?

I really don't think Gentry was the long term plan unless he could get everyone playing at an extremely high level.

Continuity is important and is likely the reason he was retained with so much turnover in the off season.

With that said I can see him being replaced at the end of the year unless there is a major turnaround. A turnaround is possible because players are getting more familiar as well as getting Zion back and hopefully relatively good health the rest of this year.

As for a replacement, I will wait to revisit this after the season.

Right now I will just enjoy the games as we have a very young and exciting team with a ton of additional firepower on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I really don't think Gentry was the long term plan unless he could get everyone playing at an extremely high level.

Continuity is important and is likely the reason he was retained with so much turnover in the off season.

With that said I can see him being replaced at the end of the year unless there is a major turnaround. A turnaround is possible because players are getting more familiar as well as getting Zion back and hopefully relatively good health the rest of this year.

As for a replacement, I will wait to revisit this after the season.

Right now I will just enjoy the games as we have a very young and exciting team with a ton of additional firepower on the way.
    I think he should probably be replaced even if there is a turnaround. All us being good when guys are back and healthy proves is that Gentry's system is functional if you have a bunch of really, really, really good players. Whenever he's forced to try and work with less than great pieces, he produces very poor results.

The best coaches can coax better-than-expected results from poorer rosters. Given how awful the Spurs are this year, I feel kind of silly for using them as an example, but last year the Spurs roster was pretty damn bland and somehow Pop forced them into the playoffs. Similarly, although a lot of the Lakers' success this season has been the result of Vogel actually doing pretty damn well in his coaching position: they're a good team, but not 15-2 good, and a lot of the reason for that overachievement is the robust nature of Vogel's defense.

Nick Nurse last year took the Raptors to new heights of course, and despite Kawhi and Green leaving they've stayed very good; why? Partially it's because Siakam has taken another level up, but also because Nurse is a very good coach.

Gentry can't do that. He has to have THE pieces to make it work. When he has his guys, playing bonkers, it looks great. But he's not a versatile or creative coach at all, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    You are right , and firing AG mid season if at all would't be the right thing. What's your thoughts on AG ? Should he be gone ? And if so who do you thing we should get ?
    I thought he should have been fired at the end of last season. I never would have kept him or given him an extra year. Now that we're here though I don't think he should be fired until the end of the season.

As far as who we should hire I don't pretend to know. I'm more interested in knowing what options are even out there.

I think he should probably be replaced even if there is a turnaround. All us being good when guys are back and healthy proves is that Gentry's system is functional if you have a bunch of really, really, really good players. Whenever he's forced to try and work with less than great pieces, he produces very poor results.

The best coaches can coax better-than-expected results from poorer rosters. Given how awful the Spurs are this year, I feel kind of silly for using them as an example, but last year the Spurs roster was pretty damn bland and somehow Pop forced them into the playoffs. Similarly, although a lot of the Lakers' success this season has been the result of Vogel actually doing pretty damn well in his coaching position: they're a good team, but not 15-2 good, and a lot of the reason for that overachievement is the robust nature of Vogel's defense.

Nick Nurse last year took the Raptors to new heights of course, and despite Kawhi and Green leaving they've stayed very good; why? Partially it's because Siakam has taken another level up, but also because Nurse is a very good coach.

Gentry can't do that. He has to have THE pieces to make it work. When he has his guys, playing bonkers, it looks great. But he's not a versatile or creative coach at all, imo.
    I do not disagree with you. I just think that's what will happen. But I also thought we would keep Monty after we made the playoffs, so what do I know?

Gentry wasn't my favorite to replace Monty either based on his career record and just like you stated he needs an elite group of players to make his system work. But honestly, if you want to win championships you need an elite group of talent anyway. If his system works with elite talent like it did for the Warriors it can work for us too. Just need to get that defense working better.

But I would have no problem sending him on his way unless we do something crazy this year and make the finals or something. It just needs to wait until the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I do not disagree with you. I just think that's what will happen. But I also thought we would keep Monty after we made the playoffs, so what do I know?

Gentry wasn't my favorite to replace Monty either based on his career record and just like you stated he needs an elite group of players to make his system work. But honestly, if you want to win championships you need an elite group of talent anyway. If his system works with elite talent like it did for the Warriors it can work for us too. Just need to get that defense working better.

But I would have no problem sending him on his way unless we do something crazy this year and make the finals or something. It just needs to wait until the off season.
    I get that, and I agree that if Gentry gets us to the finals or something similarly nuts then we'd have to at least consider keeping him

But yeah, I don't think that it's an endorsement that Golden State could do it. Golden State had the 2 greatest shooters of all time, a deep bench, and a DPOY, and even then they only won 1 of 2 rings before KD showed up and they added another all time great.

I don't think it's an endorsement of your system to say ''well, it works if you start 4 hall of famers''. Like, yeah, true, but so would most systems at that point

You just don’t stick with a failed head coach. If there isn’t an NBA ready stud of a coach in play, you go for the up and coming or you take the risk on somebody new. We’ll see how it plays out once the year ends.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    You just don’t stick with a failed head coach. If there isn’t an NBA ready stud of a coach in play, you go for the up and coming or you take the risk on somebody new. We’ll see how it plays out once the year ends.
    That's my view.

Sure, Pop/Nurse/Budenholzer/etc are not just out there free, so you can't pick up one of those guys, fine.

So you have two real options: you take a chance on someone who may or may not be good, or you stick with the coach that you know is bad. At least by taking the chance, you give yourselves the opportunity to find the next up-and-coming coach; maybe you flame out, but maybe you hit it big. By contrast, going with the latter option guarantees your failure. So why not just take the chance?

We can only hope the new regime is as good at choosing coaching talent as they are at drafting players

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry made it to the Finals before with PHX? Is that true? Or WCF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Gentry made it to the Finals before with PHX? Is that true? Or WCF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He did make it to the WCF in his first year as Suns Head Coach.

The Suns roster at the time had Nash on it, averaging 16pts and 11asts a game during a 50/40/90 year. It also had Stoudemire in one of his last healthy seasons (played 81 games), as well as Goran Dragic starting to become a name. That team had 7 players on it who shot at least 39% from 3.

He was Suns Head Coach for 3 years, and their record got worse each year, coinciding with Stoudemire leaving, Nash starting to be troubled more by his injuries, Grant Hill finally aging off the cliff, etc.

So much of what we consider a good or bad coach comes down to stuff completely out of their control. Like look at Kerr and Pop this year. Both are having terrible seasons due to injury issues. Gentry is in the same position as them but no one is questioning Pop or Kerr. That's not to say Gentry should get a free pass, like I said I'd have already fired him last summer. It's just interesting to think about how coaches are judged.

You just went there didn’t you. I don’t even know how you even put Gentry in the same sentence as those guys.

Thread Information