Pelicans Report

Thread: The 3 people I would Love to see mentor Zion

Pelicans The 3 people I would Love to see mentor Zion

I have 2 NBA players and a trainer I would love to see Zion work with in the offseasons.. 1 current star, 1 retired HOF, and 1 of the best personal coaches in the NBA..

First would be for Zion to work with Draymon Green! IMO not a better player in the NBA for Zion to model his on court game after on both sides of the floor. After entering the NBA Green transformed himself into the player with the skill set he has today. Zion is even further along with those skills at the same point when they decided to leave college while being the athelete Green could only be in his dreams. Let’s not forget Zion left as an 18 y/o freshman compared to Green as a 22 y/o senior.. Learning how to pass and create for others without being some Simmons type of passer, how to run the pick&roll as the handler/roller, how to play in space and when to shoot from deep. Would like to see him develop some more into his game then Green like shooting from range, a better post game, and becoming a more aggressive scorer where I believe we can expect immediatly especially if he trains with my 2nd choice..

Secondly would be for Zion to work with Charles Barkley! IMO not a better player in NBA history for Zion to model his post game and scoring inside the arc as a slightly undersized PF. Barkley was a great athlete during his career as well having a lot of similarities in skill sets as Zion. What Zion doesn’t learn from Green he would get from Barkley like a dominant post game as a more aggressive scorer with a higher usage. How to be an elite scorer who can just put the ball in the hoop with great technique. His shot could stay where it is now and just developing into some Barkley skills along with his god given traits the kid is a super star!

Lastly would be for Zion to work with “LethalShooter”! He is an NBA shooting coach with some big time clients and IMO one of the best shooting coaches in the world as well as being one of the best shooters in the world himself. When NBA players call this guy to come work with them their game starts to make huge improvements. Zion does not have some broken shot that needs to be rebuilt like Ben Simmons but more Kawhi Leonard and could use some minor tweaking in his form/release while getting the ball arc higher. LethalShooter specializes in implementing some of the best drills creating muscle memory along with consistent release and creating a 3pt shot. Would love to see him be hired by the Pelicans to work with some of our players like Zion/Jrue/?RJ? primarily and giving some time to others. I believe the Lakers have hired him in this type of role with helping develop Lonzo/KCP along with what I believe another similar role with a team in the Sixers. He still works outside of this with many other NBA players around the league personally hiring him. I could definitely see him absolutely jumping all over the chance to help develop Zions shot not to mention RJ. He loves challenges and the Art of shooting.. What young duo out there better to go teach the Art of shooting to?! If the Pelicans were smart he would be hired full time during the season as our Head Shooting coordinator while maybe letting him keep few important clients during the offseason if that’s what it took. Hiring LethalShooter if just for Zion/RJ would be incredible!

Instagram name is “LethalShooter”
    Twitter name is “@LethalShooter__”

How do you feel about this top 3? Who would you choose as the 2 players and skills coach to bring in?
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-21-2019 at 01:09 AM.

I can't think of a player I'd want him to stay away from more than Draymond Green. Luckily for us, they are completely opposite personality wise. I wouldn't want Draymond mentoring any player on my team. HATE that dude.

Zion does remind me of Charles Barkley on the court, so I can see your reasoning there. Doubt Chuck does much work with players nowadays though.

I dont know who that coach is that you're referring too, but making Zion a capable and consistent shooter should be one of our top priorities when it comes to his development. He's not a bad shooter by any means, he shot over 33% from 3 as a true freshman. No sharp-shooter, but dude isn't terrible and his shot isn't broken or anything. If he develops a shot he will be unstoppable. FT shooting will be crucial for him. Also can't wait to see him work with Finch, assuming Finch doesn't get a HC gig somewhere this summer. I think Zion's passing is one of the most underrated aspects of his game and Finch can help maximize that.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I can't think of a player I'd want him to stay away from more than Draymond Green. Luckily for us, they are completely opposite personality wise. I wouldn't want Draymond mentoring any player on my team. HATE that dude.

Zion does remind me of Charles Barkley on the court, so I can see your reasoning there. Doubt Chuck does much work with players nowadays though.

I dont know who that coach is that you're referring too, but making Zion a capable and consistent shooter should be one of our top priorities when it comes to his development. He's not a bad shooter by any means, he shot over 33% from 3 as a true freshman. No sharp-shooter, but dude isn't terrible and his shot isn't broken or anything. If he develops a shot he will be unstoppable. FT shooting will be crucial for him. Also can't wait to see him work with Finch, assuming Finch doesn't get a HC gig somewhere this summer. I think Zion's passing is one of the most underrated aspects of his game and Finch can help maximize that.
    I'd want him to watch a lot of TAPE on Draymond, but in terms of personality I agree that I'd want them kept far away from each other.

I think that Zion's shot has a lot of potential. People look at his overall (like you say, a little over 33%) accuracy and think that he's poor-to-average, but that's not really representative of how his shot was by the end of the year. His overall is dragged down by the fact that for the first 12 games of the year, he shot 17.6% from deep. Which is truly awful. But for the final 20 games, which is the larger sample size and also representative of an upwards trend, he shot 39.6% from three.

Does that mean I think he's going to shoot basically 40% in the NBA? Nah, the line is further back and the defenses are better, but I don't see why he couldn't be a dead-average shooter at around 35, 36% even in his rookie year.
    Basketball.

Only thing Barkley is teaching players now is how to eat.

As far as active players go, my choice would be Lebron but I feel he'd be far more worried about player entitlement than actually teaching him anything on the court. Zion's game could easily mirror an early LeBron’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Only thing Barkley is teaching players now is how to eat.

As far as active players go, my choice would be Lebron but I feel he'd be far more worried about player entitlement than actually teaching him anything on the court. Zion's game could easily mirror an early LeBron’s game.
    If it weren't for the fact that we know Lebron is eager to tamper and get his hands all over other team's players and stuff, you're right, Lebron would be close to perfect. Shame he's so untrustworthy.

I'd love for him to get in touch with Duncan and Robinson from San Antonio. I know he's shorter than both, but the combined IQ and defensive ability would be great for Zion to learn from.

When you said Love I had thought Kevin Love. LOL.

Wait a minute he has a connection with Griff!

I don't really follow the OP advertisement for Lethal Shooter andd disagree with Draymond totally dude is a smarmy chump like Boogie.

If I were to pick Zion's mentors I would be looking for Barkley, Shaq, Ewing, Paul Pierce types. So much of Zions character is a boyish genuine charm and sense of charismatic joy I hope he never loses. Really reminds me of Shaq the most persona wise.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    I don't really follow the OP advertisement for Lethal Shooter andd disagree with Draymond totally dude is a smarmy chump like Boogie.

If I were to pick Zion's mentors I would be looking for Barkley, Shaq, Ewing, Paul Pierce types. So much of Zions character is a boyish genuine charm and sense of charismatic joy I hope he never loses. Really reminds me of Shaq the most persona wise.
    Don't get Paul Pierce involved.

Before you know it, Zion will be claiming he's the best wing shooter in the league, that he's better than Dwyane Wade, and that Steph Curry isn't a point guard.

Thinking about it a little more I think I'd like Zion to train with Hakeem. Teaching him the dream shake for a post game would be a good idea.

Thinking about it a little more I think I'd like Zion to train with Hakeem. Teaching him the dream shake for a post game would be a good idea.
    Does he have the body type to get Hakeem-style post moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Does he have the body type to get Hakeem-style post moves?
    Hakeem has done a lot of training with wings and guards too. Guys like Kobe and Lebron have trained with him to learn his moves.

The advantage is even bigger if you're a SF and can post up guys who don't typically play in the post.

Hakeem has done a lot of training with wings and guards too. Guys like Kobe and Lebron have trained with him to learn his moves.

The advantage is even bigger if you're a SF and can post up guys who don't typically play in the post.
    That's true. Hakeem does seem extremely willing to train with young guys too, so he's more accessible than some other legends.

It was meant as a mentor in a sense of a coach training him basically but since these 2 players mentor was in a way as someone to learn from working with in the offseason. I wouldn’t say have Lethal Shooter be his “mentor” but a coach/trainer.. Does Curry and Klay let any of Draymon Greens attitude rub off on who they are? No. Zion is who he is and working out with Draymon Green in the off season would not change who he is or how he acts. Green is also one of the best leaders and his teammates love playing with him outside of Durant. He plays a little dirty but who cares. If Green was a Pelican he would be a fan favorite. But I understand why people don’t like him. Green with Zions athletic ability is an NBA MVP. Green transformed himself with hard work with I’m sure a certain types of basketball workouts/drills. Zion picking up many of Greens skills would be incredible. I envision Gentry using Zion similar to how he had used Green in GS. The big difference is Gentry will have Zions usage rate along with more plays created going to Zion.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-22-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

Go look up leather shooter.. He’s very well known. The advertisement for him is because he is regarded as one of the best. If you love basketball then he is a great follow on social media.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-22-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Thread Information