Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: If Davis stays...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Milsap is a Team Option, NO?
    Just checked, yep you're right. Team option.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Milsap is a Team Option, NO?
    Ah ok, well Denver ain't picking that up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lespol View Post
    Hey ! I've visited this board for years but never registered. I think it's a good time to finally do it.

Anyway, if Davis stays, it could be a good idea to trade for a pick between 10 and 15 to draft Sekou Doumbouya (maybe with a second and next year's first). He would be a steal. I've seen a lot of prospects play in France (Tony Parker, Clint Capela, Boris Diaw, Evan Fournier, Nicolas Batum, Rudy Gobert...) and they never impressed me as much as Doumbouya. I don't understand how he can be projected this low when Ntilikina was drafted 8th overall... He's getting better every game, and looks really mature for an 18 years old kid. Yesterday he went for 34 points with 9 rebounds and 5/7 from deep, playing for a team where fans put a lot of pressure on the players. He handled it perfectly and earned every minute on the court putting a lot of energy on both sides of the floor. He has all the tools to succeed, the only question mark being his health as he's been injured multiple times every year as a pro. Otherwise he is a top 3 talent.

Moreover, this would leave PG as the only need coming into free agency...
    Hey, welcome to the board. I agree that Doumbouya looks fairly promising, but the question is how you'd go about getting him. I can see it happening if you end up taking the Celtics trade for AD, but obviously if you're keeping AD then I don't see any path to it. Got any ideas?

I don't believe for 1 second that it would take a 1st to unload Hill's contract. He's the final year of an expiring deal and can actually have some value at the deadline due to this. We got 4 2nd round picks when we traded Niko. I think if we really wanted to, we could use 2-3 of those and move Hill.

Personally, I'd probably just hold onto him to help facilitate a deal at the deadline and then gain an asset for our trouble.

A think a team like Miami could use Solo to shed some long term salary and it wouldn't cost a first

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't believe for 1 second that it would take a 1st to unload Hill's contract. He's the final year of an expiring deal and can actually have some value at the deadline due to this. We got 4 2nd round picks when we traded Niko. I think if we really wanted to, we could use 2-3 of those and move Hill.

Personally, I'd probably just hold onto him to help facilitate a deal at the deadline and then gain an asset for our trouble.
    Sticking with the premise of Davis staying.

I think it's simple really. You go into free agency looking for a fourth star or a set of long-term, contender level complementary role players, and if you get a verbal commitment you then worry about moving Hill.

You have AD/Zion/Jrue you don't need another star

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You have AD/Zion/Jrue you don't need another star
    In a league where the Warriors exist, yes you do.

AD/Zion/Jrue is going to need either another star for the short-term while Zion develops, or they are going to need to round out the roster with some Tobias Harris and Malcolm Brogdon caliber players that can offset that core's inherent weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hey, welcome to the board. I agree that Doumbouya looks fairly promising, but the question is how you'd go about getting him. I can see it happening if you end up taking the Celtics trade for AD, but obviously if you're keeping AD then I don't see any path to it. Got any ideas?
    I agree but if you land Tatum, there’s no need for a SF anymore. That’s why he’s relevant only if Davis stays. Maybe he could be gotten with 3 second rounders, maybe 4. The roster would be filled with talent for years to come so that would not be a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Sticking with the premise of Davis staying.

I think it's simple really. You go into free agency looking for a fourth star or a set of long-term, contender level complementary role players, and if you get a verbal commitment you then worry about moving Hill.
    I think that's a really smart way to handle it. Get the player to commit and then worry about the rest after.

-------------------

This got me thinking, what level of star would it take for us to bite the bullet and trade Hill for the space?

Also, what's everyone's feelings on Randle now that we have Zion? Is there a world where Zion, Randle, and AD can exist on the court at the same time? It's hard to say because Zion and Randle fill a very similar role.

I think that's a really smart way to handle it. Get the player to commit and then worry about the rest after.

-------------------

This got me thinking, what level of star would it take for us to bite the bullet and trade Hill for the space?

Also, what's everyone's feelings on Randle now that we have Zion? Is there a world where Zion, Randle, and AD can exist on the court at the same time? It's hard to say because Zion and Randle fill a very similar role.
    Me personally I would go for brogdon and a guy like Ross from the magic... as far a Randle he probably opts out and looks for a pay check I doubt he comes back as a backup... opening money for the pels as well as letting go some of the cap holds the roster has.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Who thinks AD stays?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-------------------

I already had a fairly hard limit on Randle. I liked him a lot for the skills he does have (he's an elite inside scorer, has a pretty good handle for big, and developed his shooting well towards the end of the season), but his obvious flaws in places like passing and defense were glaring and inexcusable, imo. I was still willing to keep him though as long as it didn't cost an arm and a leg because where else do we get good players?

But all of those skills are skills Zion shares, and Zion has the added benefit of being a far better defender and a more willing passer, as well as the fact that he's going to be cheaper and locked up long term. Given those realities, I don't see any need for Randle at all. He's surplus to requirements at this point.

I can't see Randle staying if AD did. The only way he could stay is at a discount and I don't believe he would be interested in that. Although Kemba Walker might be the best FA signing available, I don't believe the Pelicans can afford him, so I think re-signing Elfrid Payton is probably the likeliest scenario. If there is a way to swing a deal for Brogdon, I am all for it, but with the cap situation being what it is, I think AD staying would require the Pelicans to go with re-signing some of their cheap role players and maybe adding a Bogdanovic or Oubre.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Thanks for posting, but if you're gonna suggest grabbing a pick within a certain range it's a good idea to propose how to do it. Otherwise it just wastes everyone's time. And I don't see any real way of getting a pick in that range with the current assets
    Getting the Sac pick from Boston is the obvious answer.

Hey Pelicanidae. You were the tank commander (not an insult, I was there with you). What's your view on Solo now that we have Zion and if AD leaves? More pointedly, do you think we should keep him to aid a 2019 semitank to improve draft status while Zion develops? These chums are trying to trade our anchor away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lespol View Post
    I agree but if you land Tatum, there’s no need for a SF anymore. That’s why he’s relevant only if Davis stays. Maybe he could be gotten with 3 second rounders, maybe 4. The roster would be filled with talent for years to come so that would not be a huge loss.
    Let's say we trade with the Lakers and Ball is offloaded for #6 or #7.......would you take him that high? After the top 3, most people have like the next 10 guys slotted so close, eh? So do you take a flyer on your boy and watch him develop next to Zion?
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-31-2019 at 12:35 AM.

-------------------

Oooooo. Interesting. Dang. This could go so many ways depending on AD. I actually liked Randle. But to me, he is a goner with Zion. Especially if we make the NYK trade people are anticipating. I would take Zion, Robinson, and Okafor as my trio, any day.

My FA priority resigning is Payton, unless we somehow land Kemba.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Hey Pelicanidae. You were the tank commander (not an insult, I was there with you). What's your view on Solo now that we have Zion and if AD leaves? More pointedly, do you think we should keep him to aid a 2019 semitank to improve draft status while Zion develops? These chums are trying to trade our anchor away!

Let's say we trade with the Lakers and Ball is offloaded for #6 or #7.......would you take him that high? After the top 3, most people have like the next 10 guys slotted so close, eh? So do you take a flyer on your boy and watch him develop next to Zion?
    I don't really see any reason to trade Hill right now. Obviously if something came up that was a clear improvement, then I'd take it, but since winning isn't the 100% priority next season (it'll be more about redefining the franchise, developing Zion, making an identity and a culture) then I don't see the need to move Hill. His expiring does actually hold some value this season so it's not the end of the world if we just let his contract run out and re-claim the cap space next summer.

Like Mythrol said though, there may be a point where there's a player available that you want but that you'd have to move Hill for. Exactly what that level of player would be, I'm not sure, but it's worth thinking about.

I would guess we could trade solo if AD is traded at the draft to that team and let them do as they please with him. Yes we can trade him next year but when free agency opens we can use all the cap space we can get....you just never know what we can do with that money.

Rubio Jrue Zion AD Jah
    Frank Moore Solo Diallo Wood

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Rubio Jrue Zion AD Jah
    Frank Moore Solo Diallo Wood
    Wow

Literally none of those first 5 people can shoot.

I’m getting the feeling that Griff is going to keep AD until the trade deadline in February and see if he can change his mind . I think that would be a mistake if he signs supermax at stays that’s awesome every other scenario for the Pels is a disaster . Drama surrounding the team , possible injury etc. it really worries me as much as I would love for AD to stay .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I’m getting the feeling that Griff is going to keep AD until the trade deadline in February and see if he can change his mind . I think that would be a mistake if he signs supermax at stays that’s awesome every other scenario for the Pels is a disaster . Drama surrounding the team , possible injury etc. it really worries me as much as I would love for AD to stay .

If he does that, it will be the worst possible choice he could make.

I don't think he will, and I hope I'm right.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post

NOT happening.

There wouldn't be any way to convince him.

We were a top 4 team in the West, last season. We started out on absolute fire. We lost Elfrid Payton for a bit.....and then you could just see it. Something was wrong with the team. The defense went to poo. The effort wasn't there. Especially after that report of AD having dinner with LeBron.

I know a lot of people weren't as optimistic as me about how good we were but it was like lightning the first part of the season. And then we became one of the worst. THAT is how much AD gave up on this team. That's how bad his lack of effort hurt us. That's how cancerous his personality was.

So going into next season would be a lot of the same. A cancerous personality ruining the fresh new era in NOLA. The team would flounder with him around.

Unless he is all in, he's out. And that's why.

Thread Information