Pelicans Report

Page 77 of 127 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Unless a player has a no trade clause or has the ability (due to signing as a restricted free agent) to veto a trade by the rules, a player cannot simply veto a trade. The commissioner did not veto the CP3 trade, the defacto owner did that.
    Exactly. See Carmelo and the infamous trade kicker

It’s a year old article but you get the idea

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/...in-201819.html

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Anthony is on a five year deal with no trade kicker so we good

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

This article has NOTHING to do with Anthony Davis or anything to do with his deal.

It explicitly lays out the criteria under which a player has trade protection. AD does not meet any of those criteria.

Why would you even post this?
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Lakers: AD

Suns: Lonzo, Kuzma

Wizards: 4th pick, 6th pick, Hart, Wagner

Pels: Beal, Ingram, Lakers 2020, 2022 1st rounders unprotected

Who says no?

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post

Wizards: 4th pick, 6th pick, Hart, Wagner

Pels: Beal, Ingram, Lakers 2020, 2022 1st rounders unprotected

Who says no?
    Me. Don't want any parts of Ingram. Send him to the Wizards, I'll take Hart and the #6 instead.

Edit: still don't really like that deal either, but the Lakers assets suck. Their young guys are either incapable of playing half of the game (Lonzo) or are one bad air-line flight away from retirement (Ingram), so I don't want any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This article has NOTHING to do with Anthony Davis or anything to do with his deal.

It explicitly lays out the criteria under which a player has trade protection. AD does not meet any of those criteria.

Why would you even post this?
    It’s just FYI. Why you so mad? Calm down. I thought it was interesting. I’m learning how this veto stuff works too.

Me. Don't want any parts of Ingram. Send him to the Wizards, I'll take Hart and the #6 instead.

Edit: still don't really like that deal either, but the Lakers assets suck. Their young guys are either incapable of playing half of the game (Lonzo) or are one bad air-line flight away from retirement (Ingram), so I don't want any of them.

Ok. Then suppose the Wizards take Ingram and we get the 6th pick. Would you do it then?

Wizards: 4th pick, Ingram, Hart, Wagner

Pels: Beal, 6th pick overall, Lakers 2020, 2022 1st rounders unprotected

Edit, I didn't fully read your post.

We shouldn't trade him until draft night. So we can get a teams pick this year and next. Knicks pick looking even better now that KD is hurt if they do go ahead and sign him anyways.

Starting to get a little antsy with this chatter about how none of the other stars got value. Clippers, Celtics, Knicks wouldn't be interested now, etc. The fact of course remains we don't know what's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We shouldn't trade him until draft night. So we can get a teams pick this year and next. Knicks pick looking even better now that KD is hurt if they do go ahead and sign him anyways.
    I honestly think the KD injury makes the Knicks more desperate to get AD, not less. I get that their plan was to combine AD and KD together for an instant contender, and a lot of people feel like KD getting hurt completely scuppers that plan, so I understand why some people would think otherwise.

But for me, losing out on KD now makes AD a must-get for them. They have no backup plan. Kyrie's shown strong signs of heading to Brooklyn instead of NY (still no guarantee), and since KD is injured, AD is their last real shot at a legitimate superstar. They miss out on him, they probably have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for someone like Vucevic, who is good but isn't going to ignite playoff hopes for the franchise. Next free agency doesn't really have as many chances at superstars either, it's a lot drier. For NYC, it's this year, or accept another multiple dead-years. AD is their last hope, their last piece that could lure other stars in (Kyrie, Kemba, Butler), and their last chance to sell the fanbase on moving forward.

Add to that the fact that apparently AD's list is now just LA and NY, and NY have to at least think he'd be open to resigning there, since he keeps naming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The argument people made at the deadline wasnt just about some mythical Boston offer. That's a gross simplification and misinterpretation of what we were saying.

The MAIN arguement for not trading AD to ANY team at the deadline was, it made our pick and their picks worse, it reduced our chances of getting Zion and didn't allow us the ability to negotiate with whichever team did get Zion.

The second point was that it allowed for all teams to be involved in negotiations with us, not 10 days out and just the Lakers and NY but the entire league had time to make offers.

Third point was these two factors outweighed the risks of keeping AD.

The fact we won the lottery means we 1000% made the RIGHT decision in not trading AD. Anyone trying to go back and repaint history needs to stop. You were wrong. Period.
    Knicks were going to be trash with or without Davis and that's where we should have traded him.

Knicks were going to be trash with or without Davis and that's where we should have traded him.
    Trade AD in February, you don't get Zion.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Yep.

And AD is better than Boogie, or Paul George.
    So basically Buddy and Oladipo were better than people thought they would be and so now we’re saying those were good deals? But you’re completely discounting that 3 dudes under 23 who have been playing for a crappy franchise could get better if they’re traded here, along with the #4 pick, and future draft picks?

Y’all are funny.

I honestly think the KD injury makes the Knicks more desperate to get AD, not less. I get that their plan was to combine AD and KD together for an instant contender, and a lot of people feel like KD getting hurt completely scuppers that plan, so I understand why some people would think otherwise.

But for me, losing out on KD now makes AD a must-get for them. They have no backup plan. Kyrie's shown strong signs of heading to Brooklyn instead of NY (still no guarantee), and since KD is injured, AD is their last real shot at a legitimate superstar. They miss out on him, they probably have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for someone like Vucevic, who is good but isn't going to ignite playoff hopes for the franchise. Next free agency doesn't really have as many chances at superstars either, it's a lot drier. For NYC, it's this year, or accept another multiple dead-years. AD is their last hope, their last piece that could lure other stars in (Kyrie, Kemba, Butler), and their last chance to sell the fanbase on moving forward.

Add to that the fact that apparently AD's list is now just LA and NY, and NY have to at least think he'd be open to resigning there, since he keeps naming them.
    I agree. The Knicks has been selling the fanbase a star. I think they knew KD was coming. So now they have to come through. Trading for Davis may put them ahead of Brooklyn for Irving services. And KD is still on the table. They could still go into next season with Irving, Davis, and Durant under contract.

We don't know that. That perspective has more potholes than Avengers Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    So basically Buddy and Oladipo were better than people thought they would be and so now we’re saying those were good deals? But you’re completely discounting that 3 dudes under 23 who have been playing for a crappy franchise could get better if they’re traded here, along with the #4 pick, and future draft picks?

Y’all are funny.
    Where did I say that they were considered good deals at the time? Cause you're assuming I said that as the basis of your argument.

Take your time and get back to me when you find where I said that. Good luck.

Getting Zion was luck, not strategy.

Your statement is like telling someone who didn’t graduate high school, but somehow won the powerball, that dropping out was the right thing to do. How far back do you take this crazy town approach to events?

Fine, let me rephrase it with all caveats in place.

''The way things went, we got extremely lucky, and ended up with Zion. Any other combination of the ping-pong balls falling in another way would have NOT got us Zion. The odds of us getting Zion in the lottery were extremely small. If we had traded AD in February, there is pretty much no question that us and the other team would have had different records. NY would have still sucked but they wouldn't have been 17 wins. We would have still sucked, but we wouldn't have had the same record we ended up with. Given the extreme unlikelihood of us getting the pick we have under even the circumstances we got it, it seems silly to wish we had done something differently which would have altered our chances, even by only one or two spots, and prevented us from acquiring the single best NBA prospect out of college in over a decade.''

How's that? Pedantic enough?

Where did I say that they were considered good deals at the time? Cause you're assuming I said that as the basis of your argument.

Take your time and get back to me when you find where I said that. Good luck.
    Are you not, NOW, saying those were good deals?? The fact that you DID NOT say it then, is exactly my point!

Getting Zion was luck, not strategy.

Your statement is like telling someone who didn’t graduate high school, but somehow won the powerball, that dropping out was the right thing to do. How far back do you take this crazy town approach to events?

Have you ever heard of the concept of arguing in good faith? I have to ask, since you seem extremely determined to avoid doing it at all costs.

So you think that we would win exactly the same number of games?

Are you not, NOW, saying those were good deals?? The fact that you DID NOT say it then, is exactly my point!
    I'm saying those deals worked out pretty well in the long run.

I've never ''discounted'' the idea that Ball or Ingram could get better. We have had this argument dozens of times on this board. Every single time, whether it's with you, or 13-3, or GA25, or whichever bad-faith arguer decides not to bother actually reading what I've written before flipping their lids, I have to explain YET AGAIN that I totally understand that Ingram, or Ball, or Kuzma, or Josh Hart, or Moe flippin' Wagner, COULD end up improving in the future. In fact, MULTIPLE TIMES I have clarified that I expect certain improvements from certain players (I EXPECT Ingram to improve as a rebounder, for example).

I've also said that IF we were to end up with those players I would desperately hope that they prove me wrong and play well, because I want this team to be good, and I would be HAPPY to be wrong in those circumstances.

Please, please, I am begging you, argue with things I've actually said, or for approaches I've actually taken, rather than just making up stuff to get upset with.

Thread Information