Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Lakers already in mid-season form.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Pelicans tried to get him but he refused and wanted to go undrafted to choose his own team.
    That's a nugget. I didn't know that.

Pelicans 99.9% chance they pick 14th. Then probably 45th.

Not gonna create a new thread for this, but nice to see Herb getting respect from his peers. Especially someone the caliber Paul George.

JJJ won DPOY btw.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not true. There's only a 0.5% chance of the top pick, but a 2.4% chance of top 4.

Top 4 could possibly get us Scoot Henderson or Amen Thompson.
    Last edited by RobertM320; 04-18-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Well actuallllyyy it's 97% not 99% lol

Quote Originally Posted by b_l_p View Post
    Well actuallllyyy it's 97% not 99% lol
    lol it's 97.59%.

How many times have the 14th odds moved into the top 4? Precisely.

99.9999999% chance the Pels stay right there at 14 barring a trade.

The draft is somewhat deep so there are options at 14. Nick Smith Jr, possibly Keyonte George, Jordan Hawkins, Dariq Whitehead, Tracey Jackson-Davis.

lol it's 97.59%.

How many times have the 14th odds moved into the top 4? Precisely.

99.9999999% chance the Pels stay right there at 14 barring a trade.

The draft is somewhat deep so there are options at 14. Nick Smith Jr, possibly Keyonte George, Jordan Hawkins, Dariq Whitehead, Tracey Jackson-Davis.
    Trying to find out if 14 has ever moved up. It has not won the lottery.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/lottery_winners

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    14th spot is due!!!

Love to beat the odds, but there are a clutch of good shooting prospects set to go around where we pick that could really help our bench scoring problem: Hawkins; Howard; Murray; Sensabaugh; Dick... any one of them could have an instant role off the bench giving our second unit some more punch.

I think the Pels have to take a serious look at turning over the bottom of the roster and converting those roster slots into shooting and rim protection, even if means giving up a "veteran leader" like Temple, a former lottery pick like Hayes (who I guess they've concluded can't be rim protecting big), a glue bench guy like Hernangomez, and maybe even someone like Naji Marshall, a tough, versatile wing defender. Pels can't go into another season without more shooters. They just can't. Getting outscored from the arc by 15, 20, 25 points regularly is a recipe for defeat, even with Zion.

The "X" factor this off season is Jonas. Moving off him would be bold, but if you have a vision of playing smaller and faster, then you have to sell out for that vision.

A guy in this draft I love as a potential small-ball center is Trayce Jackson-Davis from Indiana. Picking him at 14 is probably too early as he's projected to go closer to the end of the first, but if the Pels do decide to move to a more athletic big, I hope they find a way to grab Jackson-Davis. Not a 3 point shooter, but a very skilled passer/connector with a 7'+ wingspan, big ups and a variety of post moves. He's kind of Sabonis-like.
    Last edited by new city champ; 04-18-2023 at 05:21 PM.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimBontem...18380404695048

The Lakers' picks lost large value due to the New CBA. If this rule goes into full effect as soon as the new CBA start there's no incentive to postpone to 2025 and the additional pick will be in 24 in a draft already branded as weak.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TimBontem...18380404695048

The Lakers' picks lost large value due to the New CBA. If this rule goes into full effect as soon as the new CBA start there's no incentive to postpone to 2025 and the additional pick will be in 24 in a draft already branded as weak.
    I’m not following how it has any impact on that. Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I’m not following how it has any impact on that. Can you elaborate?
    If they take into account the previous years, I think Lakers might be on the seventh year of being over the 2nd apron in year 2025. In this case no matter their ranking, the Lakers' picks will be a late first round. I hope I'm wrong but it smells fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    If they take into account the previous years, I think Lakers might be on the seventh year of being over the 2nd apron in year 2025. In this case no matter their ranking, the Lakers' picks will be a late first round. I hope I'm wrong but it smells fishy.
    Would think that this would not be retroactive. You would think any new rules would start when the new CBA starts.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would think that this would not be retroactive. You would think any new rules would start when the new CBA starts.
    I hope so but it would mean they made rule that won't be enforced in the CBA since it was agreed on 7 years (two years over the apron plus 7 years to have the first effect so 2 years after it expires). Again maybe I'm just paranoid but something feels off about it

Is that 2nd round pick at 45 or at 46? Most draft sites have it at 46 and that guy on locked on pels is saying its at 46th and going to atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Is that 2nd round pick at 45 or at 46? Most draft sites have it at 46 and that guy on locked on pels is saying its at 46th and going to atlanta.
    Looks like it is a 46, which means it goes to Atlanta. So only one pick this year. Kinda makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Love to beat the odds, but there are a clutch of good shooting prospects set to go around where we pick that could really help our bench scoring problem: Hawkins; Howard; Murray; Sensabaugh; Dick... any one of them could have an instant role off the bench giving our second unit some more punch.

I think the Pels have to take a serious look at turning over the bottom of the roster and converting those roster slots into shooting and rim protection, even if means giving up a "veteran leader" like Temple, a former lottery pick like Hayes (who I guess they've concluded can't be rim protecting big), a glue bench guy like Hernangomez, and maybe even someone like Naji Marshall, a tough, versatile wing defender. Pels can't go into another season without more shooters. They just can't. Getting outscored from the arc by 15, 20, 25 points regularly is a recipe for defeat, even with Zion.

The "X" factor this off season is Jonas. Moving off him would be bold, but if you have a vision of playing smaller and faster, then you have to sell out for that vision.

A guy in this draft I love as a potential small-ball center is Trayce Jackson-Davis from Indiana. Picking him at 14 is probably too early as he's projected to go closer to the end of the first, but if the Pels do decide to move to a more athletic big, I hope they find a way to grab Jackson-Davis. Not a 3 point shooter, but a very skilled passer/connector with a 7'+ wingspan, big ups and a variety of post moves. He's kind of Sabonis-like.
    I like a couple of those names and Trayce Jackson-Davis myself. But it might be at the point this team needs to look at selling a few assets to go get a young player like Keyonte George or even one of the Thompson twins.

When the top of your roster is so injury prone, the luxury of adding role players kinda takes a back seat. Unfortunately.

I like a couple of those names and Trayce Jackson-Davis myself. But it might be at the point this team needs to look at selling a few assets to go get a young player like Keyonte George or even one of the Thompson twins.

When the top of your roster is so injury prone, the luxury of adding role players kinda takes a back seat. Unfortunately.
    Almost every mock draft I do on tankathon.com has us staying at 14 and getting Keyonte George. So really no reason to move assets to get him.

Meh. I just can’t get enthused about Keyonte George. Call it Austin Rivers syndrome. These small guard gunners with a perpetual green light in college and a propensity for hero ball are not what I want to add. We’ve got enough Iso Joes as it is. Give me a longer pure shooter who knows how to move off the ball, use a screen properly and has a quick trigger. Let the ball do the work for a change.

I think good role players actually are what we need. We have to build a roster that can play .500 ball without Zion. I don’t think we do that by trying to bootstrap up another super star out of some kid. I think you do it like Memphis does it without Ja, with a deep team of guys who know how to play together. And can shoot. And protect the rim.

I was quite high on Noah Clowney because I felt his measurements would be around 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan and he was pretty much everything I wanted for the center position (shot blocking, nimble feet and shooting upside) but since he signed with Klutch he became a huge "meh" for me. Nick Smith JR also became a huge No with the Klutch signing.

Now I will narrow down to shooters with defensive fundamentals such as Dick, Hawkins and Howard. Sensabaugh could be nice too but his defense limit his upside.

Looks like it is a 46, which means it goes to Atlanta. So only one pick this year. Kinda makes sense.
    Thanks! Wasn't sure about that as well

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Almost every mock draft I do on tankathon.com has us staying at 14 and getting Keyonte George. So really no reason to move assets to get him.
    I really wouldn't be trusting mock drafts right about now. It's not like there's one known to be accurate. Especially in April.

I do not base any of my draft thoughts on mocks.

It'd be truly shocking if he's still there at 14.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-20-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Hawkins,dick,howard, or Kris Murray who is a clone of Keegan who went #4 last year an

Hawkins,dick,howard, or Kris Murray who is a clone of Keegan who went #4 last year and is a better spot up shooter and age 22 so ready to play. complete 6'8" player who shoots, boards, and defends

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    Hawkins,dick,howard, or Kris Murray who is a clone of Keegan who went #4 last year and is a better spot up shooter and age 22 so ready to play. complete 6'8" player who shoots, boards, and defends
    I'd be happy with any of those guys or Sensabaugh. Think all have proven basketball skill that can help Pels right away from the bench. Not a time to dream on upside that's two years away from being two years away...

There's also never a time to use the #14 pick to try and address current needs and quick fixes. That's what trades and FA is for. And maybe late 1st/2nd round.

The #14 pick is still very much BPA territory.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-20-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information