Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis: Pelicans would have contended for title if DeMarcus Cousins not hurt

Pelicans Anthony Davis: Pelicans would have contended for title if DeMarcus Cousins not hurt

ESPN - As New Orleans star Anthony Davis prepares for the second half of the season with the Pelicans holding on to the eighth seed in the Western Conference, he still thinks about what could have been this year had teammate DeMarcus Cousins not ruptured his Achilles.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...marcus-cousins

I don't really agree, but what Davis and Cousins think is far more important to the long-term of this franchise.

It is actually quite a big thing if Davis truly believes this team with Cousins heathy is a contender.

It was only a few months ago people were trying to read the tea leaves about what Davis's compliments toward the Celtics depth and strengths signaled in terms of his true opinion on his current team.

I think Davis is doing everything he is for 2 reasons. Including wearing Cousins Jersey at the ASG.

1: He is actually really good friends with Cousins.

2: He is actively recruiting Cousins to resign here.

God I wish we could see what boogie and 3kola looked like together

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I love this!

Yea I think we can feel good about this core going forward. This is another 'growth' year, and most of next season may be, too, with the focus being on Cousins' returning to form off his injury. But they're a fun group with top talent that gelled a lot, we found out who the keepers are to solidify the core (AD/DMC/Jrue/Darius/Rondo/Moore?/and now Nikola!). We're pretty lucky for the team we follow to be have a clear top core that can get even better.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think Davis is doing everything he is for 2 reasons. Including wearing Cousins Jersey at the ASG.

I wish there was a 3rd component where it was also to impress other all-stars that they're a duo that will be together for a while. I mean 80% of player surveyed by ESPN says they think Cousins will re-sign here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wish there was a 3rd component where it was also to impress other all-stars that they're a duo that will be together for a while. I mean 80% of player surveyed by ESPN says they think Cousins will re-sign here.
    Yes maybe that is part of it too but we really don't have a ton of space to bring in another All Star.

Still it sends a good message to other players and maybe the non all star players that typically go to the Rockets or Warriors might take a chance here.

Don't know if we woulda got nicola if boogie hadn't gone down. I agree that next season jrue, 3twan, solo, ad, and boogie is really impressive as a starting 5 with nico and miller off the bench AD May be right. Next season. I'll be psyched if we get the 8th seed this year.

No one expects us to do well this year now so if we can sneak into 6th spot thats an accomplishment. Then you look at adding Boogie back and hopefully Frank Jackson will be a player. Get rid of Ajinca, few role players and who knows.

But it does start with AD playing like an all pro every night. beat who you should beat, split the rest. Really need Hill back this year.

It became obvious when AD got tossed vs minny. Boogie got between AD and the ref and was laughing the whole time.

Yes maybe that is part of it too but we really don't have a ton of space to bring in another All Star.

Still it sends a good message to other players and maybe the non all star players that typically go to the Rockets or Warriors might take a chance here.
    If there is one positive that has came out of this season so far, it is that a lot of our players that we have have either improved their value, or been moved for players that have much better value(I.E. Asik for Mirotic).

Unlike the post Gordon, Jrue, Evans acquisitions, a healthy career year Jrue, Etwaun, Diallo, and Mirotic are all moveable contracts now without having to give up an arm and leg or taking back someone's toxic assets if you can catch a bigger fish to put next to the Boogie/AD core. I think in our situation that is about the most you can ask other than hitting on a Malcolm Brogdon in the second round. It is the sort of positioning you saw franchises like OKC and Houston in that allowed them to land their next building block piece, or pick up the pieces of a major blow in OKC's case.

No guarantee the Pels ever make that happen, but at least it isn't complete fantasy realm for the franchise anymore.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

You don't contend for a championship without being in the luxury tax threshold. Hopefully we can get Benson to acknowledge that. Obviously, the cap isn't so simple we can just sign whomever we want, I'm sure. But we gotta be ready to pay that money when the time comes or we'll always dance around where we are.

We could take on another guy making a good chunk of change. It would require us trading Moore,Hill, and Ajinca (roughly 25 million between the 3), but it's definitely possible

The fact that Davis believes this is huge

I like the part where he says Rondo was like, “ I got this B”. Would we have gotten Playoff Rondo?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You don't contend for a championship without being in the luxury tax threshold. Hopefully we can get Benson to acknowledge that. Obviously, the cap isn't so simple we can just sign whomever we want, I'm sure. But we gotta be ready to pay that money when the time comes or we'll always dance around where we are.
    I wonder what next years cap will be???

Edit:estimated 101 mil
    Last edited by wnelson; 02-20-2018 at 08:06 PM.

The thing that frustrates me about jrue is guy could be am elite scorer and defender we've seen it this year alone if he had that killer instinct of kobe or Westbrook every night just wow. I just wish we had some way of him actually seeing you can score at will if you really wanted too lol

Did anyone realise AD was this T H I C C now?

Looking broad as hell. Dat neck too. Dude looking like a bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    The thing that frustrates me about jrue is guy could be am elite scorer and defender we've seen it this year alone if he had that killer instinct of kobe or Westbrook every night just wow. I just wish we had some way of him actually seeing you can score at will if you really wanted too lol

Jrue's defense is much better than Westbrook or Kobe. I think it's extremely hard to be an elite two way player. It's just that people don't give as much credit to the defensive end that Jrue is elite on.

Outside of Jimmy Butler and Paul George I can't think of another truly elite two way player (probably Kwahi if he's healthy and returns to form). I would rank Jrue just below them offensively and defensively but he also happens to be a guard instead of a SF. Jrue is right now probably the best guard defender in the league. His offensive game just need to go up 1 more level and he would truly be elite on both ends.

I however doubt it ever happens, nor do I need it to. Jrue has earned his pay this year. Hopefully he keeps up at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    We could take on another guy making a good chunk of change. It would require us trading Moore,Hill, and Ajinca (roughly 25 million between the 3), but it's definitely possible
    Possible absolutely. But would still be a hard move and gut a good bit of our depth.

I probably make that move for a SF though since he would fill that hole. Then Jrue and Rondo can still start.

Jrue's defense is much better than Westbrook or Kobe. I think it's extremely hard to be an elite two way player. It's just that people don't give as much credit to the defensive end that Jrue is elite on.

Outside of Jimmy Butler and Paul George I can't think of another truly elite two way player (probably Kwahi if he's healthy and returns to form). I would rank Jrue just below them offensively and defensively but he also happens to be a guard instead of a SF. Jrue is right now probably the best guard defender in the league. His offensive game just need to go up 1 more level and he would truly be elite on both ends.

I however doubt it ever happens, nor do I need it to. Jrue has earned his pay this year. Hopefully he keeps up at this level.
    He has earned it in my opinion but I'm just saying we've see him at points this year where he just scores at will and defends just about anyone and of could get that even half the the nights he plays he'd be the perfect number 3

Is it Friday yet?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    I like it so hopefully they show some value the rest of the year. You have to figure we’ll be in the luxury tax next year so a player for 18-25 mill would almost setup the starters. Fill the rest with MLE. Hopefully Henzonja and Payton could use the whole thing each getting 4-5 million. If not I’m sure we’ll be able to swing something that good. Still holding out for Kemba. Imagine
    Kemba, Elfrid, jackson
    Jrue,
    Henzonja, Miller
    Davis, Mirotic
    Cousins

A good backup SG would have us with a great rotation

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    I like the part where he says Rondo was like, “ I got this B”. Would we have gotten Playoff Rondo?
    Are we getting playoff Rondo right now? He seems to have responded to both his "benching" and Boogie going down in a positive manner.

Also, his taking IT completely out of the game might have been his best defensive performance of the year, lol. I hope he comes out of all star break as a guy that can consistently drop something close to a triple double if given the minutes.

Thread Information