Pelicans Report

Thread: Loomis is never going away

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Loomis is never going away

This is just a reminder that has gotten lost in the National and local stories about the Saints/Pels management for those who don’t understand the Loomis role.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...92c3e.amp.html

According to the will, if the trust formed the same day the document was signed ceases to exist, all of his property would go into another trust run by Gayle and his trusted lieutenant, Saints and Pelicans President Dennis Lauscha, with Gayle having exclusive voting power in matters concerning the sports franchises.

Lauscha was named "independent testamentory executor" of the succession.

The will also singles out Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis and longtime Benson spokesman Greg Bensel for potential roles. They would serve as co-executors of Benson's estate if both Lauscha and Gayle Benson become "unwilling or unable" to serve in their capacities for any reason, with Loomis having the final say on any matters on which the two men disagree.
    In other words, his role is more akin to owner or owners rep.

It's fine if Loomis is around. Especially as an ownership proxy. He's a good business mind and knows what it takes to have a successful organization. Now he needs to find someone he trusts enough in the basketball side that he can let them have the same control over the Pelicans that Loomis enjoys with the Saints, and become a rubber stamp. He doesn't need to make basketball decisions. He needs to make decisions about the people who will make the basketball decisions.

Jeff Ireland and Coach Peyton are making most decisions on Saints. My expectations are that next GM/Coach of Pels will hope to operate similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Jeff Ireland and Coach Peyton are making most decisions on Saints. My expectations are that next GM/Coach of Pels will hope to operate similarly.
    That would be a perfectly reasonable structure. Loomis doesn't have to go away for the Pelicans to be successful. He just needs to trust the guys running the organization.

If anything you want a guy like Loomis to pay more attention to the Pels. The guy is very good at his job which is negotiating and numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If anything you want a guy like Loomis to pay more attention to the Pels. The guy is very good at his job which is negotiating and numbers.
    I agree. I think as an owners rep, Loomis is probably more prepared to keep an eye on the cap and the decisions of a bball GM than your typical NBA owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He is also good at giving away draft picks too.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    He is also good at giving away draft picks too.
    Yep. You can draw parallels to how both clubs operate when they perceive they are in WIN NOW mode. Hopefully they embrace a recognition that they are in rebuild.

The Franchise    Contributor   

all this talk about Loomis' role never made much sense to me. is he a basketball guy? no. does he have Gayle's ear? yes. so freaking what? every owner who has come in to the league since forever has trusted people in their ear who aren't 'basketball' people. now does Loomis as a 'sports exec' maybe carry more weight in the mind of GB because of his Saints role than the college roommate of the guy who owns the Grizzlies? (for the sake of the arguement, assume that the college roomate is the 'EVP of Synergy' or some other nonsense for the company that made the GRiz owner his fortune) Somebody having that influence is NOT the problem, the problem is if that person is an idiot and gets out of their lane and overrules the basketball person. Loomis has influence, and so does Lauscha, and so does Bensel. And none of those guys are known for getting out of their lane. That isn't the issue for me.
    The two 'real' problems were not going away under Tom, and we'll see if they go away under Gayle. First, whoever they hire is going to be hired with the understanding that they report directly to Gayle - and then when they get here they are still a second tier next to Loomis, Lauscha and Bensel. It could be Griffin, or the Celts guy, of Coach Cal, or John Wooden, but whoever it is didn't evacuate to San Antonio with the old man, didn't watch Gleason block that punt with old man, didn't win a Super Bowl with the old man, didn't fight with Rita with the old man. Sorry sport, you go sit and the next table. And that's going to be the case with Gayle too, but the question is how much will that matter with her. And when whoever that person is, and they realize that it doesn't matter where they are on the 'org chart' that they still don't have that bond, what will that mean for them. The other issue is that as much as the folks out there say basketball is a priority, basktball is the 'step-child.' They may spend as much, or more, time working on basketball. They may love it, but it's not their first love. It ain't Sophy's choice picking where their passion is. But reportedly Gayle was the one pushing for basketball in the first place. So we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    all this talk about Loomis' role never made much sense to me. is he a basketball guy? no. does he have Gayle's ear? yes. so freaking what? every owner who has come in to the league since forever has trusted people in their ear who aren't 'basketball' people. now does Loomis as a 'sports exec' maybe carry more weight in the mind of GB because of his Saints role than the college roommate of the guy who owns the Grizzlies? (for the sake of the arguement, assume that the college roomate is the 'EVP of Synergy' or some other nonsense for the company that made the GRiz owner his fortune) Somebody having that influence is NOT the problem, the problem is if that person is an idiot and gets out of their lane and overrules the basketball person. Loomis has influence, and so does Lauscha, and so does Bensel. And none of those guys are known for getting out of their lane. That isn't the issue for me.
    The two 'real' problems were not going away under Tom, and we'll see if they go away under Gayle. First, whoever they hire is going to be hired with the understanding that they report directly to Gayle - and then when they get here they are still a second tier next to Loomis, Lauscha and Bensel. It could be Griffin, or the Celts guy, of Coach Cal, or John Wooden, but whoever it is didn't evacuate to San Antonio with the old man, didn't watch Gleason block that punt with old man, didn't win a Super Bowl with the old man, didn't fight with Rita with the old man. Sorry sport, you go sit and the next table. And that's going to be the case with Gayle too, but the question is how much will that matter with her. And when whoever that person is, and they realize that it doesn't matter where they are on the 'org chart' that they still don't have that bond, what will that mean for them. The other issue is that as much as the folks out there say basketball is a priority, basktball is the 'step-child.' They may spend as much, or more, time working on basketball. They may love it, but it's not their first love. It ain't Sophy's choice picking where their passion is. But reportedly Gayle was the one pushing for basketball in the first place. So we'll see.
    If I'm Gayle, I sell the loyalty that the organization has become known for. On both the football and basketball side they have shown a willingness to stick it out with leadership. Monty Williams was the only exception, but even that they can sell as their willingness to trust the GM. If I were Gayle, I would tell every candidate that walks through the door that I want to build the kind of relationship with my basketball people that Tom had with the football people. IF they look at Loomis and feel any sort of insecurity, I would assure them that just as Loomis/Lauscha/Bensel had the opportunity to be a part of the organization in a way that survived Mr. Benson's death, their future role with the organization could exceed anything any other team could offer. Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty. This team gave Dell Demps ample time to follow through on a vision. For the right candidate, length of contract should exceed the norm in the NBA. Even if you give them a 6 year deal, it's not hard for this ownership to eat the back end of the contract if they had to. Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty. That's the messaging I'd infuse throughout the organization following this dumpster fire.

Just wanted to link to Loomis' own words about his role with the Pelicans

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ss...is_says_r.html

I think all it was ever about was Mr. Benson having someone in the Pelicans organization that he knew and trusted.
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Just wanted to link to Loomis' own words about his role with the Pelicans

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ss...is_says_r.html

I think all it was ever about was Mr. Benson having someone in the Pelicans organization that he knew and trusted.

Gayle is the new sheriff in town. Glad she is showing her power. Hopefully she gets rid of the daaaaaaaooooooo sounds at games and other stupid sounds at the games.

Thread Information