Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Woj never reported Zion injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Woj never reported Zion injury.

He was on a segment on ESPN, and he talked about the Pelicans holding Zion out and said that it was not just the normal rest procedure. He didn't tweet it, but this was documented by tons of people.

For one example. That's what I mean when I say Woj reporting that it's not just rest, and that there is actual concern.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He was on a segment on ESPN, and he talked about the Pelicans holding Zion out and said that it was not just the normal rest procedure. He didn't tweet it, but this was documented by tons of people.

For one example. That's what I mean when I say Woj reporting that it's not just rest, and that there is actual concern.
    They’re likely being very very cautious. It’s not typical rest because they want to prevent a chronic problem before it starts. So, the worst case scenario is he has a bone bruise or a sprain. I think it’s best to be safe than sorry.

I suspect Gentry will limit his minutes if possible. We need him to get down to 270-275. Do that and work on shooting. I’d like to add an extra big or SF to give more depth so Zion can play under 30 min a game. I bet we make a trade to address this issue because it’s so important. We can also move Favors to PF and Okafor to Center.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    They’re likely being very very cautious. It’s not typical rest because they want to prevent a chronic problem before it starts. So, the worst case scenario is he has a bone bruise or a sprain. I think it’s best to be safe than sorry.

I suspect Gentry will limit his minutes if possible. We need him to get down to 270-275. Do that and work on shooting. I’d like to add an extra big or SF to give more depth so Zion can play under 30 min a game. I bet we make a trade to address this issue because it’s so important. We can also move Favors to PF and Okafor to Center.
    I mean, surely ''worst case scenario'' is that he's torn his meniscus or something and will be out for several months. That's the absolute worst case, right? Bone bruise or sprain would be kind of in the middle, and the best case would nothing wrong at all.

I honestly think he probably is like 270 right now. He looks slimmer than he did when he started at Duke last year, and he was 285 then, so if I was forced to guess I'd say he's probably closer to 270. And shooting will come: he was a better shooter than most realise at college, but he's not going to be a sharpshooter immediately in the NBA. Turning him into a reliable three point shooter is going to be an all-season thing, if not multi-season.

Why would you want Zion playing under 30 minutes a night? He's our star guy. Obviously you don't wanna be overtaxing him and making him play 38 minutes or something, but we already have enough depth at the 4 and 5 (Kenrich, Melli, Okafor, Favors, Hayes) that he'll only need to average 32 or so. Making a trade to address that now when it's really not a big issue seems like a weird prioritisation.

What I'm missing is this, where/when did this injury happen? He played out the game Monday. He was shown practicing two days ago. It seems like it's precautionary, and I'm going to believe that until I hear something official to the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    What I'm missing is this, where/when did this injury happen? He played out the game Monday. He was shown practicing two days ago. It seems like it's precautionary, and I'm going to believe that until I hear something official to the contrary
    I can't say for sure, they haven't announced it. I'd guess either the initial injury occurred a little while back, but that it hasn't really been an issue until now (he dinged his knee pretty back in the last game, maybe the soreness didn't show up until he'd slept on it?) or possibly he landed awkwardly or something in practice? Both seem possible.

Or, and this would be the most irritating one, maybe he just hurt it in general. Like how Larry Bird put his back out paving a driveway.

He's fine, nothing to see here. Time to move along.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    He's fine, nothing to see here. Time to move along.
    Let's hope.

It’s coming up on First Take. We may be getting more info next!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    It’s coming up on First Take. We may be getting more info next!
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ! Yeah, Cleveland A Smith is gonna be right about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ! Yeah, Cleveland A Smith is gonna be right about something.
    SAS actually made sense it was that Kellerman guy that gave off the wall thought.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I hope I've curried enough goodwill among you all to say this and not need to elaborate further...

Zion is fine. He's still been practicing. His knee was sore and there was some light swelling. They were being like a protective mother whose only child came home with the sniffles or something.

Everyone can calm down.

Thanks Eman, I always felt that it wasn't serious. Believe me if Zion suffered a serious injury we would know about it right away.

Hoping we can get Zion through season with whatever this soreness is.

Just further corroboration. Not a huge huge deal, not season ending, etc. Might miss first two weeks or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Just further corroboration. Not a huge huge deal, not season ending, etc. Might miss first two weeks or something.
    Series of weeks is not insignificant though. Would be interested to know what the injury is.

Per Bleacher he'll be out for "Weeks" to start the season.

Edit - Sorry I'm late.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Series of weeks is not insignificant though. Would be interested to know what the injury is.
    My first guess is the bone bruise hypothesis some others have mentioned.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If he misses the first two weeks, how many games is that? Like 6 or 7?

Wow just wow....we can never ever catch a break when it comes to injuries.
    Talk about a major blow to the Pels organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If he misses the first two weeks, how many games is that? Like 6 or 7?
    October 22nd until November 5th (two weeks) misses:

@ Raptors
    vs Mavericks
    @ Rockets
    vs Warriors
    vs Nuggets
    @ Thunder
    @ Nets

So yep, 7

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Rumor is it's a meniscus tear, hopefully that's just that a rumor and nothing more. Whatever the injury maybe the people who originally said his weight was an issue was correct. Can't be helping whatever the ailment is.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Rumor is it's a meniscus tear, hopefully that's just that a rumor and nothing more. Whatever the injury maybe the people who originally said his weight was an issue was correct. Can't be helping whatever the ailment is.
    Well, Woj has reported it's not a severe injury. Unless he has a very different definition of severe than most people, that means it's not a meniscus tear. A meniscus tear isn't 'out for weeks' level, it's more 'out for months'.

Edit: just wanna be clear, I don't mean months as in like, 6 months. I mean months as in 2, maaaaaybe 3 depending on precautions and speed of rehab.

Thread Information