Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Options- Who's out there?

Hall of Famer

Coaching Options- Who's out there?

Alvin looks like a guy not going to survive this.

So time to take a look on the market

David blatt- health issues

Somebody off the spurs bench -Messina, becky hammon

Somebody off Brad Steven's bench

Stan van Gundy- works at TNT now

Sam Cassell - on the clippers staff

Mark Jackson

Thibs

Dave joerger - fired for no reason by the Kings. Had the kings on the right track

I also think a good amount of these people wouldnt want the job until the season concluded
    Last edited by Speakthetruth; 11-08-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Jeff Van Gundy wanted the job a few years back (when we fired Minty), but in true Pels fashion we went with Gentry because he had slides or some ********.

#pelslife
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Jeff Van Gundy wanted the job a few years back (when we fired Minty), but in true Pels fashion we went with Gentry because he had slides or some ********.

#pelslife
    Wouldn't want Jeff Van Gundy anyway. The dude's a crank.

Same for Mark Jackson. Dude's a borderline basket-case.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Wouldn't want Jeff Van Gundy anyway. The dude's a crank.

Same for Mark Jackson. Dude's a borderline basket-case.
    Both are better options than the career loser we are rolling with now. Hell, the guy Gentry replaces would be a better option.

Both are better options than the career loser we are rolling with now. Hell, the guy Gentry replaces would be a better option.
    I'd much rather have Gentry coaching us to losses than have the franchise pay a single cent to Mark ''your teammates are possessed by demons'' Jackson.

I'd much rather have Gentry coaching us to losses than have the franchise pay a single cent to Mark ''your teammates are possessed by demons'' Jackson.
    We just need to avoid signing bad coaches in general lol. That’s how we landed in this massive dung pile.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We just need to avoid signing bad coaches in general lol. That’s how we landed in this massive dung pile.
    Yeah. Back last season when we were debating who was going to be the new GM, and we still wondered if maybe we'd be getting a new coach, I was in favour of taking the shot on Becky Hammon. Still would be.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    They need to let Vinson or finch finish the season.

Yeah. Back last season when we were debating who was going to be the new GM, and we still wondered if maybe we'd be getting a new coach, I was in favour of taking the shot on Becky Hammon. Still would be.
    I hate taking shots on unknowns, but we are in that kind of predicament. I can’t fathom who would be frothing at the mouth to coach us. Hammon would be interesting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    They need to let Vinson or finch finish the season.
    Nah we straight. Tank for Zion 2.0

The game has passed Gentry by. No player is buying his shtick anymore.

I hate taking shots on unknowns, but we are in that kind of predicament. I can’t fathom who would be frothing at the mouth to coach us. Hammon would be interesting for sure.
    There are few places I trust more than Pop's bench to generate solid coaches

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    They need someone that can do something like Nurse did and make adjustments. He called perfect timeouts and coached as the game played along. A young team needs that. Not some guy who doesn’t move until his team is losing by 20 and jumps up like he was paying attention to call a timeout. Dude sits there with bloodshot eyes like he is waiting to be fired.

There are few places I trust more than Pop's bench to generate solid coaches
    If Becky is a clone, I will take her every day of the week. It doesn’t always pan out that way though. I’d be willing to give her a go if some bigshot doesn’t hand us his resume

If Becky is a clone, I will take her every day of the week. It doesn’t always pan out that way though. I’d be willing to give her a go if some bigshot doesn’t hand us his resume
    I mean, she's probably not going to be a Pop clone That would be a pipe-dream if ever I've heard one.

You've also got to consider options. If we don't want insane people who are generally bad coaches, then that rules out a lot of currently available guys. Only really Blatt, Thibs, and Joerger come to mind from that. Of those three, Blatt has a serious illness that will limit him dramatically long term, and Thibs' calling card of defense hasn't really developed since about 2013. He also has no sense of minutes control or moderation; can't run a rotation properly.

So it's Joerger or taking a shot on someone new. I wouldn't hate the Joerger idea, but his career in general hasn't been sparkling even if he was good in Sacramento recently. I'd rather just take Hammon, assuming she's willing to leave Pop's bench.

The only problem with the Greg Popovich’s coaching tree is there is only one Greg Popovich, and the branches of his tree don’t come with him. His best offshoots are Mike Budenholzer, Monty, and Brent Brown. Budenholzer sure, Brent and Monty though...?

The only problem with the Greg Popovich’s coaching tree is there is only one Greg Popovich, and the branches of his tree don’t come with him. His best offshoots are Mike Budenholzer, Monty, and Brent Brown. Budenholzer sure, Brent and Monty though...?
    Brent and Monty may not be Pop, but I'd much rather have either of them than Gentry

I mean, she's probably not going to be a Pop clone That would be a pipe-dream if ever I've heard one.

You've also got to consider options. If we don't want insane people who are generally bad coaches, then that rules out a lot of currently available guys. Only really Blatt, Thibs, and Joerger come to mind from that. Of those three, Blatt has a serious illness that will limit him dramatically long term, and Thibs' calling card of defense hasn't really developed since about 2013. He also has no sense of minutes control or moderation; can't run a rotation properly.

So it's Joerger or taking a shot on someone new. I wouldn't hate the Joerger idea, but his career in general hasn't been sparkling even if he was good in Sacramento recently. I'd rather just take Hammon, assuming she's willing to leave Pop's bench.
    Don’t get me wrong, I realize there are a dearth of options. I definitely don’t want Tommy T and Blatt is probably out of the picture. I would still rather an established name if at all possible. I don’t think that will happen, so Becky is very realistic and I’d approve of giving her a shot.

Make Finch the interim and revisit in the offseason

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    They need someone that can do something like Nurse did and make adjustments. He called perfect timeouts and coached as the game played along. A young team needs that. Not some guy who doesn’t move until his team is losing by 20 and jumps up like he was paying attention to call a timeout. Dude sits there with bloodshot eyes like he is waiting to be fired.
    Nurse was a great find for the Raptors. He will be on the top coaches in the NBA for a long time

Lakers screwed up so bad by trying to dictate coaching staff (including the horrendous Jason Kid and others) that Tyronn Lue turned down the head coaching position to be an assistant under Doc; Lue is ripe for the picking.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Lakers screwed up so bad by trying to dictate coaching staff (including the horrendous Jason Kid and others) that Tyronn Lue turned down the head coaching position to be an assistant under Doc; Lue is ripe for the picking.
    Vogel>Lue

The game has passed Gentry by. No player is buying his shtick anymore.
    Agree . Even Tim Floyd was better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Alvin looks like a guy not going to survive this.

So time to take a look on the market

David blatt- health issues

Somebody off the spurs bench -Messina, becky hammon

Somebody off Brad Steven's bench

Stan van Gundy- works at TNT now

Sam Cassell - on the clippers staff

Mark Jackson

Thibs

Dave joerger - fired for no reason by the Kings. Had the kings on the right track

I also think a good amount of these people wouldnt want the job until the season concluded

Someone that knows the game that players can relate too. One name that sticks out that David Griffin has connections too, one name that would have fan interest.

Steve Nash
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-08-2019 at 11:53 PM.

I'd take Swin Cash at this point.

Thread Information