Pelicans Report

Page 137 of 157 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 147 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Don’t disagree. An NBA “depth chart” is just a rough approximation of projected roles / minutes for players. Here what I’m saying is that I hope the Pels prioritize developing their young guys over giving minutes to Temple and Sato, I think Graham is a viable starter at PG and has upside at that position, I don’t think NAW projects as a lead guard and should play the vast majority of his minutes off ball, I think it’s possible Jones may end up being a better option to spell Zion than either Hart or Hayes due to his defensive versatility, ball skills and basketball IQ and I think he and Murphy can be in a line up together with Marshall despite the usual reluctance to play young guys because all three are much more mature players than rookies we’ve previously drafted or signed. I also hope that we are willing and able to go 10 deep more often this season as I think saving the wear and tear on the starters is worth the trade off over the course of a long regular season. The playoffs are a different matter.

I agree that Kira will backup Graham although I think Tomas Satoransky is the better option provided he is still here and has not traded. Also, I continue to hold out hope that BI will get some run at, what has heretofore been known as, the '2'.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Dept Charts are more for football IMO. In a game that is positionless, especially in staggered lineups, I think its more productive to imagine rotations. So, what is the...

Starting Lineup:

Staggered Lineup #1 (5 min mark of 1st to the end of the quarter)

Staggered Lineup #2 (Beginning of the 2nd quarter lineup)

Finishing lineup

Usually teams go 9 deep. Maybe 10 at the most. And when you do that exercise, I think it is pretty to see that a "backup PF" isnt as needed as when you do the football style depth chart
    that is all well and good, but a "depth chart" is utilized mostly when it comes to injuries etc..... no different in NBA than NFL as needing to recognize who replaces player A if he goes down/out for some reason.... all dynamics can change then....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Dept Charts are more for football IMO. In a game that is positionless, especially in staggered lineups, I think its more productive to imagine rotations. So, what is the...

Starting Lineup:

Staggered Lineup #1 (5 min mark of 1st to the end of the quarter)

Staggered Lineup #2 (Beginning of the 2nd quarter lineup)

Finishing lineup

Usually teams go 9 deep. Maybe 10 at the most. And when you do that exercise, I think it is pretty to see that a "backup PF" isnt as needed as when you do the football style depth chart
    It?s just quicker and more aesthetically pleasing to break it down into positions when discussing the roster. I agree we don?t necessarily need a back up 4. I think Murphy would honestly be fine against most backup 4s besides like Kanter or someone like that. So would Naji or Herb.

If it was between Lauri and Buddy, give me Buddy all day. His value will just continue to rise. I have no doubt we could get a first for him after the season from a contender if we want it. Or we could just keep him and have crazy spacing and a bad defense.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It?s just quicker and more aesthetically pleasing to break it down into positions when discussing the roster. I agree we don?t necessarily need a back up 4. I think Murphy would honestly be fine against most backup 4s besides like Kanter or someone like that. So would Naji or Herb.

If it was between Lauri and Buddy, give me Buddy all day. His value will just continue to rise. I have no doubt we could get a first for him after the season from a contender if we want it. Or we could just keep him and have crazy spacing and a bad defense.
    Why do we need to be quick? Is the regular season coming up tomorrow?

You guys could do it this way, I wont stop you. But its not how coaches think of rotations at all. Its not like we do 5 man unit swaps, or that the same guy gets subbed in for the same guy every time (the backup PF gets subbed in for the starting PF) -- so like I said, go ahead and do it the simple, aesthetically pleasing way. But if you want to really see where the team has needs, think more about lineups than depth charts
    @mcnamara247

Why do we need to be quick? Is the regular season coming up tomorrow?

You guys could do it this way, I wont stop you. But its not how coaches think of rotations at all. Its not like we do 5 man unit swaps, or that the same guy gets subbed in for the same guy every time (the backup PF gets subbed in for the starting PF) -- so like I said, go ahead and do it the simple, aesthetically pleasing way. But if you want to really see where the team has needs, think more about lineups than depth charts
    Most of the time for me it’s just a way to count your guys. I think most people on here are smart enough to understand team needs, and usually the roster breakdown is a small piece of a bigger point so I don’t necessarily want to spend the time to fully break it down. I’ll save that for when the roster is complete and we have some sort of lineup thread.

Jahmius Ramsey looks pretty good for the Kings so far. He was a second round pick for them last year but he had first round talent (some said lottery talent). With Fox and Haliburton as starters and Mitchell as your backup 1, Hart makes so much more sense for that team than Buddy.

I dont think ita Buddy vs Hart, if I am them. Its Buddy vs all the possible things I could get from the other 29 teams. And thats what is hard to know - what are their other options? We have discussed a Hart for Buddy related swap with them for almost two weeks now. If they really loved the idea, why hasnt it been agreed to yet? Would have had to take back even less salary if they put it in the Memphis deal. Unless they really like Satoransky for some reason

I'd assume it has to do with finding a third team to take Sato, which now obviously we have to wait 15 more days or whatever. It seems like the preference is to trade for Buddy via matching salaries in order to hang on to that TPE for the deadline. We saved that TPE by not including Hield in the Memphis deal, if I'm not mistaken.

I dont think ita Buddy vs Hart, if I am them. Its Buddy vs all the possible things I could get from the other 29 teams. And thats what is hard to know - what are their other options? We have discussed a Hart for Buddy related swap with them for almost two weeks now. If they really loved the idea, why hasnt it been agreed to yet? Would have had to take back even less salary if they put it in the Memphis deal. Unless they really like Satoransky for some reason
    Wouldn't Hart have to agree to Sacramento? I could see a world where that doesn't happen because Hart won't agree

He wants Sacramento. Still close with Gentry and Luke. Was leaking our family business to them all year. Part of the reason he fell out of favor

He wants Sacramento. Still close with Gentry and Luke. Was leaking our family business to them all year. Part of the reason he fell out of favor
    I see. I guess it's just hard for me to picture anyone wanting to be in Sacramento in much the same way the rest of the NBA world looks at NOLA

And sticking up for Bledsoe in the locker room right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, Josh was running his mouth to Sac? Not shocked, if true, but who did he fall out of favor w/ SVG or Griff?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    And sticking up for Bledsoe in the locker room right?

Interesting, the players did like Bled, at least they stood up for him. Maybe their dislike for SVG was just stronger than understanding Bled was horrible and led to us losing plenty of games. It's also funny b/c it seems SVG really liked Bled too (at least he played him all the time which made you think he liked him over other players).

Oh wow... didn't know it was that much drama with him, and he was the only person that I liked from the LA trade.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Oh wow... didn't know it was that much drama with him, and he was the only person that I liked from the LA trade.
    You don't like Brandon Ingram?

Why would he do that? Why would they even care?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Why would he do that? Why would they even care?
    Poster on here shared an article or tweet that there were rumblings that Griffin was micromanaging SVG with the rotations. Apparently, that info came from Gentry or someone close to him. Basically, a way for Gentry to justify why things didn?t go well for him and bash the person who fired him.

At least that?s what I remember from the post.

You guys would be shocked how 'Gossip Girl' the entire league is. From players to coaches to execs. My theory is that the vast majority of execs and agents were nerds/losers, etc in their early years and nobody ever cared about what they have to say. Now, they have all the hot gossip and love that people hear what they want to say. They all chatter like housewives.

You guys would be shocked how 'Gossip Girl' the entire league is. From players to coaches to execs. My theory is that the vast majority of execs and agents were nerds/losers, etc in their early years and nobody ever cared about what they have to say. Now, they have all the hot gossip and love that people hear what they want to say. They all chatter like housewives.
    Listen to Hollinger and Duncan for 5 minutes

Are the Kings the main focus for a deal with him now or are they still considering re-signing him? If he goes to Kings, do you expect it would just be for a TPE or are they really trying to work it into a deal for Buddy?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    my wife once told her friends that she had made a New Years resolution to never, ever repeat gossip again.... she then alerted them that they better listen very closely the first time....

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Are the Kings the main focus for a deal with him now or are they still considering re-signing him? If he goes to Kings, do you expect it would just be for a TPE or are they really trying to work it into a deal for Buddy?
    No clue where it stands now. I tweeted Aug 2nd we were talking with Kings about a S&T with Hart (first, by the way, but thats another matter for those who continue to say I am full of you know what) - and talks started before the 2nd. So, they have talked for close to two weeks now and no resolution. Every trade is far less likely to happen than it is to happen. All I know at this point. It will either happen or it wont

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I would love to know the Kings true feelings about Harrison Barnes. That’s a guy that can bring shooting, as well as not taking other things off the table. Good defender, rebounder, etc. I’m not sure it’s a great defensive fit with the starting lineup (essentially having Ingram play like a 2 guard) and I imagine the Kings would want a fair amount more. But I’ve always liked Barnes.

Thread Information