Pelicans Report

Thread: This takes the STINKG out of AD Trade

This takes the STINKG out of AD Trade

Makes you feel a trade with Boston might be the best option knowing a player(s) would like to come to NOLA!

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/11/new...oston-celtics/

Yea would be interesting to see Tatum unleashed. Might only end up being a Booker/Melo level, which isn't amazing in modern NBA terms, but he could be better, never know until you try!

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Yea would be interesting to see Tatum unleashed. Might only end up being a Booker/Melo level, which isn't amazing in modern NBA terms, but he could be better, never know until you try!
    Not sure why you're comparing a 3/4 to a 1/2 with Booker

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Not sure why you're comparing a 3/4 to a 1/2 with Booker
    Because they play a similar style....

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    wat
    I mean they are both guys who can iso and get their own shot, love mid range but can shoot the three fine. I'll concede Booker is a better play maker and Tatum a better rebounder but their offensive skill set is quite similar and Tatum, if given the reigns, would look a lot more like Booker than he does in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I mean they are both guys who can iso and get their own shot, love mid range but can shoot the three fine. I'll concede Booker is a better play maker and Tatum a better rebounder but their offensive skill set is quite similar and Tatum, if given the reigns, would look a lot more like Booker than he does in Boston.
    Also Tatum plays defense, and Booker doesn't.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also Tatum plays defense, and Booker doesn't.
    A tad off topic my pond jumper friend, but let's play connect the dots !
    1) Lakers & Punk Paul try to spinal tap Pels
    2) AD Senior throws shade on Boston w/ IT debacle
    3) Marxus Morris now whining that Boston kinda well, don't play together have Zero fun.
    4) Who is Marcus Morris AGENT ? &
    5) Where will good ole Marcus be when AD joins C's ? On the pine is the answer .

Funny how those dots connect, eh?

Man. It will be refreshing to trade for hungry players that want to be here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Funny how those dots connect, eh?

Man. It will be refreshing to trade for hungry players that want to be here.
    Tatum, from what Hoopshype article said, wouldn't mind coming to Pels & being face of franchise.
    If we take on face value, it's a start.

If Tatum can come in and reach his potential then it will make this trade more bearable, but if he turns into another Eric Gordon, so help us, that could be the nail that kills this franchise.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Tatum, from what Hoopshype article said, wouldn't mind coming to Pels & being face of franchise.
    If we take on face value, it's a start.
    My guess is, that would mean having to part with Jrue.

Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    My guess is, that would mean having to part with Jrue.
    I don't know, Jrue is a humble guy. If Tatum comes in and lights it up we know Jrue doesn't mind being part of a big three or dynamic duo. If he can win I think he would be happy.

The thing that worries me about Tatum is that, yes, we know he has the potential to be extremely good, but how good is that?

Cause having him be in the Celtics trade is a limiter. Without him, you can kind of demand what you want. With him, there's clamp on the number of picks/assets they'll give up. Will he be good enough to offset that?

Right now, in his second year, he's averaging 16/6/2, on 45/38/86 shooting splits. He averages about a steal and a block per game too.

His per 36 minutes are 19/7.3/2.2 with a little over a steal and block per game. He only averages 31 minutes per, and his usage rating is only 22% as well, so if he got the usage rating of a star player (more like 25-28%) you'd expect to see those numbers rise. But how far would you expect to see them rise?

He's about to turn 21, so that's still young. If his stats rise by, say, 50%, by his prime then we'd expect him to reach a peak around 27.5/11/3.3 per 36 minutes, which would obviously be very good for a franchise star that you'd expect to be playing around 36 minutes a game anyway. But if his stats only rise by 25% or so, then what's your ceiling in the West when your best player puts up something like 24/9/2.8?

I don't know, and I still really like Tatum, but I guess what I'm asking in a long, meandering, unfocused way, is what do you guys think Tatum's ceiling is? Where do you see him maxing out as a player?

The thing that worries me about Tatum is that, yes, we know he has the potential to be extremely good, but how good is that?

Cause having him be in the Celtics trade is a limiter. Without him, you can kind of demand what you want. With him, there's clamp on the number of picks/assets they'll give up. Will he be good enough to offset that?

Right now, in his second year, he's averaging 16/6/2, on 45/38/86 shooting splits. He averages about a steal and a block per game too.

His per 36 minutes are 19/7.3/2.2 with a little over a steal and block per game. He only averages 31 minutes per, and his usage rating is only 22% as well, so if he got the usage rating of a star player (more like 25-28%) you'd expect to see those numbers rise. But how far would you expect to see them rise?

He's about to turn 21, so that's still young. If his stats rise by, say, 50%, by his prime then we'd expect him to reach a peak around 27.5/11/3.3 per 36 minutes, which would obviously be very good for a franchise star that you'd expect to be playing around 36 minutes a game anyway. But if his stats only rise by 25% or so, then what's your ceiling in the West when your best player puts up something like 24/9/2.8?

I don't know, and I still really like Tatum, but I guess what I'm asking in a long, meandering, unfocused way, is what do you guys think Tatum's ceiling is? Where do you see him maxing out as a player?
    I think he can be the guy.

I also think we need to ask for Tatum, Brown and at least two firsts including the Memphis pick. If the Knicks are willing to part with the number one pick, if they get it, I think Boston would do that deal and maybe even another first. If the Knicks get 2nd or 3rd then you probably have to replace Brown with Smart. In essence though, it really comes down to what pick the Knicks end up with, if they are willing to part with it, and any other offers from other teams. People say we are losing leverage but we are not. Because at the end of the day we have the asset everyone covets.

It all comes down to the fact that Dell, if he is still here, could tell Ainge "This is what it will take for you to get AD." If he says no, you ship AD to the knicks or wherever. We should get a great return for AD and if the so called front runners are not offering what we want, you deal him somewhere else.

Also, if you compare his usage and stats to AD in there first two years I think they have a similar impact if you take into account the difference in position. Will Tatum continue on the same trajectory? Who knows, but he's off to a great start.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 02-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think he can be the guy.
    Also, if you compare his usage and stats to AD in there first two years I think they have a similar impact if you take into account the difference in position. Will Tatum continue on the same trajectory? Who knows, but he's off to a great start.
    I agree completely about the trade technicalities.

My question is, how good do you think he'll be as ''the guy''? Melo was ''the guy'' in NY, and NY sucked every year, and Melo didn't play defense and shot low percentages, etc etc. Just being ''the guy'' doesn't mean much. I'm wondering how good he can be, not whether he can be the highest usage player.

Also, has Tatum had a similar impact in his first two years as AD did in his?

AD first two seasons: 17.3/9.1/1.3/1.3/2.3, 52% from the floor, +13 net rating, 5.9 VORP, 16.5 WS, 3.6 BPM, 24.4 PER
    Tatum first two seasons: 14.9/5.5/1.7/1.0/0.8, 47% from the floor, +5 net rating, 2.6 VORP, 11.4 WS, 0.5 BPM, 15.6 PER

I agree completely about the trade technicalities.

My question is, how good do you think he'll be as ''the guy''? Melo was ''the guy'' in NY, and NY sucked every year, and Melo didn't play defense and shot low percentages, etc etc. Just being ''the guy'' doesn't mean much. I'm wondering how good he can be, not whether he can be the highest usage player.

Also, has Tatum had a similar impact in his first two years as AD did in his?

AD first two seasons: 17.3/9.1/1.3/1.3/2.3, 52% from the floor, +13 net rating, 5.9 VORP, 16.5 WS, 3.6 BPM, 24.4 PER
    Tatum first two seasons: 14.9/5.5/1.7/1.0/0.8, 47% from the floor, +5 net rating, 2.6 VORP, 11.4 WS, 0.5 BPM, 15.6 PER
    I should have said he could be "that" guy. By "that" guy I mean a franchise cornerstone that can compete at the highest level. Not a chucker that puts up empty stats on bad teams like Melo. We already know Tatum plays defense too.

I know he doesn't measure up when you look at his first two years of advanced stats compared to AD, but who does? By impact I mean having enough ability to carry a team when needed and also create excitement and put butts in the seats.

Honestly, Zion would have a similar impact as well and I wouldn't be upset if we end up with him. I just feel like Tatum is more of a sure thing at this point since he's actually been getting it done in real life and still has a ton of potential. Zion is all potential right now.

Randle has turned into the 3pt goat

Thread Information