Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins (Zion comments)

And so it begins (Zion comments)

Yeah it?s tending . James Dolan left MSG to come down here and see the game for a reason last Wednesday. Now we got the Zion comments

Knicks fans are already dreaming it in 2023

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-playing-here
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-18-2021 at 08:00 PM.

The correct answer is the only place I like and want to play at is the Smoothie King Center.

Zion did not quite say that.

On that note do you think Gayle needs to clean house again to keep Zion here long term?

The real question is, what are the Pels going to do about that?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The real question is, what are the Pels going to do about that?
    Bring back Randle if he leaves? This organization needs to get its act together quick. Let Zion run the team. It’s a players league.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Bring back Randle if he leaves? This organization needs to get its act together quick. Let Zion run the team. It's a players league..
    Respectfully, we went down that path before and it ended with a fond farewell.

"Th-Th-That's All Folks!!!"

Are we really doing this? It's going to be a long several years with Zion if you guys are going to get worked up over every interview. Look. Either we will be successful building a winner around him and he'll have no reason to look elsewhere, or we won't and we'll be doing the Chris Paul and Anthony Davis thing all over. Let's just focus on the Pelicans role in this and not let the outside noise get to us.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Ohhh, this isn?t anything. If Lonzo goes to the Knicks and we do terrible next season and New York goes to finals I would be concerned. But honestly, Zion will probably leave New Orleans or demand a trade if we don?t make serious progress very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Ohhh, this isn?t anything. If Lonzo goes to the Knicks and we do terrible next season and New York goes to finals I would be concerned. But honestly, Zion will probably leave New Orleans or demand a trade if we don?t make serious progress very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Lonzo is a restricted FA but we could do a sign and trade. If so I want RJ Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The correct answer is the only place I like and want to play at is the Smoothie King Center.

Zion did not quite say that.

On that note do you think Gayle needs to clean house again to keep Zion here long term?
    How many players in the past have said the same thing and did not force their way to NY?

Zion is one of those guys who feels the need to give a pleasant platitude to whoever or whatever he’s speaking about. If he was in the Forum, he’d probably say the same thing if asked how he liked playing there. The problem of course, is that it applies to how he likes playing in New Orleans as well.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How many players in the past have said the same thing and did not force their way to NY?
    It's not that. It's that we live in the social media era where comments like these are heightened to no end. Woj just said that his comments are "something to watch," big media accounts are posting it everywhere, Twitterverse are already Photoshopping him in a Knicks jersey. Like we're not going to escape this nonsense unless he signs that 3rd contract, which based off past history, it's much less likely that will happen.

It was hard to ignore his reaction when he was asked about the Garden. He has never beamed like that when he was asked about NOLA. So take that however you want.

You hated dealing with Laker fans, well Knick fans, who have been desperate for success for the past 20 years are a different entity. I, for one, am not looking forward to it unless we start winning basketball games, and management gets their head out of their asses.

ESPN likening to the idea of him in NY. This escalated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post

He does not have to force his way once his rookie contract expires. He can just leave.

You don’t think the NBA would want him in a big market like NY or LA?

Zion is very clever, he intentionally got overly excited and smiled at the question. I think Zion said that as a clear warning shot. Get competent leadership or he is out. He is not going to wait 7 years like CP and AD. This whole give SVG and Griff time thing is dead. They need to be gone at season's end if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Zion is very clever, he intentionally got overly excited and smiled at the question. I think Zion said that as a clear warning shot. Get competent leadership or he is out. He is not going to wait 7 years like CP and AD. This whole give SVG and Griff time thing is dead. They need to be gone at season's end if not sooner.
    Ding Ding Ding. The people saying we need to give the FO time aren’t living in the current NBA. This is a microwave generation. People need to do things automatically, or you need to replace them with people who can. That idea of “we will build organically” worked when players had less power (or none) and the FO could wait to make moves as they came open. These days a FO has to make things come open and then make the move (or perhaps have someone behind the scenes make things happen in order for things to come open). We have a limited window here. If Griff and Langdon can’t get it done by next year, there is no point in keeping them around.

I am a little curious why everyone thinks Zion will bolt after the third year of his rookie contract. Is it because of the amount of money he makes in endorsements where he can afford to take less with another team? Or has there been some change to the rules which allow for the player's initial team the ability to pay him much more than other teams?

On the Locked on Pelicans podcast, the guy who does it seemed to allude to there being a reason that Zion might not sign his extension but he never went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I am a little curious why everyone thinks Zion will bolt after the third year of his rookie contract. Is it because of the amount of money he makes in endorsements where he can afford to take less with another team? Or has there been some change to the rules which allow for the player's initial team the ability to pay him much more than other teams?

On the Locked on Pelicans podcast, the guy who does it seemed to allude to there being a reason that Zion might not sign his extension but he never went into it.
    He wants to win. Simple as that. Zion won't just blindingly sign. He says it every interview he wants to win. If this team doesn't make the playoffs in the next year the odds Zion pulls a Shaq goes up to 52%
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I think a bit of why Zion could bypass that contract has to do with his endorsements. That doesn’t mean that he would go to NY or LA, because he has show he is marketable anywhere he goes, but he makes good money in endorsements, so money on that contract might not be enough reason for him to stay.

The other factor is, his body is built in a way that unless he can reconfigure his game, he won’t be this guy for 10-15 years, so if he wants to win a title (when he is at his peak), he can’t waste his time with a team parading out the talent that is currently being paraded out. If a competitive team has cap space, and they are a Zion away from winning it all (and he can see that 2 years out), then why resign with the Pels when he can go win a title while he is young and healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    He wants to win. Simple as that. Zion won't just blindingly sign. He says it every interview he wants to win. If this team doesn't make the playoffs in the next year the odds Zion pulls a Shaq goes up to 52%
    Exactly

I like how one comment has sent so many people off into a tizzy.

Listen, we all know when we draft a great player that the clock is on and that the media will take every possible opportunity to spin a narrative: that is how it works when you are a small market with no real winning history. Everyone knows that, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Zion making a relatively benign comment about another stadium (not even the franchise!) gets turned into a story.

This has been happening since before he played a single game and it will continue for as long as he's in New Orleans, whether that's 2 more years or 5 more years or 10 more years. And no, it doesn't matter how much success you have: Giannis was coming off deep play-off runs when the entire conversation was ''will he leave?!!?! Will he demand a trade!?!?!''

Zion may well ask for a trade at some point. It's possible, and it would be silly to pretend it's not something that could happen. But getting all wound up about it now when he has at least two more years on his deal and then he hits restricted free agency is kind of silly. It's like getting upset that your wife might eventually leave you on your honeymoon.
    Basketball.

Nobody is upset about it (unless I am reading some posts incorrectly). Seems like a lot of level headed expectations are being shared, and a realization that this isn’t your grandfather’s NBA. No tizzy to be found.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Nobody is upset about it (unless I am reading some posts incorrectly). Seems like a lot of level headed expectations are being shared, and a realization that this isn’t your grandfather’s NBA. No tizzy to be found.
    I think we're also very tired having to defend this franchise left and right, when the franchise has done very little for us in the past.

Basketball Guru
    the board get sensitive at times and see what it wants...

I'm talking more generally. NBA Reddit and Pelicans Twitter, for example, have had their fair share of dramatic outbursts over it. And also the general media, which has latched onto the comments quite quickly.

This thread itself is pretty level headed about it, for the most part; I do think the whole ''Zion smiled as a veiled warning shot to the management'' is a bit tin-foil hat, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I think we're also very tired having to defend this franchise left and right, when the franchise has done very little for us in the past.
    It’s true, if the franchise is looking for goodwill from the fans it better keep looking, because none is offered here. You have to earn it.

Thread Information