Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 8th November - New Orleans Pelicans VS Toronto Raptors - 1-6

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Lost the players 7 games in? C'mon man. That's not even realistic. It's a young team that does not give energy for 48 minutes.

One solution is to stop playing Redick. We dont have the length to compensate for his defensive errors.
    Another solution would be to put Redick in position to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Another solution would be to put Redick in position to succeed.
    How would you suggest we do that? This is a 35 year old vet, not some 20 year old rookie. What do you mean put him in a position to succeed?

How would you suggest we do that? This is a 35 year old vet, not some 20 year old rookie. What do you mean put him in a position to succeed?
    The man has been a contributor on 14 playoff teams. He clearly can’t be bad at basketball. I get he isn’t the best defender, so maybe put more length on the floor with him. He’s always on the floor with a small lineup.

The man has been a contributor on 14 playoff teams. He clearly can’t be bad at basketball. I get he isn’t the best defender, so maybe put more length on the floor with him. He’s always on the floor with a small lineup.
    Yeah, this. He's bad on defense, sure, but he was bad on defense last year in Philly as well, and somehow they made him more effective than we did. His defensive woes can be covered, at least in the regular season, when he's on the court with larger, longer guys who can take the most dangerous assignments. He can't do that when he's sharing the court with Frank Jackson, E'twaun Moore, and Josh Hart; there isn't enough size or length there.
    Basketball.

We're 3rd in the league in ppg.. The offense is working. The defense is not

Edit: we're 4th in the league in offensive rating and 1st in the league in assists.
    Half of our games we were down by 20+. That is a mirage

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    My exact thoughts

He started most of the season for Philadelphia. A semifinal team.

He asked what does Gentry do right. I put up the facts and not the opinion. Yet my question was never answered.

What length do we have? We are not Philly. We do not have a length lineup to play Redick in. That's why we must sit him. What lineup would you play Redick in?

Edit: JJ hasnt been a positive in any game all season. He's a -72 so far.
    Tor, -14
    Dal, -2
    Hou, -2
    Gsw, -19
    Den, -4
    OKC, -17
    Brk , -1
    Tor, -13
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-08-2019 at 10:46 PM.

What length do we have?
    Lonzo is 6'6 with a 6'8 wingspan.
    Jrue is 6'5 with a 6'6 wingspan.
    NAW is 6'5 with a 6'9 wingspan
    Ingram is 6'7 with a 7'3 wingspan
    Favors is 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan
    Hayes is 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan

We have guys with length. And, at least on paper and going by their history of performance, we have guys who can defend.

So why not play Redick with some combination of some of those longer guys, instead of putting him on court with 2+ other 6'3 guys like Moore and Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo is 6'6 with a 6'8 wingspan.
    Jrue is 6'5 with a 6'6 wingspan.
    NAW is 6'5 with a 6'9 wingspan
    Ingram is 6'7 with a 7'3 wingspan
    Favors is 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan
    Hayes is 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan

We have guys with length. And, at least on paper and going by their history of performance, we have guys who can defend.

So why not play Redick with some combination of some of those longer guys, instead of putting him on court with 2+ other 6'3 guys like Moore and Frank?
    JJ plays most of his minutes with the guys you just named. He still isn't getting the job done. I mean he's probably played a total of 5 minutes next to Moore or Frank all season. Also, is that really length compared to what he played with in Philly? You just named 2 big guards, a thin SF, an unhealthy Favors and 2 rookies. They can hold their own but not exactly guys who can cover for his mistakes. Especially given that he cant make the defensive rotation once teams start moving the ball. There really isnt any stat to suggest that Redick should still be playing. At least Moore can attack close outs with his floater game and plays decent defense.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-08-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Also, is that really length compared to what he played with in Philly?
    It's not AS much size as in Philly, sure, but it's not like we're some T-Rex arm roster.

You have to ask yourself, if we have some guys with size, which we do, and his defensive inability isn't being covered up here like it was in Philly, why is that?

It's not good enough to say that it's just because he's bad on defense, because he was bad on defense there as well.

It's not like the Philadelphia roster was just filled top to bottom with excellent defenders to compensate. I mean, Embiid is good when he's healthy, but he wasn't healthy towards the end of the year. Tobias Harris is a mediocre defender at the absolute best. Redick played heavy minutes with Mike Muscala, Furkan Korkmaz, and Jonah Bolden, none of whom are particularly impressive defenders, and still managed to be a plus player in those minutes.

So what are we doing that makes Jrue Holiday less effective as a team-mate with JJ Redick than Mike Muscala, defensively? Cause Jrue is a much better defender.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-08-2019 at 11:08 PM.

It's not AS much size as in Philly, sure, but it's not like we're some T-Rex arm roster.
    Yeah I know. But we're talking in terms of a fit for Redick. He has played in our longest lineups and hasn't been able to get the job done. Maybe we can revisit him playing when Zion returns but for now he has shown to be a liability. Besides shooting, what does he bring to the court?

Basketball Guru
    when this team moved down here I was going to games...3yrs later I became a ticket holder....i got up and left this game at halftime and this is a first for me...this team has pushed me over the edge lol....

its sad a team this young cant play fast and hustle on both ends......tonight they seem like they didn't care...

ingram is getting the jrue treatment from the refs with the no calls....

i think we are done with the raptors....the lakers,,dallas,,76ers,,and any other team that play big are going to kill us......we don't have any bigs to deal with those teams...

You have to ask yourself, if we have some guys with size, which we do, and his defensive inability isn't being covered up here like it was in Philly, why is that?

It's not good enough to say that it's just because he's bad on defense, because he was bad on defense there as well.

It's not like the Philadelphia roster was just filled top to bottom with excellent defenders to compensate. I mean, Embiid is good when he's healthy, but he wasn't healthy towards the end of the year. Tobias Harris is a mediocre defender at the absolute best. Redick played heavy minutes with Mike Muscala, Furkan Korkmaz, and Jonah Bolden, none of whom are particularly impressive defenders, and still managed to be a plus player in those minutes.

So what are we doing that makes Jrue Holiday less effective as a team-mate with JJ Redick than Mike Muscala, defensively? Cause Jrue is a much better defender.
    You cannot compare Jrue to a big. His job isnt to cover for Redicks mistakes on the opposite wing of the court. A big is sitting in the lane. Redick is giving up 3s, drives, everything. Teams are deliberately attacking him every time he is on the court. His defensive rating is 120. His offensive rating is only 100. Philly was a totally different situation. Plus they played in the East. They also did not play nearly as fast.

I know this is kind of missing the point of your post here, but I cannot stop laughing at this. ''Extend Ginty'' is going to haunt my dreams.
    You're welcome. I was literally just going for laughs. Something's gotta make me happy this week before the Saints... if even.

So because you cant slander actual facts. You resort to this. Okay.
    To clarify my well written and crafted post.

You aren't wrong at all, but being good at offense isn't really doing much to balance out the positive with the abundance of negatives. If we're this bad on defense, we NEED to be number 1 at offensive execution otherwise it doesn't matter. For every shot they make, it's countered with three of the same type of shot from the opposition while they go on an ill timed cold streak. It really just cancels out what Alvin Gentry's system has going for him. At least in my opinion.

We played 13 men tonight. This means there is no continuity. A moron can figure that out; why not Gentry?

We should start the babes....Hayes (5), Alexander-Walker (1)...with Ingram (3), Okafor (4), and Jackson (2).

Play Holiday (2/1), Favors (5/4), Redick (2), Hart (3/2), Williams (4) off the bench.

Then re-evaluate when Williamson gets back.

If we have to lose, why not lose with a purpose...get the young ones quality minutes.

SPECIAL NOTE: I'm well aware I did not mention Ball or Melli.

Ehhh... Reddick is and should only be used as a catch and shoot spark plug spacer role player. If you depend on him for more then you shouldn't be surprised if completely blow up.

I think we have a defensive Big problem from a lack of size. Our bigs are undersized or underweight. And our guards are mad undisciplined and just abandon their man to double another for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    To clarify my well written and crafted post.

You aren't wrong at all, but being good at offense isn't really doing much to balance out the positive with the abundance of negatives. If we're this bad on defense, we NEED to be number 1 at offensive execution otherwise it doesn't matter. For every shot they make, it's countered with three of the same type of shot from the opposition while they go on an ill timed cold streak. It really just cancels out what Alvin Gentry's system has going for him. At least in my opinion.
    I agree the defense needs to improve. But that isn't all the way on Gentry. The team doesnt always give effort or communicate on that side. Bzedlic is supposed to be the defensive guru, how is that on Gentry? We had a top 10 defensive team playing Gentry ball in 2018. That's why I say its disingenuous to blame this on Gentry.

I agree the defense needs to improve. But that isn't all the way on Gentry. The team doesnt always give effort or communicate on that side. Bzedlic is supposed to be the defensive guru, how is that on Gentry? We had a top 10 defensive team playing Gentry ball in 2018. That's why I say its disingenuous to blame this on Gentry.
    He's the head coach. You can't Sean Payton your way as a coach in the NBA..Defense should be Gentry's problem too.

Then. He starts the 2QT with 4 SG and 1 Big. Cute. How are supposed to play defense with that trash.

Gentry philosophy of there being no 1-5 position is completely trash.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-08-2019 at 11:46 PM.

He's the head coach. You can't Sean Payton your way as a coach in the NBA..Defense should be Gentry's problem too.

Then. He starts the 2QT with 4 SG and 1 Big. Cute. How are supposed to play defense with that trash.

Gentry's philosophy won the Warriors a championship.

Also, wasnt it Griff that made Redick his premiere signing when we already had 5 sgs on the roster? Griff provided this hand to deal with. And to provide context, Raptors had 3 guards and 2 forwards on the court when Gentry played the 4 guard lineup with Favors. If NAW would've been on the floor instead of JJ it would've been better. They literally attacked JJ over and over again.

No Defence, No Wins.
    TERRIBLE game, a disappointing failure.

#WorkInProgress

Gentry's philosophy won the Warriors a championship.

Also, wasnt it Griff that made Redick his premiere signing when we already had 5 sgs on the roster? Griff provided this hand to deal with. And to provide context, Raptors had 3 guards and 2 forwards on the court when Gentry played the 4 guard lineup with Favors. If NAW would've been on the floor instead of JJ it would've been better. They literally attacked JJ over and over again.
    No actually it was Mark Jackson that built that team not Gentry or Kerr.

Some people don’t want to hear the truth

Thread Information