Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: November 29th - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Clippers - 5-17

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    If Ingram can be more consistent, and we can get Zion back FULLY healthy..then we can make a serious run for the playoffs. That just sounds weird.

It might be weird trying to go through the whole "ease Zion back in" thing again. New teammates getting to know how to synchronize with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    If Ingram can be more consistent, and we can get Zion back FULLY healthy..then we can make a serious run for the playoffs. That just sounds weird.

It might be weird trying to go through the whole "ease Zion back in" thing again. New teammates getting to know how to synchronize with him.
    I'd like to see them bring Zion off the bench initially. They're finally getting a starting lineup that is jelling, so I'd hate to see that disrupted, while we try to play Zion into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Herb really is so fun to watch. I think he?s so good for the future of this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's an indictment on the NBA scouting departments that Herb lasted until the second round. The guy's got NBA athleticism, great length, great defensive footwork, great basketball iq, and it's not exactly like he was under the radar in college, the guy was the SEC player of the year. I guess his jump shot and "advanced" age kept him in the second round, which is pretty stupid. The one thing that you can really develop in the NBA is a jump shot, it just takes a good shooting coach and a whole lot of repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    It's an indictment on the NBA scouting departments that Herb lasted until the second round. The guy's got NBA athleticism, great length, great defensive footwork, great basketball iq, and it's not exactly like he was under the radar in college, the guy was the SEC player of the year. I guess his jump shot and "advanced" age kept him in the second round, which is pretty stupid. The one thing that you can really develop in the NBA is a jump shot, it just takes a good shooting coach and a whole lot of repetition.
    NAW says hi

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    NAW says hi
    If NAW had Herb's iq it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by b_l_p View Post
    Also, this team has more offensive ball movement as I've seen in yearssss
    Combine that with fewer turnovers and the results are there

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’m feeling like Herb may have a bit of potential on the offensive end he can yet tap into.

I'd like to see them bring Zion off the bench initially. They're finally getting a starting lineup that is jelling, so I'd hate to see that disrupted, while we try to play Zion into shape.
    THIS!!!

Suddenly, your bench becomes lethal.

Is there any doubt who is (or will be) the better player at age 23...Herb Jones or Jaxson Hayes? We have incurred neither the same financial investment (dollars) nor the development costs (time and labor) getting with the 35th pick in 2021 ready to play efficiently NOW as we have, thus far, spent on the 8th pick of 2019 with sketchy resullts NOW (definitely being kind here).

Bottom line: Talent and age be damned!! When making a drafting selection two questions need to be answered: 1. Does the prospect know how to play the game? 2. Does the prospect understand the game? If the answer to either question is "no", you move on to another prospect who does.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I?m feeling like Herb may have a bit of potential on the offensive end he can yet tap into.
    Bruce Bowen had a great NBA career based on defense, high iq and a decent 3 point shot from the corner. I think Herb’s offensive potential is better than Bowen’s. I think Herb can have a similar career to Bowen (hopefully without Bowen’s dirty BS).

Bruce Bowen had a great NBA career based on defense, high iq and a decent 3 point shot from the corner. I think Herb’s offensive potential is better than Bowen’s. I think Herb can have a similar career to Bowen (hopefully without Bowen’s dirty BS).
    I hope he will be even better than Bowen. He shows great skills around the rim and can cut to the basket really nicely. He can already defend multiple positions. And he is hitting his free throws something Bowen couldn’t do if my memory serves mi right

With JV’s and Hart’s shooting improvements and Herb’s surprisingly effective individual defense, I cannot get over how solid the theoretical core of Zion/BI/JV/Graham/Hart/Herb is.

A healthy Zion would have guaranteed a playoff slot…

Add a bench and consistent team D and we are top 5 or 6 team in the league.

I am starting to feel a sense of forgiveness for Griffin…

Love seeing Willie finally nailing down what his rotation is. Can't fault him for playing everyone to see what works and doesn't, even if it was incredibly painful to watch. But you can tell Hart/BI/Graham/JV are working well together as a unit with Herb cleaning everything up.

Now I would just like to see Trey beat Temple out for min. So far the two have been about equal with Temple being a little more consistent. Looks like Willie is sticking with tie goes to the Vet.

And obviously Zion is a gamechanger.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    With JV’s and Hart’s shooting improvements and Herb’s surprisingly effective individual defense, I cannot get over how solid the theoretical core of Zion/BI/JV/Graham/Hart/Herb is.

A healthy Zion would have guaranteed a playoff slot…

Add a bench and consistent team D and we are top 5 or 6 team in the league.

I am starting to feel a sense of forgiveness for Griffin…
    I'd relax a bit on Hart's shooting improvements. I know he had a few solid games this season but he's shooting 32% from 3 on the season, 18.8% from 3 over the last 7 games, and hasn't hit a 3 since we played Washington 4 games ago. He's 0/7 in three games since then.
    Basketball.

Damn… last time couple times I checked he was at 38%.

Great team win and what a road trip !

Hart's shooting appears to be what it is. Guess he is not going to be a good 3 point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hart's shooting appears to be what it is. Guess he is not going to be a good 3 point shooter.
    Up until the last road trip he was 15/38 @ 39% on the season

He's real hesitant to pull the trigger on open threes though. When Zion comes back that's going to be an even bigger issue. I kind of wonder if we're going to make a move for someone like Buddy Heild. Sacramento seems like a likely trading partner for someone like Josh Hart, because of his relationship with Gentry and the fact that the Kings might need Hart's rebounding and defense more than Buddy's perimeter game. I'm assuming that we'd have to throw in some other players to make the deal, perhaps Jaxson and/or NAW.

He's real hesitant to pull the trigger on open threes though. When Zion comes back that's going to be an even bigger issue. I kind of wonder if we're going to make a move for someone like Buddy Heild. Sacramento seems like a likely trading partner for someone like Josh Hart, because of his relationship with Gentry and the fact that the Kings might need Hart's rebounding and defense more than Buddy's perimeter game. I'm assuming that we'd have to throw in some other players to make the deal, perhaps Jaxson and/or NAW.
    Why, is Sacramento tanking?

And? Very small sample size. He has been consistently "OK" as a 3 point shooter in his career.

You can find small samples within anyone's career where they do something at a high level for five games, the question is reliability. Hart is now 26 years old and has been a career 34% shooter from 3, who has shot 33% from deep over the last 4 years and is shooting 32% on the season so far this year. He's not a very good shooter, overall. Hot streaks happen but generally speaking you can't rely on him to bomb from behind the arc.

Fair points but players can and do improve their 3 point shot later in their careers. Hope Josh is one, but for now he’s an interesting utility player who gives you a little bit of everything. Have been interested in Green putting him in more of a facilitator role especially flashing him into the high post to disrupt zone defenses….

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Fair points but players can and do improve their 3 point shot later in their careers. Hope Josh is one, but for now he’s an interesting utility player who gives you a little bit of everything. Have been interested in Green putting him in more of a facilitator role especially flashing him into the high post to disrupt zone defenses….
    They can, but they generally are players who haven't really taken them before. Guys like Jonas, or Brook Lopez a few years ago, suddenly showing they can shoot after it not being part of their game for years.

Hart has taken over 1000 attempts at this point in his career. 3PT% generally stabilises at about 700 attempts, based on past studies, so while it's still possible for Hart to improve it would be a big outlier. He was a 38% shooter in college though, so who knows? Maybe he can be the 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They can, but they generally are players who haven't really taken them before. Guys like Jonas, or Brook Lopez a few years ago, suddenly showing they can shoot after it not being part of their game for years.

Hart has taken over 1000 attempts at this point in his career. 3PT% generally stabilises at about 700 attempts, based on past studies, so while it's still possible for Hart to improve it would be a big outlier. He was a 38% shooter in college though, so who knows? Maybe he can be the 1%.
    My lodestar for this has always been Jason Kidd, a mediocre 3 point shooter for much of his career, who eventually made it above 40% in his 30s. I recall Magic having a similar evolution but would have to look at his numbers on volume...

Thread Information