Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Over/under on Jax becoming a good player?
    It all hinges on how much weight he can add to his frame i think. If that doesn't materialize, not gonna lie, I'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not interested in Oladipo tbh. Not much younger than Jrue, severe recent injury history, doesn't actually solve any of our problems at the guard spot, and when he has been able to get on the floor over the last two seasons he's been bad.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but according to hoops hype, Oladipo has 1 year left on his deal. We would get Turner who is a great fit next to Zion as a true stretch 5 and an expiring Oladipo who is could surprise if he can stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Over/under on Jax becoming a good player?
    I think it's likely. Even just this season he made significant strides as a defender and paint protector. He still has a way to go, of course, but his movement skills are legitimately fantastic and the growth in just one year is encouraging.

Of course the X factor for him is adding weight. Unlike some, I don't think he needs to add like 50lbs or whatever but he clearly needs to add muscle and work on his core strength. If he can do that over the next 18 months, or 2 offseasons, so that he's like 235lbs in his 3rd year or whatever (he's listed at 220lbs now but I'd be stunned if that was true, 210 is more like it lol) then I place the likelihood of him being a legitimately very good player at quite high.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but according to hoops hype, Oladipo has 1 year left on his deal. We would get Turner who is a great fit next to Zion as a true stretch 5 and an expiring Oladipo who is could surprise if he can stay healthy.
    I like Turner but not enough to give up both Jrue and Redick. Oladipo is essentially a punt; you don't take a huge risk like that when you're already sending out more secure talent than you're getting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I like Turner but not enough to give up both Jrue and Redick. Oladipo is essentially a punt; you don't take a huge risk like that when you're already sending out more secure talent than you're getting back.
    You argued yourself that we should be planning for the future (In your reasoning for trading Ball). I don’t see Jrue or JJ on this team past next year, so why not get a building block on a solid contract ($18 million a year for 3 years) like Turner? No real risk with Oladipo if he is on an expiring contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    You argued yourself that we should be planning for the future. I don’t see Jrue or JJ on this team past next year, so why not get a building block on a solid contract ($18 million a year for 3 years) like Turner?
    I really see Riddick staying because he still a great shooter at good value. Which is a need for our bench mob. Jrue... We may have to get younger by necessity to really build a squad up.

Last year I said we should Target Brook Lopez or Maxi Kleber

This year I'll go with Kelly Olynyk or Myers Leonard. (I also have a passive interest in Lauri Markkanen in a trade)

Jrue will not be back. Griffin gave him permission to be MVP and he failed Griff miserably.

I'm willing to take Ball back with the understanding that, barring an unbelievable turnaround in the first half of season, he's gone at the all star break.

Favors, E'Twaun, Miller, and probably Jah are gone.

DiDi goes back to Australia.

Have no clue about JJ.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-13-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

This year I'll go with Kelly Olynyk or Myer Leonard. (I also have a passive interest in Lauri Markkanen)

Jrue will not be back. Griffin gave him permission to be MVP and he failed him miserably.

I'm willing to take Ball back with the understanding that, barring an unbelievable turnaround in the first half of season, he's gone at the all star break.

Have no clue about JJ.
    If you're trading Jrue. I really don't see a demand for him outside of Brooklyn. Brooklyn really pushing for a chip at all cost.

The Nets offense in March emphasized layups and 3s and discouraged mid-range jump shots, which is Johnson’s specialty. Johnson said that Vaughn’s plan is working because it prioritizes the players’ strengths instead of forcing them to be part of a specific system.

I think I'm off the Atkinson Bandwagon.

This year I'll go with Kelly Olynyk or Myers Leonard. (I also have a passive interest in Lauri Markkanen in a trade)

Jrue will not be back. Griffin gave him permission to be MVP and he failed Griff miserably.

Have no clue about JJ.
    Just going to put out there that after what we saw this year, I have a feeling they will target bigs that have the feet/wing span for PnR defense, can box out, have good hands, and can REBOUND.

You know, pillars of basketball that don't change no matter what style is chic. "Spacers" at that spot are not as important as you might think.

I see no reason Didi goes back overseas. They need his length on the wing.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Have no clue about JJ.
    Why on Earth would Didi not be brought over?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I really see Riddick staying because he still a great shooter at good value. Which is a need for our bench mob. Jrue... We may have to get younger by necessity to really build a squad up.
    JJ Reddick will be 37 years old after next season. How much longer will he be staying anywhere in the NBA?

The argument for not bringing Didi over would be he isn't ready to contribute yet and you can push his rookie deal back another year. Not saying it's what they will or should do but if you could get a guy on his rookie deal for seasons 21-24, you will probably get more production than 20-23

They have a good relationship with the Sydney staff and the kid is probably way safer there than he is in America.re: COVID. They might actually get to experience games with fans there next year, getting him some real minutes in real games with consequence with fans

Again, these would just be the arguments. You bring Didi over and he probably doesn't play much, is in some.kind of a bubble in all likelihood and his rookie contract clock starts ticking
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The argument for not bringing Didi over would be he isn't ready to contribute yet and you can push his rookie deal back another year. Not saying it's what they will or should do but if you could get a guy on his rookie deal for seasons 21-24, you will probably get more production than 20-23

They have a good relationship with the Sydney staff and the kid is probably way safer there than he is in America.re: COVID. They might actually get to experience games with fans there next year, getting him some real minutes in real games with consequence with fans

Again, these would just be the arguments. You bring Didi over and he probably doesn't play much, is in some.kind of a bubble in all likelihood and his rookie contract clock starts ticking
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    JJ Reddick will be 37 years old after next season. How much longer will he be staying anywhere in the NBA?
    He'll be a free agent when he turns 37

This is true.

I'm.not sure how much other people on this board actually watched Didi this year in Aus, but he wasn't a force of nature or anything. Another year over there probably isn't a bad idea from a development standpoint either.

One point on Didi, he said on instagram in one of his Q&As a few weeks back that he wasn't sure if he would play in the NBA this season, so I'd assume this is a fluid situation depending on what happens in FA and the draft. Clearly he doesn't have any sort of promise from the Pels or anything of that nature.

Hmm why no Ibaka? He's better than all of the guys you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Hmm why no Ibaka? He's better than all of the guys you mentioned.
    Ibaka would be #1 on my list, but its hard to imagine he can be had for just the MLE. And if he can, he'd probably take it from a team that actually wins games and can give him a chance to contend

Ibaka would be #1 on my list, but its hard to imagine he can be had for just the MLE. And if he can, he'd probably take it from a team that actually wins games and can give him a chance to contend
    Would you trade JJ for nothing if you knew Ibaka would sign 2/35? (I think you could get something of moderate value for JJ, but for the sake of argument)

I guess included in this is would you give Ibaka 2/35?
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 08-14-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Would you trade JJ for nothing if you knew Ibaka would sign 2/35? (I think you could get something of moderate value for JJ, but for the sake of argument)

I could live with him, but I think his ask will be too high. But beware...he doesn't necessarily share the ball.

I could live with him, but I think his ask will be too high. But beware...he doesn't necessarily share the ball.
    Yea I mean neither do Lauri or Leonard.

You'll hear Hollinger use the term "finisher" and I think that's what the Pels need at that position. He needs to be able to finish plays at the offensive end either on a lob or a pop, and he needs to be able to finishing plays defensively by protecting the rim and grabbing boards. Ideally, you want a guy who can do all 4, and Ibaka can give you all 4 at an above average level for his position. The other guys give you two at most.

While we're on the topic, if I were Griff, I would have Jax focus exclusively on finishing plays defensively this off season and throughout next season. He's already good enough offensively to be a starter on a good team because his length and soft hands/touch. He will be an elite vertical floor spacer to the point where he doesnt really need a shot. A guard with an in between game working the PnR with Jax would be gorgeous.

Yeah I say bring Didi over if you believe in your draft pick. He was coming off the bench in spot minutes in Australia, so its not like he was gaining extreme experience over there either. However, he did have a few nice games off that bench and showed some promise on both ends of the floor.

One of the main functions of him being over there was to lessen the language barrier and learn english.

If that is up to par, then bring him over and start getting him acclimated with NBA basketball. Otherwise you are just wasting time on very incremental improvements he can also make over here.

Can someone explain the seeding for the draft with us being at 12th

Personally, I wouldn't because my strategy would be to go the other way next year.

Not "tank" which is such a poorly defined word that ends up encompassing everything...but i don't try to win bug next year. If there aren't going to be fans, selling tickets is no longer a priority. If 14 other teams are going all out to make the playoffs in the West, i am gonna be the team that doesn't prioritize that.

Covid has given this franchise the perfect excuse to slow this whole thing down and I personally wouod use next year as a developmental and asset accumulation year

But that's me. I don't think Griffin would agree

Thread Information