Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking Basketball Analysis - Brandon Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Knowledgeable Basketball folks can see that Brandon simply needs to improve his shot in order to become one of the league's ELITE scorers. His length combined with the positions he can play due to his skill set will terrorize other clubs. I'm sure he will work on his shot.

Hell jrue shot 32% from 3 last year and everybody expects that to climb/ BI is going to shine here
    I think the reason people expect Jrue to improve from 3 is that he spent like 6 or 7 years in a row shooting above league average from 3 on solid volume before regressing. If Ingram had spent 5 years shooting 37% on 4 attempts a game before last season, I'd be more optimistic about his percentages.
    Basketball.

Figured I'd put this year just cause this was an Ingram thread, even if it's a little off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think the reason people expect Jrue to improve from 3 is that he spent like 6 or 7 years in a row shooting above league average from 3 on solid volume before regressing. If Ingram had spent 5 years shooting 37% on 4 attempts a game before last season, I'd be more optimistic about his percentages.
    You do realize he had a season where he shot 39% last year right? His 2nd year went great st 33% but he managed an elite FG of 50% which is very good along with his 47% last year. He obviously has negatives but majority of the time nothing you are throwing ouz

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    You do realize he had a season where he shot 39% last year right? His 2nd year went great st 33% but he managed an elite FG of 50% which is very good along with his 47% last year. He obviously has negatives but majority of the time nothing you are throwing ouz
    Everyone here knows you are Ingram's biggest fan, but I hate to tell you this but if he continues to be a ball stopper, as he has been so far, he will not be in the rotation as he is now, or he willl be gone. On multiple occasions last night he forced shots with JJ wide open in corner, Faves 3 ft away, and others. Realize this is he contract year, but if can't pass, we need to pass or move on from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Everyone here knows you are Ingram's biggest fan, but I hate to tell you this but if he continues to be a ball stopper, as he has been so far, he will not be in the rotation as he is now, or he willl be gone. On multiple occasions last night he forced shots with JJ wide open in corner, Faves 3 ft away, and others. Realize this is he contract year, but if can't pass, we need to pass or move on from him.
    he did force it some last night.... but the young one's are going to try n make somethin' happen early on.

it is nice to have a guy like him at the end of the shot clock (or even in the playoffs) who can always get a nice shot off on their man. kinda like how durant plagued us
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 10-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.

The Franchise
    What he displayed in the last game was inexcusable. I would move him as well if he refused to buy into a team concept. What he did was ridiculous, and he's one of the main reasons why the offense was disjointed and the starting line up was yanked.

He's pretty good at making adjustments, I hope the coaches get in his ****** about playing with tunnel vision.

Being uber aggressive is fine so long as you're reading the floor while you're doing it. He wasn't reading at all.

it is nice to have a guy like him at the end of the shot clock (or even in the playoffs) who can always get a nice shot off on their man.
    If he can ''always get a nice shot off'' on his man, why didn't he do that instead of taking terrible contested midrange fadeaways that got blocked or airballed? Surely a nice shot would be open, or at least hit the rim.

He needs to make quicker decisions. It's fine for him to iso if the initial actions fail and the clock is running down, but it can't consistently stop the ball the way he did in the beginning of game 1 and game 2 if he wants to fit in this offense. There is a level of player you need to be to be able to do that, and that's a top 10-15 guy. There's a time and a place where that sort of stuff can be valuable, but it can't be a defining feature of a good offense.

On a positive note, he has done some nice things with his length defensively.

Oh man... if you guys thought his ball-stopping over-aggressive mid-range game against the Bulls was bad... that was actually some decent shot selection for him compared to what he usually does lolol!

This was the first game I’ve been excited about him. Kept the ball moving, made good reads, moved well off the ball and made a tough 3 pointer. We need him to be a bit more Ariza than Melo, and he didn’t look one bit out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This was the first game I’ve been excited about him. Kept the ball moving, made good reads, moved well off the ball and made a tough 3 pointer. We need him to be a bit more Ariza than Melo, and he didn’t look one bit out of place.
    Agreed.This version of Ingram was perfect, made better decisions, didn't hog the ball,played much smarter basketball.

What did Shamit tweet then delete that got Griff's attention? Seems it was about Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    What did Shamit tweet then delete that got Griff's attention? Seems it was about Ingram.
    He called Frank a chucker (which is completely untrue) but he also made a point that Frank doesn’t do enough besides score (which I totally agree with). I do however think Frank is a different option that can drive to the rim and hit his 3’s at a very decent rate which you can never have enough of. I’d like to see him rebound and maybe tag some assists, but other than that he has been very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    He asked what, aside from scoring, Frank does to help the Pelicans win basketball games.

Griff said that he was a hard worker, a great team-mate, and a good on ball defender.

I'd agree with the first, I can't judge the second (I'm not on the team) and I'd highly dispute the third, but it seems Shamit probably felt like he was being a bit harsh if Griff was coming out to defend Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    LoL this is exactly why I don’t read this site for a couple months. Some just have no idea what they are talking about. We have had less then a handful of pre season games and all the sudden players need to be traded? Haha what a joke! Not to mention the player being talked about wasn’t allowed to touch a basketball for near 6 months! I’m not Ingram’s biggest fan but I’ll defend any player when people use their biases trying to bash certain players. Before the Lakers trade there was literally less then a handful of people who thought Ingram and Ball could be even average NBA players. How stupid is that? I have many very funny takes regarding these 2 saved by the know it alls of this site. One hot take was by a know it all was Frank and Keinrich are and will be better then Ball and Ingram? The same trade that I was called an idiot for and would never happened seemed to happen exactly as I said it would. Seems Griffin and Langdon agree with me just a tiny little bit to pair these 2 youngsters as part of the future with Zion instead of shipping them and picks out for other players. I’ll stand by what I say and Ingram will be extended and a Pelican for a long time as a great sidekick and compliment to Zion.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-16-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Let's let Ingram play with the team through at least the all-star break before forming conclusions.

let his play determine his value. someone with cap space will offer him a max.... lets see if we want to match it and if not let him walk. we don't have the former management who gave the bag to eric Gordon so hopefully we will be smarter and make better decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If he can ''always get a nice shot off'' on his man, why didn't he do that instead of taking terrible contested midrange fadeaways that got blocked or airballed? Surely a nice shot would be open, or at least hit the rim.
    being able to get a decent shot off doesnt mean that you will never make a bad decision man..... or take a terrible shot.... or get blocked..... or even shoot an airball.

thats like saying saying if steph curry is such a good shooter than why did he miss that one

being able to get a decent shot off doesnt mean that you will never make a bad decision man..... or take a terrible shot.... or get blocked..... or even shoot an airball.

thats like saying saying if steph curry is such a good shooter than why did he miss that one
    It's nothing like that at all.

So far, and yes it's just pre-season but these trends existed last year too for him, Ingram has been a consistently poor decision maker. It doesn't matter if you are physically capable of getting shots off if you make such poor decisions that all the shots you take are bad ones.

Everyone takes a bad shot every now and again, it's just reality. Yes, that includes Curry. But when Curry takes a bad shot, we wince and move on, and watch him take 5 good shots straight after. When Ingram takes a bad shot, that's just Ingram, we wince and then wince again when he does it the next possession, then again two possessions later, then again for the fourth time in 3 minutes.

The problem here is your expectations. You think he is going to be able to adjust and adapt his game from day 1? Completely unrealistic. Come back with an assessment after the all star break. Wait for the sample size before you execute him especially when you’re drawing conclusions based on preseason play. It’s downright silly.

The Franchise
    If all Ingram did was take bad shot after bad shot he wouldn't have gotten any playing time, nor would he have been wanted by the Pels in prospective trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    The problem here is your expectations. You think he is going to be able to adjust and adapt his game from day 1? Completely unrealistic. Come back with an assessment after the all star break. Wait for the sample size before you execute him especially when you’re drawing conclusions based on preseason play. It’s downright silly.
    I've already said that I'm not making any serious judgements until around Christmas, because of the need to get a real sample size and have some adjustment time.

When I criticise Ingram at the moment for his shot selection and his fit with the rest of the roster, that isn't a final verdict. It's literally just a discussion of what he's done so far. Obviously that could change as the coaching settles in, as people fall into their roles, and as the different lineups get solidified.

You're exactly right that it would be downright silly to ''execute'' someone over preseason play. Which is why I'm not doing that.

I saw him make several mistakes tonight..... but he still had the best +/- on the team

Thread Information