Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

Zion injury update?! {edited" Torn meniscus - out 6-8 weeks}

Umm what is going on?! Please God No more old pels life!

"NEW ORLEANS – New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson is listed as out with right knee soreness for the team’s final preseason game against the Knicks. He did not travel with the team to New York today and remained in New Orleans to undergo further testing and evaluation at Ochsner Sports Medicine.

Further updates will be forthcoming when available."

From the Pelicans App. Just got the notification.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.

He has collided with the floor a few times this season, so it doesn’t shock me. Chances are it is an impact injury and not a tear. Likely worst case scenario is a bone bruise that lingers for a while. I doubt it’s that bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    He has collided with the floor a few times this season, so it doesn’t shock me. Chances are it is an impact injury and not a tear. Likely worst case scenario is a bone bruise that lingers for a while. I doubt it’s that bad though.
    For real. I'm in line with Mason Ginsberg's take on the whole thing

Basically: ''It's probably nothing major, but we've seen everything we need to see in preseason, no need to risk any legitimately serious injury by playing him more if he's not at 100%, see you on Tuesday.''
    Basketball.

Read the last sentence in the Press Release again.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Read the last sentence in the Press Release again.
    The fact that he is getting tested? Probably to make sure it isn’t a lingering issue like a bone bruise or fluid in the knee. I will react when I see the test results. No point in getting riled up over this yet

Lol at the panic. Nelson isn’t going to leave any stones unturned. This will be routine for all players moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Lol at the panic. Nelson isn’t going to leave any stones unturned. This will be routine for all players moving forward.
    #Pelslife

Pack it up.

Season over.

They were right, he's an injury prone bust.

#pelslife

Am I doing the whole freaking out thing right? I think they're resting him and due to his style of play, he would get dinged up a little. It's no big deal.

Interesting they would keep him from going to NY. Something is up.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Interesting they would keep him from going to NY. Something is up.
    Not necessarily. Why would he go to NY, if he's definitely not playing? Three of his four preseason games have been on the road. No need to do unnecessary travel with the season looming, especially when he's been on the move a lot recently anyway. Best to just keep him home and keep an eye on it.

Do you suspect foul play every time a star doesn't travel with the team when they're on the injury report?

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    Pack it up.

Season over.

They were right, he's an injury prone bust.

#pelslife

Am I doing the whole freaking out thing right? I think they're resting him and due to his style of play, he would get dinged up a little. It's no big deal.
    This.

He probably woke up with a sore knee. He medical team probably decided to keep him back and perform precautionary tests to make sure they’re not missing anything. Is that really that hard to take as face value?

and so it begins -

Andrew Lopez @_Andrew_Lopez
    Just now on ESPN: @wojespn says Pelicans are being cautious with Zion’s injury. Hope to know more in 24 hours and this isn’t a typical preseason ‘rest’ situation.

Not that I buy this is something serious today, but moving forward we should be doing our best as an organization to get Zion down to about 250. He's only 6'6 no way he should be carrying 270+ lbs on him.

I'm all for "load management" until he's at a more acceptable weight. This season should be a development season anyways. This franchise is tied to Zion's success for the foreseeable future no need taking any unnecessary risk.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not that I buy this is something serious today, but moving forward we should be doing our best as an organization to get Zion down to about 250. He's only 6'6 no way he should be carrying 270+ lbs on him.

I'm all for "load management" until he's at a more acceptable weight. This season should be a development season anyways. This franchise is tied to Zion's success for the foreseeable future no need taking any unnecessary risk.
    For me, it depends on what his actual weight is. Obviously if he's legitimately walking around at 285lbs, like he was listed at Duke, then yeah he could probably do with losing 25lbs without actually losing too much strength or athleticism.

On the other hand, I highly doubt that he was actually 285lbs with Duke by mid-season: looking at the difference in his shape between game one and, say, March, he had clearly lost a lot of weight and gotten into much better shape during his college year. So if he started off at 285lbs, he was probably down to 265-270lbs by the end of the year, and that weight seemed much more sustainable for him.

So yeah, if he's actually walking around right now at 285lbs, he needs to lose some weight just for the knees. But if he's actually something closer to 260lbs, I don't think he necessarily needs to cut weight unless Aaron Nelson specifically requests it: he's only one inch shorter than Lebron barefoot, and Miami 'Bron was easily 260lbs, and Zion's general frame is very sturdy.

I will note by the way that if this is a serious, legitimate injury, I might cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I will note by the way that if this is a serious, legitimate injury, I might cry.
    I can definitely see it being a bone bruise, which if severe enough, could keep him out for a couple of months. There were several times in preseason where he just slammed into the floor with his knee. It would benefit him if he picks and chooses when to make certain plays. I remember he went for the steal on an inbound he had absolutely no chance of getting without fouling and he seemed to hurt himself pretty good there. In fact, he limped after that and it may be the origin of this one.

I can definitely see it being a bone bruise, which if severe enough, could keep him out for a couple of months. There were several times in preseason where he just slammed into the floor with his knee. It would benefit him if he picks and chooses when to make certain plays. I remember he went for the steal on an inbound he had absolutely no chance of getting without fouling and he seemed to hurt himself pretty good there. In fact, he limped after that and it may be the origin of this one.
    I'm just sick of Pelicans bad luck.

It's nobody's fault, and obviously it sounds petty to complain about bad luck after the Zion lottery win, but just over the past decade, almost everything that can go wrong for us, has.

CP3 wanted out. Quincy Pondexter injury. Jrue injury. AD injuries galore. Omri Casspi's injury. Cousins ankle exploding. Elfrid's broken fingers. Solomon Hill quad rupture. AD wanted out. Elfrid injured again. Mirotic's foot issues. Darius Miller's Achilles injury.

Just. Let. Us. Have. One. Year.

Not even begging for zero injuries: obviously injuries happen, someone sprains their ankle or breaks a finger, fine. It sucks but fine. Just can we have one year where someone doesn't have a severe, career de-railing injury that takes them out for multiple months at a time, please?

It's nobody's fault, and obviously it sounds petty to complain about bad luck after the Zion lottery win, but just over the past decade, almost everything that can go wrong for us, has.

CP3 wanted out. Quincy Pondexter injury. Jrue injury. AD injuries galore. Omri Casspi's injury. Cousins ankle exploding. Elfrid's broken fingers. Solomon Hill quad rupture. AD wanted out. Elfrid injured again. Mirotic's foot issues. Darius Miller's Achilles injury.

Not even begging for zero injuries: obviously injuries happen, someone sprains their ankle or breaks a finger, fine. It sucks but fine. Just can we have one year where someone doesn't have a severe, career de-railing injury that takes them out for multiple months at a time, please?
    NBA just did an open practice thing featuring Pelicans on their social media yesterday and showed Zion practicing driving to the rim. I think this is just precautionary.

Agreed. Although as bad as two months out could be, I can live with it as long as it isn’t a tear. I have a hard time believing it’s a tear or a microfracture, but it would be our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    NBA just did an open practice thing featuring Pelicans on their social media yesterday and showed Zion practicing driving to the rim. I think this is just precautionary.
    I thought that, before the Woj update. Obviously Woj isn't perfect and not everything he reports is 100% perfect, but he usually doesn't say stuff unless he has at least a decent reason, so if he's saying this is more than just ordinary rest issues, I'm concerned.

It could still only be something minor, and he'll be fine, but I don't trust the Pels luck like that.

Agreed. Although as bad as two months out could be, I can live with it as long as it isn’t a tear. I have a hard time believing it’s a tear or a microfracture, but it would be our luck.
    I'll take a minor sprain, or deep tissue bruise, or just general soreness, or something like that. Wouldn't love it, but even if we lost 6 weeks, I'd take it. But if it is something serious then yeah, I will be extremely upset.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

Agreed. I love him overpowering people. But he can do that 30 pounds lighter. And it’ll prolong his career anyway.

don't need to send ppl into cardiac arrest here but i am seeing from another forum that someone claiming they have insider is saying torn meniscus. Really hoping his wrong lol his sent the other forum into chaos

First of all, people really need to stop quoting this 6'6" height for him. That is WITHOUT SHOES. Unless you are going to look up that same without shoes height for every player, stop doing it to Zion. Until then he's 6'7".

Second, unless his body fat is out of wack, he doesn't need to lose weight. Everybody is built differently with different bone densities and such. Looks like he carries that 285 just fine. He may not need to gain any, but he doesn't need to lose any either.

Last, local guy on the radio said torn meniscus. If true, that is royally terrible. Hopefully just a rumor because I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Thread Information