Pelicans Report

Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer League Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Anyone notice Mark Jackson sitting next to Gentry? Does that make him a candidate for assistant?
    I don't think so.

I also hope not. Mark Jackson is a real crank, and I don't want him anywhere near this team.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    We got a steal. He’s playing like a top 10 pick.
    Feels nice to have 3 10 top picks and playing like it.

Hayes, now that he's gassed a little, is getting muscled around a little. Still needs to put on that 15, 20lbs of muscle before he'll be fully comfortable there.

But yeah, everyone's doing great! This SL is actually fun. The guys have shown ACTUAL potential, which is crazy for a Pels SL team.

Anyone notice Mark Jackson sitting next to Gentry? Does that make him a candidate for assistant?
    I saw him and wondered the same. But probably just friends visiting.

Nice shot by Dawkins. I taught him and Cleveland’s Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman.

Awful pass there from Cheatham.

Do you know how bad a pass has to be for Hayes to miss the catch? Didn't even get a finger on it, ball just sailed away

It is interesting—we were sloppy at times and it was never really close. Well, maybe at 2-2 but not anytime after.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Awful pass there from Cheatham.

Do you know how bad a pass has to be for Hayes to miss the catch? Didn't even get a finger on it, ball just sailed away
    Hayes came back and showed him how it is done.

If Gentry is even thinking about bringing in Mark Jackson, I’d question the extension even more

We've dropped basically 100 in back to back SUMMER LEAGUE games. That's crazy.

Tonight's final stat lines:

NAW: 26/5/6 on 50% shooting and 42.8% from 3. Played 31 minutes.
    Hayes: 13/7/2 with a block. 75% from the floor. Hit two nice jumpers, one from the FT line and one from 3. Played 23 minutes.
    Didi: 12/2/3 on 50% shooting and 40% from 3. Played 28 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    NAW is gonna end up being a steal at 17. He looks just like his cousin SGA. He was seen as more of a combo type guard coming into the league and ended up playing more point guard. If Lonzo starts like everyone believes NAW might just be his backup.
    I think he’ll be even better, just as good as SGA at everything but even better shooter and passer. SGA said growing up naw was better than him.

Mark Jackson would never take an assistant job. He makes way to much $ on TV to give it up for an assistant job. A team is either gonna want him or not and I don’t see him being an assistant changing anything. I have a feeling he will be the next Knicks Coach after the guy they have no becomes the scape goat in 2 years. I don’t like Jackson much but I would love to have him as an assistant. Just don’t see it happening.

Haha the guy I wanted Nassir Little looks like a steal as well, but NAW looks like he can be an elite combo guard. I love this kids game

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Hayes in a year or 2 will be elite scoring around the rim. Kid has maybe the best hands and touch in that area for a big I have ever seen. I think he will eventually develop a 3pt shot as well. No doubt he will have a knockdown mid range.
    I mean I have covinient amnesia too but I still faintly remember Davis being the best I've ever seen at that.

Hayes looks like a great rim roller offensively though.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I think he’ll be even better, just as good as SGA at everything but even better shooter and passer. SGA said growing up naw was better than him.
    He reminds me a lot of Malcolm Brogdon. Very similar player offensively. Has a lot of his cousin SGA in him like you said as well. Kid is the real deal and if they had a redraft tomorrow would likely be a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I mean I have covinient amnesia too but I still faintly remember Davis being the best I've ever seen at that.

I think Davis was great there as well. IMO Hayes has better hands and touch around the rim. I think he can be a very similar player to AD just not the same amount of usage. Has a very similar skill set.

AD had very good hands, there's no doubt about it, and his touch around the rim was very good. But compare their rates of finishing at the same points in their career.

AD in college shot 65% from 2 point range.
    Jaxson shot 73% from 2 point range.

Yes, a part of that is because Hayes finishes everything (nearly) around the rim and AD showed a little more versatility, but the touch is undeniable.

Hayes' hands are better than AD's, partly just because they're bigger. That's no insult to AD, he has very very good hands, but Hayes are all-world.

Jax has huge upside I just see him being a really good player maybe a lesser version of AD when vinson develops his shot its game on for this kid I hope they put the same energy and focus into this kid like AD plus NAW is a baller and ZION whew...CANT WAIT .... LETS DANCE WOOOOOOO

So pending tomorrow's Memphis v Boston game to finish 4th we need Memphis to win or Boston to smash the Grizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    AD had very good hands, there's no doubt about it, and his touch around the rim was very good. But compare their rates of finishing at the same points in their career.

AD in college shot 65% from 2 point range.
    Jaxson shot 73% from 2 point range.

Yes, a part of that is because Hayes finishes everything (nearly) around the rim and AD showed a little more versatility, but the touch is undeniable.

Hayes' hands are better than AD's, partly just because they're bigger. That's no insult to AD, he has very very good hands, but Hayes are all-world.
    AD shot jumpers in college that's a huge difference. Davis never dropped anything that I can remember, his catch radius was absurd and his touch on a lot of none dunks where he was falling out of bounds as a skinnier kid was otherworldly. I like Hayes, but Davis is still the best I've seen in both categories. I've already seen Hayes fumble a ball or two fwiw, and he's very much more comfortable catching with 2 hands. He has elite hands, but so did Davis and Davis definitely has better touch around the rim at this stage, I don't see how that part is even a debate.

The only real downside I see is that Hayes isn't in control a lot, but that will come with experience. He had 7 fouls in 24 minutes. He tries to block every shot even when he's not in a position to do so, and causes some unnecessary fouls that way. I'm sure he'll learn. Other than that, I like everything I see from him and NAW.

AD shot jumpers in college that's a huge difference. Davis never dropped anything that I can remember, his catch radius was absurd and his touch on a lot of none dunks where he was falling out of bounds as a skinnier kid was otherworldly. I like Hayes, but Davis is still the best I've seen in both categories. I've already seen Hayes fumble a ball or two fwiw, and he's very much more comfortable catching with 2 hands. He has elite hands, but so did Davis and Davis definitely has better touch around the rim at this stage, I don't see how that part is even a debate.
    AD went to one of the best coaches while Hayes was mismanaged at Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    AD went to one of the best coaches while Hayes was mismanaged at Texas.
    That is true.

Also, if you've can't remember Davis dropping anything at all, I'd recommend you watch... like, most games from the past two years or so? It was relatively common for him to get a pass and either have it slip through his hands or for him to go for the offensive board and fumble it as he brought it down.

Not super common, like I said, he does have elite hands, but it's not like he had magnetic fingers or something. He dropped or fumbled stuff fairly often.

AD shot jumpers in college? Becuase it took him a couple of years to have a decent jumper in the NBA, and he still struggles with it time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    AD shot jumpers in college? Becuase it took him a couple of years to have a decent jumper in the NBA, and he still struggles with it time to time.
    Rookie AD didn't shoot better than 38% anywhere outside of the paint. Out of the 94 players to attempt at least 250 midrange shots in 2012-13, AD was 92nd in accuracy. Shot 33% overall in the midrange.

Thread Information