Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Rank Our Draft Day

Hayes is definitely an upside guy. Reddish would have been too

Zion A++++++++
    Hayes B+
    NAW B+

I think we look back in 4 years and a redraft would have Hayes in the top 6 and NaW in the top 10

Okeke would have been top 10.

Absolute baller

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Okeke would have been top 10.

Absolute baller
    Agreed on that. I had us taking Okeke if we ended up making a pick between 10-15.
    Basketball.

Y’all see the Hayes pro day video? Dude is a mid range jump shot assassin

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hayes is definitely an upside guy. Reddish would have been too
    I mean, Reddish is a project with a few skills. I'm not sure his upside is as high as some people argue though. I feel like with Cam, he's a beneficiary of the tendency some people have to look at a guy and see that he's tall, he's long, and he sometimes looks like he can shoot, and then they decide that's upside.

They ignore his mediocre feet, dreadful handle, awful hands, mediocre feel, sub-par passing, tendency to zone out, and complete inability to handle driving at the rim with any competence.

With Hayes, while he's definitely a project he has very good footwork, fantastic hands, a decent feel for the game especially on defense, and a real tenacity on the defensive end. He's also a fantastic finisher who has shown real touch around the rim. That's upside.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I just posted it.

Pels should have at least one guy in the dunk contest next year. If Zion refuses to do it, Hayes should do it. And in a perfect world, both, like when TMac and VC both participated in the same year.

Catch Zion doing a 360 tomahawk in the same contest that Hayes busts out his free-throw line windmill.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Obvious empty-gym caveats aside, that jumpshot looks great for someone as raw as Hayes. Follow through is miles better than I expected (something that Zion needs to work very hard on) and his mechanics and feet look pretty consistent. If he can learn to tuck his elbow in (another thing Zion really needs to work on, maybe they should just shoot together) I don't see why he can't develop into a decently reliable outside shooter.

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic had the Pelicans as his favorite draft:
    1. New Orleans Pelicans — Obviously when you take Zion Williamson, you’re a winner. For more on why I think he’s the best prospect since Anthony Davis, you can click here. But even beyond that, I think the Pelicans did exceptionally well. They took an elite athlete at the center position in Jaxson Hayes who will protect the rim, act as a rim-runner/lob threat in pick-and-roll, and who can run out on the break at high speeds with guys like Lonzo Ball, Jrue Holiday and Zion. Then to follow it up, they took one of my favorite value picks of the draft in Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who is exactly what they needed due to his shooting ability. They closed out their draft night with Didi at No. 35, a Brazilian wing who has a chance to be an athletic wing and who can shoot the ball from distance, even though he needs more time to get polished. Outside of Zion, this draft was all acquired as a result of the Davis deal, so it’s worth noting everything that they have acquired. For Davis, the Pelicans have thus far received Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first-round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. David Griffin has done well moving Davis, and has set up the Pelicans for a remarkable amount of success in the post-Davis, Zion era.
    He also had NAW has his best prospect fit:
    1. Nickeil Alexander-Walker — I love everything about this pick from the Pelicans. It’s right in his range value-wise, but more than that, he complements what the Pelicans have in the backcourt perfectly. Next to Lonzo Ball, Alexander-Walker can help as a secondary half-court ball-handler who can initiate some actions and knock down shots by running to the 3-point line in transition. Next to Jrue Holiday, he can play off the ball and hit shots direct off the catch. Heck, you might be able to play all three together given that they’re all 6-foot-4 or taller. And with Alexander-Walker, the Pelicans started to rectify what remains the team’s biggest need surrounding Zion Williamson — floor-spacing and shooting. Just a perfect blend of need, fit and value from David Griffin here with the extra pick he got from the Hawks in the trade involving No. 4.

Thread Information