Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: October 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Atlanta Hawks - Preseason - 0-0

Pelicans October 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Atlanta Hawks - Preseason - 0-0

Pelicans Basketball is Back!!!

It's been a long summer. A lot has happened. We lost AD, Solo, Randle, Payton, and many more. We gained Ingram, Lonzo, Hart, Hayes, NAW, Favors, Redick, and Zion. Huge roster shakeup. This Pelicans team looks completely different to the Pelicans team that started last year. In many ways that's a good thing.

For a couple of years we've been trying to find the fit of the perfect pass-first PG to pair with Jrue. Rondo was the first real try, but he's lazy these days outside of the playoffs. He's a lazy assist-maker on most nights, seeking the now infamous Rondo-assist over any real creation, and he doesn't play defense anymore. The next year with Payton looked like it might have been an upgrade, but then Payton got injured. And injured again. And never looked right again after that for us. Now we have Lonzo Ball, who is the youngest of the three, the best defender, and almost certainly the best and most creative passer. The problem is his offense; will he get it going? We'll find out.

For even longer than that, we've had a hole at Small Forward. For a lot of people, it's hard to even remember the days where we had a good one. Not just serviceable, but legitimately good. Well, now we have another player stepping up to the plate. Everyone on this site knows my reservations with regards to Brandon Ingram, but although I don't think he'll ever reach that perennial all-star level some others predict for him, I'm pretty sure he can be at least better than his past seasons have shown. And he'll get all the chance in the world to show it because he'll have first bite at SF minutes, and will get plenty of chances under Gentry. Will he pan out enough for us to extend him the big contract he's gonna get? Who knows, but it will be fun to watch him and find out. Contrary to what many of you seem to think, I do want him to succeed I want every Pelican to succeed and improve.

And of course, the rookies. Zion is the big name here. He has all the potential to be the best player in the league if he puts everything together. He can defend 1 through 5, legitimately. He's explosive beyond all belief. He's strong; he can move defenders and they cannot move him. He has a handle; he can create for himself but he's not selfish because he's a willing and skilled passer. He rebounds like a demon. If he works like a mad-man over the next few seasons, I don't see any reason that he can't be the most dominant player in the NBA by the time his rookie deal is up, and that's big to think about. For his first year though, we should temper the expectations a little; everyone takes some time to adjust,and even someone like Trae Young who had a magnificent rookie year overall sucked for a few months at the beginning. Just enjoy the show.

NAW and Hayes will be fighting for minutes all year. NAW is likely to get them, looking poised to usurp Frank Jackson and possibly steal some minutes from Moore too, from pure versatility and size. He can score, he can shoot, just like them, but he can also play make and defend. Hayes is a touch less likely to get them, simply due to the fact that he's too raw to play PF and there are only so many minutes at C to go around. Favors will get them, Okafor will get them, and Zion and Melli will probably get a couple too. I think he'll play this year, but it won't be more than 50 games, and he won't average more than about 10 minutes a night in those appearances. Still, it will be fun to see him when he appears.

Tonight we play the Hawks. Honestly, I expect for us to win. I can't post stats or league rankings like I usually would here because it's pre-season, game 1. But we are the obviously superior defensive team at basically every position. We have more ball handlers and creators. Trae Young is fantastic, but we have two elite defensive guards to put on him and they both have a handy size advantage. I think DeAndre Hunter is going to be a big disappointment for them as the #4 pick: he'll be solid, but I doubt he'll live up to that draft position. John Collins is extremely gifted offensively, but if Favors is healthy and ready to go, we have the defense required to meet him and he has big gaps in his defensive ability that Zion and Favors should be able to smash through.

This should be a fun game. Of course, it's just pre-season, so it doesn't mean too much even if we do lose, and really I wouldn't expect anyone to play more than about 25 minutes. But at the end of the day, we're a few hours away from seeing the new look Pelicans take to the floor and play an actual game of basketball.

Let's get hype! Let's go! #WBD.
    Basketball.

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Anywhere to watch on TV?

Interesting side note, I didn't make the scrimmage....went to eat at Drago's at like 9pm and I swear Josh Hart walked in and sat a table over from us. I was 99% sure but the 1% kept me from saying something. Ah well. Bring on the preseason!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Looking forward to hearing the dulcet tones of Joel Myers calling Zion plays.

Shame David Wesley isn't going to be with us anymore, but I'm sure Antonio Daniels will do a fine job.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Im excited yet anxious to see how Zion fairs size-wise against his matchups in real NBA action. He should be fine, but it's annoying to constantly see people constantly say he won't fair well. Shut em up Zion!

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Im excited yet anxious to see how Zion fairs size-wise against his matchups in real NBA action. He should be fine, but it's annoying to constantly see people constantly say he won't fair well. Shut em up Zion!
    I mean, his primary assignments this game will probably be among the group of John Collins, DeAndre Hunter, Cam Reddish, DeAndre Bembry, and Alex Len and uh...

I feel like he can take 'em

I don't think any of them can defend him at all, and the only one of them who I think is going to be a serious offensive player is John Collins. So Zion should be okay, I reckon

Oh something that I didn't mention in my OP, but which I still think is true:

The worst defender in the Hawks' starting lineup is Trae Young. He's really really bad on defense. Incredible passer, projects as a monster shooter, but cannot defend his own shadow. Far too small, not strong enough, etc etc. As a result the Hawks generally try to hide him on the other team's weakest guard.

So that means he'll probably be guarding Lonzo whenever he's on the court because of Lonzo's reputation as a very poor offensive player: a reputation Lonzo has earned in the past due to his sub-par finishing, his dreadful shooting, and his fear of contact.

Hopefully Lonzo will be able to exploit that fact and use his size and length to shoot over Young, and get a hot start to the pre-season by hitting a few shots against a horrible defender.

I expect the defense to be leaky and give up back door layups. It's going to be a work in progress clear to December probably.

Offensively should be some fireworks and this idea the starting 5 lacks spacing should be put to rest quick.

Welcome back everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I expect the defense to be leaky and give up back door layups. It's going to be a work in progress clear to December probably.

Offensively should be some fireworks and this idea the starting 5 lacks spacing should be put to rest quick.
    I feel like the defense might be a touch leaky all year tbh. That'll be by design though, as frustrating as that might be. Gentry has said a bunch that he wants bigs playing up and not sagging back into the lane, so that's gonna happen a bit.

Jrue Holiday's Advice for Rookies

- It's okay to make mistakes, but learn from them.
    - Don't get discouraged by the step up from summer league or college
    - Be coachable

waaaaay too long lol but I'm sure it was great as usual. so damn excited about tonight even if it's preseason and is there any more great things you can say about jrue? I mean dude has just taken it on to his shoulders guy deserves a standing ovation.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Jrue is such a professional, it is nice to have him as our leader

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    Jrue is such a professional, it is nice to have him as our leader
    yeah and I just love that you know that it's not just lip service he's giving these guys he actually wants help them.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    yeah and I just love that you know that it's not just lip service he's giving these guys he actually wants help them.

For real. I remember back in February, March, that kind of time, when a couple of people were saying that we should be seriously considering moving Jrue for assets

Most of us were against that, it wasn't a common view, because a lot of us understood the value of a great veteran leader, a great mentor, etc etc, and that Jrue wanted to stay we should keep him because he's a great player who is special to this franchise.

Glad we kept him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want Jrue's jersey retired

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For real. I remember back in February, March, that kind of time, when a couple of people were saying that we should be seriously considering moving Jrue for assets

Most of us were against that, it wasn't a common view, because a lot of us understood the value of a great veteran leader, a great mentor, etc etc, and that Jrue wanted to stay we should keep him because he's a great player who is special to this franchise.

Glad we kept him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want Jrue's jersey retired
    yeah him a gentry when these thing went down they both went above and beyond I genuinely hope he retires here but I also wouldn't be mad that if we aren't winning he went somewhere else. and hell yeah even though it's rare I wouldn't mind him being our first

yeah him a gentry when these thing went down they both went above and beyond I genuinely hope he retires here but I also wouldn't be mad that if we aren't winning he went somewhere else. and hell yeah even though it's rare I wouldn't mind him being our first

I've had people before tell me (not on this site, but just in conversation and on twitter) that we can't retire Jrue's jersey because he's never won a ring here, or made all-nba teams, or MVP awards or whatever.

My only response to that is this: if OKC can retire the jersey of perennial 11th man Nick Collison, we can retire Jrue's number

I've had people before tell me (not on this site, but just in conversation and on twitter) that we can't retire Jrue's jersey because he's never won a ring here, or made all-nba teams, or MVP awards or whatever.

My only response to that is this: if OKC can retire the jersey of perennial 11th man Nick Collison, we can retire Jrue's number
    lmao, what? that's not how retiring a jersey works but yeah great rebut

Favors may or may not play, but it's good to see him getting some warm-up in.

I will note that Favors is a 9 year vet who shoots a career 21% from three (35 of 167 in 9 years), so it's kinda weird to see him practicing corner threes but hey, the stroke doesn't look too bad

Derrick Favors coming for that 3 point contest this year

Favors may or may not play, but it's good to see him getting some warm-up in.

I will note that Favors is a 9 year vet who shoots a career 21% from three (35 of 167 in 9 years), so it's kinda weird to see him practicing corner threes but hey, the stroke doesn't look too bad

Derrick Favors coming for that 3 point contest this year
    hey we don't need him to be great we just need him to be threat

hey we don't need him to be great we just need him to be threat

To be honest, if he legitimately cannot shoot threes, I'd rather he not take them at all.

He shot about 43% last year in the midrange. Everyone who reads my rants on here knows how much I don't like the midrange, but if you can't shoot 3s, just don't. Don't brick the shots and waste the possessions. Pass it, or get a shot that you can hit.

Favors is a Go!

The whole starting 5 of Lonzo/Jrue/Ingram/Zion/Favors is good to go!

Like I said in the op, it's pre-season so don't expect anyone to play much more than 25 minutes, but we should get a legit look at our major pieces tonight!

Yep, all as expected.

I feel like we have the definite advantage at most spots here.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is there any way to watch on mobile?

Thread Information