Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Willie, Griff, And Trajan secretly extended in offseason.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    It?s not that easy

Signed

The Luxury tax
    1. You have trouble with basic reading comprehension.
    2. You're unfamiliar with the lengths and amounts of player salaries.
    3. You expect us to believe you know how the luxury tax works.

Ok, yeah. I'm done replying to your posts.

You know what, I'll just move to the other board altogether and credit you with running off another poster (two in the same thread!). Have fun.

So you are not extended Herb then? Bad move

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...brandon-ingram
    Herb has already been extended, so I'd use that in factoring in what that report is worth. Not to mention Hawkins hasn't even finished his first year...we're worried about an extension for him? He can't even get on the floor.

Do I think we should blow things up a bit? Maybe. Should we have had to blow things up? Short answer- no. Again, I don’t think the players are the problem. I don’t think they were the problem when Gentry was here and I don’t think they are the issue now. Do we go for some lower maintenance players to take the coaching out of Willie’s hands?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And people question why nobody posts here.
    The FO and ownership, just aren't serious about ever being a contender and care more about the uneducated fans who continue to have the wool pulled over their eyes.
    Reddit and Twitter get most of the action. I don't think that's on ownership. And fans are fans. All this qualifying of educated or not instead of just talking ball is why people avoid certain spaces.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Do I think we should blow things up a bit? Maybe. Should we have had to blow things up? Short answer- no. Again, I don?t think the players are the problem. I don?t think they were the problem when Gentry was here and I don?t think they are the issue now. Do we go for some lower maintenance players to take the coaching out of Willie?s hands?
    Willie is just so bad it?s unbearable. I mean the refusal to play through Jonas to close a game is absurd. They keep putting the worst player on the team in to close games. It makes no sense. I would rather Robinson-Earl all day. Larry is an unplayable situation most of the time. He gives the other team so many advantages that it?s exhausting.

BI got to go. Glad National media is seeing this

BI got to go. Glad National media is seeing this
    Problem is, if they are seeing it, so are other GMs. We may not get a lot of value in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Problem is, if they are seeing it, so are other GMs. We may not get a lot of value in a trade.
    You're not going to get huge value in a trade for BI at this point anyway, because the same contract situation that makes him untenable will still exist wherever he goes. He'll still need extending, and that's still going to be expensive. That's why I, and others, wanted to move him last year - it would have maximised value while it existed (of course, last year there was the injury that had a lot of people wanting to put it off to build value, so it's a tricky spot).

I think you just have to accept that you're not going to get true equivalent value for BI at this point, and do it anyway.

Lose a fringe all-star player and get back two really solid rotation players. Buy into Herb's 3pt improvement being real, trust that Trey is taking that leap to the point where he essentially replaces Ingram in terms of scoring upside (he's already more impactful by a lot of advanced metrics, which fits the eye test imo), and explore options for CJ throughout the year.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You're not going to get huge value in a trade for BI at this point anyway, because the same contract situation that makes him untenable will still exist wherever he goes. He'll still need extending, and that's still going to be expensive. That's why I, and others, wanted to move him last year - it would have maximised value while it existed (of course, last year there was the injury that had a lot of people wanting to put it off to build value, so it's a tricky spot).

I think you just have to accept that you're not going to get true equivalent value for BI at this point, and do it anyway.

Lose a fringe all-star player and get back two really solid rotation players. Buy into Herb's 3pt improvement being real, trust that Trey is taking that leap to the point where he essentially replaces Ingram in terms of scoring upside (he's already more impactful by a lot of advanced metrics, which fits the eye test imo), and explore options for CJ throughout the year.
    How about BI, CJ, and a couple 1sts for Trae Young and Capela? I think Trae fits better with Zion and BI fits better with Murray. ATL can work out a contract extension with BI as part of the deal. I don?t think Trae?s market will be super robust due to his defensive limitations and ineffeciency stigma, and no one could offer a reasonable replacement like BI on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    How about BI, CJ, and a couple 1sts for Trae Young and Capela? I think Trae fits better with Zion and BI fits better with Murray. ATL can work out a contract extension with BI as part of the deal. I don?t think Trae?s market will be super robust due to his defensive limitations and ineffeciency stigma, and no one could offer a reasonable replacement like BI on that team.
    I'm always sceptical about Trae Young because on one hand, he is a superlative passer and his shooting threat is huge.

On the other hand, he's a ball-hog who other teammates have notably hated playing with because he won't pass, and if you thought CJ's defense was bad then whoa-boy.

I have a hard time imagining Zion peaking alongside Trae Young because I have a hard time imagining Trae Young actually letting Zion run on-ball. Which is fair because Young himself isn't great off ball and you'd be minimising his talents in doing so. That would mean you could always have one of them on the floor which is good and means you'd always have someone who could create on the court, but you'd also be purposefully acquiring a mega-star who steps on the toes of your existing mega-star, and potentially stymies the growth of hopeful mega-stars like Trey.

It's a difficult situation. I'm not sure how much I like it.

I'm always sceptical about Trae Young because on one hand, he is a superlative passer and his shooting threat is huge.

On the other hand, he's a ball-hog who other teammates have notably hated playing with because he won't pass, and if you thought CJ's defense was bad then whoa-boy.

I have a hard time imagining Zion peaking alongside Trae Young because I have a hard time imagining Trae Young actually letting Zion run on-ball. Which is fair because Young himself isn't great off ball and you'd be minimising his talents in doing so. That would mean you could always have one of them on the floor which is good and means you'd always have someone who could create on the court, but you'd also be purposefully acquiring a mega-star who steps on the toes of your existing mega-star, and potentially stymies the growth of hopeful mega-stars like Trey.

Trae Young is CJ if he was an actual PG. I like the fit far more than extending BI and hampering Murphy’s growth. Getting rid of BI and CJ clears the way for Murphy (starting SG) and Hawkins (future 6th man SG, Jamal Crawford lite). Having Murphy, Herb and Capela starting with Jose, Dyson, and Larry off the bench would still give us great defense.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-23-2024 at 03:54 PM.

Trae Young is CJ if he was an actual PG. I like the fit far more than extending BI and hampering Murphy’s growth. Getting rid of BI and CJ clears the way for Murphy (starting SG) and Hawkins (future 6th man SG, Jamal Crawford lite). Having Murphy, Herb and Capela starting with Jose, Dyson, and Larry off the bench would still give us great defense.
    I don't think Trae and CJ have that much in common at all. They play completely differently, they take different types of threes and have wildly different efficiency when doing so, and they're not comparable as defenders either.

I've said a hundred times that I also don't want to extend BI, but given that it's not a binary (that is, either extend BI or get Trae, no alternatives at all) I don't see why I would have to evaluate the two things against each other exclusively. Would I rather test the waters with Trae than pay BI? Probably, but I'd rather look at the other options too.

Besides, does keeping BI hamper Trey's growth more than acquiring Trae? I'm not sure. Again, Trae is a massive ball-hog, I'd be sceptical of him giving Zion on ball reps, let alone Trey Murphy. Trey's a fantastic shooter but I don't want him to become exclusively a spot up guy whenever Trae's on the floor, and I think that's a concern worth having.

I don't think Trae and CJ have that much in common at all. They play completely differently, they take different types of threes and have wildly different efficiency when doing so, and they're not comparable as defenders either.

I've said a hundred times that I also don't want to extend BI, but given that it's not a binary (that is, either extend BI or get Trae, no alternatives at all) I don't see why I would have to evaluate the two things against each other exclusively. Would I rather test the waters with Trae than pay BI? Probably, but I'd rather look at the other options too.

Besides, does keeping BI hamper Trey's growth more than acquiring Trae? I'm not sure. Again, Trae is a massive ball-hog, I'd be sceptical of him giving Zion on ball reps, let alone Trey Murphy. Trey's a fantastic shooter but I don't want him to become exclusively a spot up guy whenever Trae's on the floor, and I think that's a concern worth having.
    What other options do you think will be available to trade BI and replace him with anyone of quality? Maybe Bridges, Lavine, a broken down Klay, Jordan Poole, DeAndre Ayton? None of those guys fill the massive need at PG. One of the Atlanta PGs seems to be the most realistic option. BI isn’t a bad player, just not a max player to be playing next to Zion. he will definitely have a market.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-23-2024 at 07:00 PM.

I think if you can get Dejounte Murray and Onyeka Okongwu from ATL for BI and 2024 pick you do that 11 times out of 10.

Murray and Herb defensively in the backcourt improves greatly from CJ and Herb.

A starting line up of:

Murray
    Herb
    Trey
    Zion
    Okongwu

Is such a good fit both offensively and defensivly.

Bench

CJ*
    Alvarado
    Daniels
    Hawkins
    Ryan
    Nance*

*trade and upgarde at the deadline.

I thought CP3 was an UFA. He is on a 1 year $30 million deal. I’d trade CJ for CP3 straight up. CJ deserves to be a splash brother. This is the most probable move for the Pels in the offseason imo. Griff is likely keeping BI.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-23-2024 at 07:22 PM.

I thought CP3 was an UFA. He is on a 1 year $30 million deal. I’d trade CJ for CP3 straight up. CJ deserves to be a splash brother. This is the most probable move for the Pels in the offseason imo. Griff is likely keeping BI.
    Would love that, but its not long term. Still want BI gone for DM and OO.
    That would make my offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Would love that, but its not long term. Still want BI gone for DM and OO.
    That would make my offseason.
    Rumor is that Atlanta wants to keep Murray over Young but one will be traded.

Rumor is that Atlanta wants to keep Murray over Young but one will be traded.
    This is where you add some draft comp. Can't hang onto it for ever.

I agree. Not sure Trae makes sense for us.

Lakers will go in on Trae Young . Especially if one of the Lakers babies runs away from them.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-24-2024 at 01:48 PM.

Thread Information