Pelicans Report

Thread: Keeping the 2024 Lakers' pick ?

Keeping the 2024 Lakers' pick ?

I know this is supposed to be a weak draft class but I am the only one that wonder if we should keep LA pick for 2024 instead of deferring it to 2025 ?

I actually like the 24 class for the pels. There's plenty of prospects with both upside and ability to fit nicely in position of need.
    The pels could go for the upside pick with the Lakers pick and the safer option with theirs or the other way around depending on who's left.

If you look for a playmaking guard, to play both on and off the ball (similar to current McCollum's diet), with ability to shoot the 3:
    Upside picks : Shepard/Collier/Dillingham/Carrington
    Safer picks : Kolek/T.Alexander/A.Mitchell/McCain

If you look for a big with mobility, shot blocking and ability to spread the floor :
    Upside picks : Ware/Chomche
    Safer picks : Filipowski/D.Holmes/PJ Hall/R.Kalkbrenner

I think there's real value in this draft especially in the late first early second.

Wish we just trade the dang pick(s). Willie doesn't even want to play them the rare chance we hit

Personally, it depends what the Pels do in Play-In/1st round...... lose = blow the roster up. I have to see what we do to truly answer.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

I would lean towards deferring to 2025. 2025 is supposed to be a much better draft and therefore, it may have more trade value as the "unknown". Also, it pushes the Lakers out a year before they can use their pick.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    Wish we just trade the dang pick(s). Willie doesn't even want to play them the rare chance we hit

Personally, it depends what the Pels do in Play-In/1st round...... lose = blow the roster up. I have to see what we do to truly answer.

So if we lose to the Clippers in a 4-5 series - one of the hottest and most talented teams in the league - you think the entire roster should be blown up?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would lean towards deferring to 2025. 2025 is supposed to be a much better draft and therefore, it may have more trade value as the "unknown". Also, it pushes the Lakers out a year before they can use their pick.
    I agree if you assess your choice on raw value, 2025 is supposed to be stronger and the Lakers will be less flexible with having their 2024.
    Now I think this draft class is underrated and may present better long term values for the pels. I think that very few prospect will withdraw from it to avoid next year class so I fully anticipate to have a backloaded draft, with the late first early second round from 24 being way better than the ones from next year. Scouts tends to evaluate the draft through the lens of the top 10 prospects and there's a very slim chance that NO ends up with a pick there in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I agree if you assess your choice on raw value, 2025 is supposed to be stronger and the Lakers will be less flexible with having their 2024.
    Now I think this draft class is underrated and may present better long term values for the pels. I think that very few prospect will withdraw from it to avoid next year class so I fully anticipate to have a backloaded draft, with the late first early second round from 24 being way better than the ones from next year. Scouts tends to evaluate the draft through the lens of the top 10 prospects and there's a very slim chance that NO ends up with a pick there in 2025.
    Yeah, but the value of the unknown unprotected 2025 in theory would have more value in a trade this offseason than a late lottery pick (or later) in a down draft in 2024.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Man that was a clinic in ball Movement. Nobody forced anything. GGs

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Man that was a clinic in ball Movement. Nobody forced anything. GGs
    Oh, I guess this is the game thread.

Yeah it was a great win. Nice 41 point win on the road.

As always..............

DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!!

Trey has stepped up and the Pels are magically looking better. That isn’t a shocker. Sometimes it feels like he is the most important one to get going. Not because he is the superstar but because he brings the most valuable skillset to the team. We need to keep him engaged and keep him confident.

As for the pick, I think you wait for the Lakers to implode. There is always the chance that they don’t next year, but you take that chance. As others have said that draft is supposed to be stronger as well. All the more reason to sit on it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I think you wait it out too unless it becomes a top 10 pick. Sure, maybe you give up let's say #14 to #18 this year and the following year it ends up #26. But there's always a reasonable chance next year AD and/or LeBron gets hurt, and maybe they even just shut LeBron down if AD goes down at a certain time, and you end up with a top 5 pick.

Saw a few posts on Twitter yesterday trashing the starting lineup because their net rating for the year is +0.0. But is it how you start, or how you finish?

https://twitter.com/BirdWatcher504/s...53318405414937

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Saw a few posts on Twitter yesterday trashing the starting lineup because their net rating for the year is +0.0. But is it how you start, or how you finish?

https://twitter.com/BirdWatcher504/s...53318405414937

its almost as if when given time to gel they play better?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    its almost as if when given time to gel they play better?
    Well it shouldn’t take 3 quarters of the season to gel.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Well it shouldn?t take 3 quarters of the season to gel.
    They haven't had enough time together because of the injuries and also Zion had to play himself into shape. Better to be peaking now than then. Also this is why you don't rush to make big changes to a team that hasn't had time o reach its potential.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    So, the team has started to gel and the best comment is, "IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THIS LONG!". No wonder nobody comes to this site anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    So, the team has started to gel and the best comment is, "IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THIS LONG!". No wonder nobody comes to this site anymore.
    It's not just this site. It seems to be a Pelicans "fan" mentality on message boards. It seems everyone wants to find something about the team to complain about no matter whether they win or lose. It is really annoying.

I'll wait to determine if they've gelled. Let's see how the rest of the season goes when they're playing top competition away and at home.
    Last edited by sterlr; 03-07-2024 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It's not just this site. It seems to be a Pelicans "fan" mentality on message boards. It seems everyone wants to find something about the team to complain about no matter whether they win or lose. It is really annoying.
    Meh. They have underachieved at a pivotal time. I can see why lots of fans are frustrated. They had to put up with Alvin Gentry and all those years of incompetence before now. I just think sooner or later it takes a toll. I think it’s perfectly fair to call a team out, but they shouldn’t be complaining if the team is doing well. Hopefully we get that 4th spot on lockdown. That should be our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Meh. They have underachieved at a pivotal time. I can see why lots of fans are frustrated. They had to put up with Alvin Gentry and all those years of incompetence before now. I just think sooner or later it takes a toll. I think it’s perfectly fair to call a team out, but they shouldn’t be complaining if the team is doing well. Hopefully we get that 4th spot on lockdown. That should be our goal.
    Calling them out does not bother me. It is the pissing and moaning after a win or when they are playing. We could win by 40 and some will complain that Zion did not have a huge game or that BI did not shoot enough 3s.

Karlo has looked amazing in the Gleague. I wouldn’t mind him taking some of those center minutes if they become available.

Karlo has looked amazing in the Gleague. I wouldn’t mind him taking some of those center minutes if they become available.
    https://gleague.nba.com/player/1631255/karlo-matkovic

Would be nice to see those rebounds and 3P% go up.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    https://gleague.nba.com/player/1631255/karlo-matkovic

Would be nice to see those rebounds and 3P% go up.
    I already like him because he is batting 1.000 in free throw percentage...small sample, but nonetheless.

DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!! DESENSE!!!

Just saw this on my feed...The 15 Biggest One Year Wonders in NBA History. Several ex Pelican/Hornets on the list. Enjoy!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...interstitial=5

DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!!

Thread Information