Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: January 27th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks - 26-19

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I have asked the same question on SaintsReport and will ask it here.

This shall put the arguments of "lack of offense or defense" to rest:

Why are the nuggest and thunder and clippers on the top of the west and we are on the bottom?...

Because they have better defense than us?

Or, is it because they have more better offense than us?

I would very much like to know the answer to this question. What is it that the top teams in the west have that we don't? Is it the lack of offense or defense that this team is missing?
    I was listening to Isola and Scalabrini on The Starting Lineup on Friday, and a general question similar to this came up (not regarding Pels). Scal said the league has changed. He said you can win championships with an average defense and an elite offense, but you won't win championships with an elite defense but only an average offense. He said between the rules, and the skill of the players, its an OFFENSIVE game. And you have to have an elite offense to be a contender. I know, I know, its exactly the opposite of what the board spammer says all the time, but who am I to believe? A former NBA player turned analyst, or a board spammer? I'll leave it up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I was listening to Isola and Scalabrini on The Starting Lineup on Friday, and a general question similar to this came up (not regarding Pels). Scal said the league has changed. He said you can win championships with an average defense and an elite offense, but you won't win championships with an elite defense but only an average offense. He said between the rules, and the skill of the players, its an OFFENSIVE game. And you have to have an elite offense to be a contender. I know, I know, its exactly the opposite of what the board spammer says all the time, but who am I to believe? A former NBA player turned analyst, or a board spammer? I'll leave it up to you.
    That's because the board spammer is living in the NBA 90's . We know it, they know it everybody but Mr. 90's does not know it. Or refuses to

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I think this team needs a shakeup. First personnel. If that doesn't work, then Willie has to go.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I think this team needs a shakeup. First personnel. If that doesn't work, then Willie has to go.
    They definitely need a new coach. They need a leader of men in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    If your Griff and you see this team play against the best teams lately in blowouts after blowouts...yeah, he might just make some changes before the deadline
    Don't think you can really trade Trey or Zion right now because teams will just be trying to buy low.

Because of their age/contracts, CJ, Nance, JV probably only return downgrades. maybe the team will bite the bullet and just turn JV into a better stylistic fit, but I certainly wouldn't be using draft picks to plug holes in a sinking ship.

If the pelicans trade Herb, might as well blow it up.

now might be the best time to trade Bi if you're ever going to do it, just like the Jazz did Deron Williams. It would be a bold call, but i'd respect it.

The rest are hawkins and guys with inconsequential value.

I don't think paying yet another coach is the solution personally.

This team has already shown this season that we are one good deal away from competing for the NBA Finals…

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Willie is just a terrible coach with a good roster. If it’s up to him to decide the outcome of games, we can rest assure that it will be an L. He’s bad at all things other than maybe being a defensive assistant.

Good thing we have a lot of home games awaiting...oh wait...

Oh yeah. The collapse is coming and then we will be having the same conversation we have around the allstar break every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Don't think you can really trade Trey or Zion right now because teams will just be trying to buy low.

Because of their age/contracts, CJ, Nance, JV probably only return downgrades. maybe the team will bite the bullet and just turn JV into a better stylistic fit, but I certainly wouldn't be using draft picks to plug holes in a sinking ship.

If the pelicans trade Herb, might as well blow it up.

now might be the best time to trade Bi if you're ever going to do it, just like the Jazz did Deron Williams. It would be a bold call, but i'd respect it.

The rest are hawkins and guys with inconsequential value.

I don't think paying yet another coach is the solution personally.
    Getting rid of the head coach is always the easy way out for fans but this roster is severely flawed in many ways, especially in the starting lineup and the end of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Getting rid of the head coach is always the easy way out for fans but this roster is severely flawed in many ways, especially in the starting lineup and the end of the bench.
    Well it’s time to build around the coach then. From what I see, only Herb Jones is a Willie type guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Oh yeah. The collapse is coming and then we will be having the same conversation we have around the allstar break every year.
    Overreaction much? This is probably the toughest stretch of games all season. I was hoping just to win 1 of 3, but Celtics will be very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Overreaction much? This is probably the toughest stretch of games all season. I was hoping just to win 1 of 3, but Celtics will be very tough.
    Well no. They have faced the clippers, nuggets, suns, Thunder , and Bucks with an average margin of defeat being 18.3 points. That to me is a tragedy. Why do you root for a team that you don’t expect to win? 1 of 3 was your hope is just something that means faith is little for you in regards to them. Not to mention, at this point of the season, they are regressing. I look at the current situation and they look to have taken a step backwards and they are healthy.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 01-29-2024 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Well no. They have faced the clippers, nuggets, suns, Thunder , and Bucks with an average margin of defeat being 18.3 points. That to me is a tragedy. Why do you root for a team that you don’t expect to win? 1 of 3 was your hope is just something that means faith is little for you in regards to them. Not to mention, at this point of the season, they are regressing. I look at the current situation and they look to have taken a step backwards and they are healthy.
    I do not expect the team to go 82-0. That is just setting your self up for disappointment. I do not think we are on the level of teams like the Celtics or Bucks. My hope was we win the Thunder game. They just lost to the Pistons. I wonder if their fanbase is jumping off the deep end as a result. Too many here just wait and hope for a loss so that they can start their rants again. Why do you root for a team that you love to complain about whenever they lose (or even win an ugly game)?

I said it back in November, I'll say it again. We're a team that, just off talent alone, will win 43-48 games in any given year. But we're lacking the extra bits to make the push to true contender status. The fit isn't quite right with the main guys, the coach isn't quite there, etc.

It's not the worst place to be but sadly the window for making that jump is closing as both Trey and BIs contract extensions loom.
    Basketball.

Thread Information