Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: January 19th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Phoenix Suns - 25-17

I turned off the game during the 2nd quarter... no defense, no physicality in defense. I don't understand how Booker can score 52 and we defend him like girls 1v1. A few hard fouls and he wouldn't be so confident... A big disappointment for me, we're a long way from the top 4 in the West...

Yeah, we're inconsistent which in the NBA is code for you're not good enough to do it most of the time. I don't mind the Pels using these games to take data on the roster. It's their first real stretch playing together. I think we (and hopefully they) can see the flaws. But before making a trajectory-altering move it's okay to want have a bigger sample size. Frustrating, but understandable.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    This question shouldn't even include Hawkins ....
    Trey should start over Herb!

CJ, BI, JV, Trey, Zion starters

Alverado, Herb, Hawkins, then
    Nance, Daniels, Naji, if needed
    the rest of the roster.
    What does Trey do better than Hawkins? Serious question

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    What does Trey do better than Hawkins? Serious question
    Agreed!!

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Because the team doesn't have any stars. BI and Zion just aren't and that's evident against good teams.

Stars I mean top 20-30.
    This team has top 30 players. top 15 is what's missing. Ingram is who he is and won't get there. Zion played like one for a month last season, but he's really been a shell of that version this season. as long as Ingram is debatably the team's best player, Pels are in Hawks, Knicks, Kings territory at best of teams that won't be taken seriously.

The other problem is this team has too many one way players at the top, which means the sum of the parts is always greater than whole. All you really have to do is compare this team to OKC who's top 4 players can all defend, shoot and score and the flaws become pretty obvious by comparison.,

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    This team has top 30 players. top 15 is what's missing. Ingram is who he is and won't get there. Zion played like one for a month last season, but he's really been a shell of that version this season. as long as Ingram is debatably the team's best player, Pels are in Hawks, Knicks, Kings territory at best of teams that won't be taken seriously.

The other problem is this team has too many one way players at the top, which means the sum of the parts is always greater than whole. All you really have to do is compare this team to OKC who's top 4 players can all defend, shoot and score and the flaws become pretty obvious by comparison.,
    You nailed it

But now, I’m curious, where do we go from here?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Hawkins is better than Trey and I think it’s cause he just hoops. Trey is one dimensional just like his counterpart Tractor.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If teams are guarding Trey tight it's hard for him to get a shot off. Hawkins shoots so quick it's less of an issue because it comes out so fast off of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    You nailed it

But now, I’m curious, where do we go from here?
    Ideally? Do what OKC has done with continually shuffling the deck. I don't even think the tanking part is necessary. Chet was the only top pick they made.

Definitely need to be in position to pounce when rookie contract players like Haliburton and SGA inexplicably become available but that means you need to have all star talent available to trade. All NBA players can also be drafted in the middle of the first round and the Lakers pick is a potentially valuable pick. I don't necessarily think this is a doomed project, just need to pick the right players to commit to and trade the rest at the the right time for the right lotto tickets.

There's still a lot left to evaluate with the Pelicans so I don't think anyone should be upset with no changes at the deadline, but no one should be thinking the Pelicans should be spending assets to add talent right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Ideally? Do what OKC has done with continually shuffling the deck. I don't even think the tanking part is necessary. Chet was the only top pick they made.

Definitely need to be in position to pounce when rookie contract players like Haliburton and SGA inexplicably become available but that means you need to have all star talent available to trade. All NBA players can also be drafted in the middle of the first round and the Lakers pick is a potentially valuable pick. I don't necessarily think this is a doomed project, just need to pick the right players to commit to and trade the rest at the the right time for the right lotto tickets.

There's still a lot left to evaluate with the Pelicans so I don't think anyone should be upset with no changes at the deadline, but no one should be thinking the Pelicans should be spending assets to add talent right now.
    Gotta avoid overpaying in free agency for guys who are not clear top 10 nba players too. Remember how the Pelicans "missed out" on Kyle Lowry? Lowry has been really bad and just got benched and his making 30 million this year.

Im not in favor of making any moves, I want to see what this team can do. I dont think we are going to get significantly better by adding another piece to this team. We dont need another scorer. We need our scorers to play to their potential. BI, Zion, CJ are all scorers. Either you roll with these guys or you make a big trade moving one or two of them, putting all your eggs in the basket on getting back a top 10 or top 5 player.

Gotta avoid overpaying in free agency for guys who are not clear top 10 nba players too. Remember how the Pelicans "missed out" on Kyle Lowry? Lowry has been really bad and just got benched and his making 30 million this year.

Im not in favor of making any moves, I want to see what this team can do. I dont think we are going to get significantly better by adding another piece to this team. We dont need another scorer. We need our scorers to play to their potential. BI, Zion, CJ are all scorers. Either you roll with these guys or you make a big trade moving one or two of them, putting all your eggs in the basket on getting back a top 10 or top 5 player.
    Griff's got himself in a pickle. After giving (and I literally mean "GIVING") a max contract to someone who had about as much right to one as you or me, he's faced with the 'real' best player on the team coming to the pay window this Summer and unfortunately, he finds his cookie jar empty. So what does he tell BI?

"I have to determine how much I'm willing to overpay 3M3...factor in JV's contract status (provided he's still here)...set aside money for possibly two first round picks...and take Naji to the airport. So, buddy, you know I love you, but you are going to have to take less than you're worth".

Then BI tells him, "I'm playing out my contract and then shop the league in 2025".

So, here we are. For entirely different reasons, it's 2019 all over again.

```

For this reason, I would be shocked if our so-called "Big Three remains in tact after February 8th.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Griff's got himself in a pickle. After giving (and I literally mean "GIVING") a max contract to someone who had about as much right to one as you or me, he's faced with the 'real' best player on the team coming to the pay window this Summer and unfortunately, he finds his cookie jar empty. So what does he tell BI?

"I have to determine how much I'm willing to overpay 3M3...factor in JV's contract status (provided he's still here)...set aside money for possibly two first round picks...and take Naji to the airport. So, buddy, you know I love you, but you are going to have to take less than you're worth".

Then BI tells him, "I'm playing out my contract and then shop the league in 2025".

So, here we are. For entirely different reasons, it's 2019 all over again.

```

For this reason, I would be shocked if our so-called "Big Three remains in tact after February 8th.
    So what? All of the big three are soft as baby manure. Oh the big three that can barely keep them in the playin. Lose every game to teams with an actual big three.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    So what? All of the big three are soft as baby manure. Oh the big three that can barely keep them in the playin. Lose every game to teams with an actual big three.
    Yeah, our so-called 'Big Three' consist of:

1. A piece of Swiss Cheese' - a complementary player (until two years ago) who has lots of holes in his game.
    2. A fat chunk of Baloney - processed meat (not real) manufactured by the media who has very little substantive value.
    3. Mayonnaise - a guy spread so thin that he's lost his effect.

For those who think we are loaded....

You must be loaded.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-20-2024 at 08:54 PM.

Yeah, our so-called 'Big Three' consist of:

1. A piece of Swiss Cheese' - a complementary player (until two years ago) who has lots of holes in his game.
    2. A fat chunk of Baloney - processed meat (not real) manufactured by the media who has very little substantive value.
    3. Mayonnaise - a guy spread so thin that he's lost his effect.

For those who think we are loaded....

You must be loaded.
    I agree that our ?big 3? is the biggest problem on our team. 3 streaky offense only players. The biggest mistake this team can make is pay BI. The next move after the season is to trade BI to another middle of the road team such as the Hawks for Dejounte Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I agree that our ?big 3? is the biggest problem on our team. 3 streaky offense only players. The biggest mistake this team can make is pay BI. The next move after the season is to trade BI to another middle of the road team such as the Hawks for Dejounte Murray.
    I respectfully disagree with you, in part. The weakest link on this team, both on the court and off, is Max 197. He has handcuffed this team immeasurably with his unwarranted Max Contract. His performance on the court certainly did not, and does not, merit it. His manufactured superstar status is more myth than fact. He's a 'Paper Tiger' of epic proportions.

If he is so good, let's ship him off to Carolina for LaMelo Ball straight up...both were the # 1 picks in their respective drafts and Max 197 is from North Carolina. Problem is that Carolina would likely laugh in our face.

But I agree, I would not overpay BI. The dilemma is: how do you justify not paying BI after you literally gave MAX 197 his obscene contract for far less production. Like it or not, BI has carried the load for this team, almost single handedly, over the last five years and has not been a pain in the butt while doing so. Again, I would not overpay BI either but we've painted ourselves into a corner that even Houdini could not escape.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-21-2024 at 08:34 AM.

I respectfully disagree with you, in part. The weakest link on this team, both on the court and off, is Max 197. He has handcuffed this team immeasurably with his unwarranted Max Contract. His performance on the court certainly did not, and does not, merit it. His manufactured superstar status is more myth than fact. He's a 'Paper Tiger' of epic proportions.

If he is so good, let's ship him off to Carolina for LaMelo Ball straight up...both were the # 1 picks in their respective drafts and Max 197 is from North Carolina. Problem is that Carolina would likely laugh in our face.

But I agree, I would not overpay BI. The dilemma is: how do you justify not paying BI after you literally gave MAX 197 his obscene contract for far less production. Like it or not, BI has carried the load for this team, almost single handedly, over the last five years and has not been a pain in the butt while doing so. Again, I would not overpay BI either but we've painted ourselves into a corner that even Houdini could not escape.
    As usual, you are wrong. Zion is not one of the top 25 highest paid players in the NBA, guys like Klay, FVV, Zach Lavine, Trae Young, Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Kyrie, etc make more than him. His contract is an asset to the Pelicans organization, not a liability. If we wanted to move him we would get good compensation, unlike with Kira where we had to give up a pick to unload him.

As usual, you are wrong. Zion is not one of the top 25 highest paid players in the NBA, guys like Klay, FVV, Zach Lavine, Trae Young, Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Kyrie, etc make more than him. His contract is an asset to the Pelicans organization, not a liability. If we wanted to move him we would get good compensation, unlike with Kira where we had to give up a pick to unload him.
    Agree. He's a positive asset.

To cite you...

As usual his apologists always shows up.

You couldn't move that contract unless you attached a treasure trove of assets to it. Look last summer Portland wasn't even willing to part with the draft rights to unproven Scoot Henderson and fill for Max 197 unless we 'sweetened the ante' with draft picks.

Could you please enlighten me on what Max 197 has given this club on the court that would warrant a max contract?

Explain to me how his contract is an asset to the organization when we had to 'sweeten the pot' last year for an unproven rookie and fill?

I really wanna learn.

To cite you...

As usual his apologists always shows up.

You couldn't move that contract unless you attached a treasure trove of assets to it. Look last summer Portland wasn't even willing to part with the draft rights to unproven Scoot Henderson and fill for Max 197 unless we 'sweetened the ante' with draft picks.

Could you please enlighten me on what Max 197 has given this club on the court that would warrant a max contract?

Explain to me how his contract is an asset to the organization when we had to 'sweeten the pot' last year for an unproven rookie and fill?

I really wanna learn.
    If you think Zion is viewed as a negative asset with his current contract around the league then it's kind of difficult to find credibility in any of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If you think Zion is viewed as a negative asset with his current contract around the league then it's kind of difficult to find credibility in any of your statements.
    You know it's funny...

I've felt the same way about what you've offered on the forum forever.

C'est La Vie!!

PS: As I see you didn't attempt to answer the two questions I posed (instead trying to attack and insult me), I can only conclude that you can't answer the questions.

Thank You!!

You know it's funny...

I've felt the same way about what you've offered on the forum forever.

C'est La Vie!!

PS: As I see you didn't attempt to answer the two questions I posed (instead trying to attack and insult me), I can only conclude that you can't answer the questions.

Thank You!!
    Not really interested in engaging when your opinions are so uninformed and you can't even call players by their name. Take care and good luck.

To cite you...

As usual Look last summer Portland wasn't even willing to part with the draft rights to unproven Scoot Henderson and fill for Max 197 unless we 'sweetened the ante' with draft picks.
    So you make that up and assume it is true? The reports were that the Pels were not willing to trade Zion to get Scoot. Somehow, you make it a completely different story,

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I agree.

So what do we do?
    Charlotte - BI (or Zion) and Zeller.
    Pels - Washington, Miller and Williams.

Portland - Zion (or BI) and Naji.
    Pels - Henderson and Brogdan.

Picks can be added if required.

Let Jonas walk to use on FA's or re-sign him on a 1-2 year contract to move him in the 24/25 deadline.

The Pel's can recoup picks when they trade CJ and LNJ in their last season. To a larger extent if they re-sign JV (2 years) it's 4 quality players at the deadline over the next 2 years with MB.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Charlotte - BI (or Zion) and Zeller.
    Pels - Washington, Miller and Williams.

Portland - Zion (or BI) and Naji.
    Pels - Henderson and Brogdan.

Picks can be added if required.

Let Jonas walk to use on FA's or re-sign him on a 1-2 year contract to move him in the 24/25 deadline.

The Pel's can recoup picks when they trade CJ and LNJ in their last season. To a larger extent if they re-sign JV (2 years) it's 4 quality players at the deadline over the next 2 years with MB.
    Scoot hasn't shown nearly enough for me to consider the second one. The first one I'd need to think about but seems much more realistic.

There should be no talk of trading Zion or BI without a generational talent coming back. I don't want to trade either of those guys unless it's for all-nba caliber talent. And teams dont gives up those kinds of players so it's just not happening in all likelihood. What i would do is try to get one or more hard nosed veteran players with that dog like mentality, mental toughness and a fighting spirit, who has enough respect in the locker room to push our stars and bring out more tenacity. I'd trade BI for Jimmy Butler because he brings that quality but otherwise I think we have to go all in with them.

Thread Information