Pelicans Report

Thread: Who gets minutes?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Who gets minutes?

I see a lot of posts critical of the playing time given to various players and sometimes it seems like people complain without considering the math, so I am curious to get people's version of how the full picture should look. There are 240 minutes to go around, here is one example:

CJ - 30
    BI - 30
    Herb - 30
    Zion - 30
    Jonas - 26

Jose - 12
    Dyson - 20
    Hawkins - 20
    Trey - 20
    Lance 22

This is unrealistically low minutes for the starters but still I expect to see people complain that Trey and Hawkins aren't getting enough minutes in this rotation, so what would you do differently?
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 01-14-2024 at 12:09 AM.

BI has to play more then 30, Herb can go down to 25, Dyson and Hawkins can be between 10 and 30 deppending on what we need, defense or shooting. I would still give Naji some minutes if our shooters(Murphy, Hawkins) are cold.
    It is depending on the matchup and amount of rest before the game, but for sure we cant see any more Hawk DNPs.

There will be injure and all players will get to play. Bigger problem is to decide who we are keeping and paying. If Hawkins develose that should be easy since then Mccollum will be expendable. We need to hope Jonas, Naji and Nance will not require big contracts to keep. Pretty sure Naji is gone after the season if we dont do a trade to free up some money. I would really like to keep him for 4/20 or 3/15 something like that but im not sure if it is happening.

You don’t adhere to any strict rotation. You play whoever needs to play whenever they need to be playing. Some nights we will need shooting, others we will need length and energy. The truth is those numbers seem low for the starters, but if we took care of the games we needed to take care of this season they would look more realistic. When you have this much depth, there is no reason on earth the starters should be shouldering all that burden.

I will say, offensively, spacing is the most important thing in the league right now. It does several things. For one, it opens up the inside game and forces teams to respect the entire half court. What it also does is stretches teams thin and forces them out of rebounding position allowing you to get offensive boards. There is a reason we are getting rinsed on the boards sometimes and that is because we defend the 3 point line. Spacing just does so much in today’s NBA. You can’t freeze out guys like Hawkins right now. That is my only caveat.

Thread Information