Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: January 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 20-14

Its just amazing how when KAT and Ant just muscle up and charge to the bucket, we always draw a foul, but we don't get the same calls on the other end.

I know it's cheap complaining about this when we're up 20, but

Points in the paint: 44 Pels, 40 Wolves

FTAs: 15 Pels, 24 Wolves

Make it make sense
    Basketball.

Leads down to 14 with only 2 minutes left.

Why do I have a horrible feeling about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Leads down to 14 with only 2 minutes left.

Why do I have a horrible feeling about this?
    I mean, I know why, it's because we have literally no scorers on the court right now so the odds of us being heavily outscored are very real, but still, why is Green running this lineup?

I get empty the bench but, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I know why, it's because we have literally no scorers on the court right now so the odds of us being heavily outscored are very real, but still, why is Green running this lineup?

I get empty the bench but, come on.
    And we come out of the timeout with the same lineup, they immediately score again

I know it's petty complaining about this, given that we're still going to win anyway at this point, but just some really bad decisions from Green at the end there for no reason.

When they play defense it looks like this. When they don't...it don't.

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE!!!

Okay so, like 44 minutes of really good basketball and we won.

We are 4-1 in our last 5, which is huge considering we're in a tough patch of the schedule right now. Winning on the road, also, huge boon.

Pelicans have gone 11-5 since Dec 1st. Currently 3-0 in 2024.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    That was an impressive win.

As of right this second, Pels are the 5th seed. On pace to win 49 games.

Rest of the night, we want:

- Clippers loss (unlikely, currently up 17)
    - Dallas loss (unlikely, currently up 29)
    - Utah loss (possible, but they're playing Detroit so probably not)
    - Lakers loss (currently down 20-9, but it's only the first quarter; still, Miami are a good team so possible)
    - Sacramento loss (still in 1st quarter, but they're playing Orlando so possible)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    We've had most of the roster healthy for a while and the team is starting to get some chemistry going

Basketball Guru
    good win on a back to back...

day one i said, im waiting til January when the team is healthy and watch them go on a big run and it looks like its about to happen.....i thought a small trade would happen this month but it may not..........

i still believe zion will be in the MVP talks...

team look like they are having fun again just like they were during that playoffs run...

Add it to the list

Knew the Wolves were good at home, didn't realise how good - they were 14-1 at home before tonight.

Looks like Zion is answering his critics. Love them or hate them these critics are a necessary evil unfortunately. Hope it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second of a back to back, without Trey, and against a top team at their home; and yet the Pelicans were beating them by over 20 points. That was a great performance.

The Franchise
    It's all about match-ups, the Pels just match-up well against the Timberwolves. On the opposit end of the spectrum they do not match-up well againts teams like the Grizzlies.
    Last edited by dvdman; 01-04-2024 at 08:27 PM.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Pellie Pel Pels!

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    That was the most complete and impressive game we have played. The excellent defense and deep bench have been crucial to our improvement. We have to maintain this level of play

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Looks like Zion is answering his critics. Love them or hate them these critics are a necessary evil unfortunately. Hope it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, I think the widespread criticism of Zion's effort and/or conditioning was warranted and likely motivated him to step up his game up.

Four things. Nance has made a huge difference. Changes the way we are allowed to play. I thought he was off to the glue factory but gladly he is back. We also established 3 point shooting early. When Herb shoots the 3 ball well we win. Goes to show how important spacing is in todays game. Yet again, we established a lead and stayed consistent for the most part. Didn’t have a quarter below 25 points. We should aim to try and take care of teams earlier and put the games to bed before they gain any confidence. That is how we win. Finally, the rebounding and defense needs to come from Zion and BI. Not the bench. We shouldn’t try to overcompensate with bad lineups just to get stops. Now that Lance has come back Zion and BI look miles better. They are allowed to gamble more and it pays off. I’m not sure what ungodly amount Nance is looking for in the offseason, but we will really need to find a viable replacement soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdman View Post
    It's all about match-ups, the Pels just match-up well against the Timberwolves. On the opposit end of the spectrum they do not mat-up well againts teams like the Grizzlies.
    It's 100 percent because of Ja. Our usual defensive stoppers Herb and Dyson dont bother him at all and Willie won't adjust the scheme to double team.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Four things. Nance has made a huge difference. Changes the way we are allowed to play. I thought he was off to the glue factory but gladly he is back. We also established 3 point shooting early. When Herb shoots the 3 ball well we win. Goes to show how important spacing is in todays game. Yet again, we established a lead and stayed consistent for the most part. Didn’t have a quarter below 25 points. We should aim to try and take care of teams earlier and put the games to bed before they gain any confidence. That is how we win. Finally, the rebounding and defense needs to come from Zion and BI. Not the bench. We shouldn’t try to overcompensate with bad lineups just to get stops. Now that Lance has come back Zion and BI look miles better. They are allowed to gamble more and it pays off. I’m not sure what ungodly amount Nance is looking for in the offseason, but we will really need to find a viable replacement soon.
    Yeah Nance has been a huge difference especially against a team like that with 2 bigs. So good to see him return to form. Defensively Zion has to gamble (as does Jose) but BI looks to me like just a fundamentally sound defender. He stays in front of guys when they try to drive, doesn't leave his feet and then used his crazy wingspan to smother and alter shots. I think he is a legitimately good defender and underrated on that side of the ball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m not sure what ungodly amount Nance is looking for in the offseason, but we will really need to find a viable replacement soon.
    He's not a free agent until 2025.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orle...ance-jr-17855/

Great game, can’t really complain about any Pels in this one, even the coach. BI had an incredibly complete game where he was good in almost every facet. Zion played at a really high level and it’s good to see that his energy didn’t dip on a back to back. And it seems when Herb is hitting his threes it’s pretty much a guaranteed win for us.

Thread Information