Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: January 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Brooklyn Nets - 19-14

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Man the Pels are playing fast! I love how they are pushing the ball up the court, BI especially

Anybody know what shoes CJ is wearing?

Guys. I do have a serious question.

Why are we the worst team in the NBA when it comes to starting in the first 6 minutes of the second half?

up 30 to almost being up 20 now

Ain't no lead is safe with this team lol

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Guys. I do have a serious question.

Why are we the worst team in the NBA when it comes to starting in the first 6 minutes of the second half?
    We start one of the worst starting lineups in the NBA, and they also start the second half.

Nothing to do with the players in specific, just a combination that doesn't help anyone be their best selves and makes things difficult for everyone. There's only one true spacer on the lineup. That's why people (Me, for example) have been talking about starting Trey over Herb. Need the shooting.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We start one of the worst starting lineups in the NBA, and they also start the second half.

Nothing to do with the players in specific, just a combination that doesn't help anyone be their best selves and makes things difficult for everyone. There's only one true spacer on the lineup. That's why people (Me, for example) have been talking about starting Trey over Herb. Need the shooting.
    You would think, as a coach, this would be figured out by now.

J Hawkins has so much potential but looks so so lost or just rush the shot

Up 27 going into the 4th.

Just gotta play it even the rest of the way, guys. Keep it cool. Keep the foot on the gas.

I would sit the starters for the remainder of game, if possible. Maybe give Herb some floor time...but that's all.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-02-2024 at 08:41 PM.

Dyson looking more confident on both sides of the floor

For people questioning why we have been playing Naji instead of Hawkins... Naji has that dawg in him defensively and he is shooting better from 3 than Hawkins so far this season

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Dyson looking more confident on both sides of the floor
    He's still only 20 years old; he got plenty time to grow his game.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    This is nice. If we can do anything close to this tomorrow against a good team I will be impressed.

For people questioning why we have been playing Naji instead of Hawkins... Naji has that dawg in him defensively and he is shooting better from 3 than Hawkins so far this season
    Naji also takes almost exclusively catch and shoot corner 3s. It's a different skillset that has a different effect on a defense from Hawkin's movement shooting, and which also lends itself to higher percentages on paper that can mislead the in-game impact. When people say they want Hawkins to play, they're saying they want that skillset.

And it makes sense to some degree. Yes, Naji is the better player today, but he's also an expiring who we are very probably not going to keep - playing Hawkins is an investment in the future.

Kira boxed out but forgot to grab the rebound and then bricked a couple open shots.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I forgot Kira was on the roster.

Naji also takes almost exclusively catch and shoot corner 3s. It's a different skillset that has a different effect on a defense from Hawkin's movement shooting, and which also lends itself to higher percentages on paper that can mislead the in-game impact. When people say they want Hawkins to play, they're saying they want that skillset.

And it makes sense to some degree. Yes, Naji is the better player today, but he's also an expiring who we are very probably not going to keep - playing Hawkins is an investment in the future.
    Putting the best product on the court for each game should be the priority, we dont need to sacrifice the present moment for the sake of developing Hawkins. He can develop in practice, garbage time, D league, and filling in when there are injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I forgot Kira was on the roster.
    He won't be next season, don't worry about it.

Dyson hit a little spin move ok! and a nice pocket pass on the drive

Putting the best product on the court for each game should be the priority, we dont need to sacrifice the present moment for the sake of developing Hawkins. He can develop in practice, garbage time, D league, and filling in when there are injuries.
    If we cared exclusively about putting the best product on the court, we wouldn't start one of the worst rated starting 5s in the league so obstinately. We sacrifice the present moment regularly for much less than development.

In any case, that's acting like development and winning are mutually exclusive; to this day, some of the best lineups we've played this season have featured Hawkins.

Pels win by 27 mere days after beating the Lakers by 20.

Our record since @WhyHornetsWhy predicted we were about to go 0-10 is 3-1.

If we cared exclusively about putting the best product on the court, we wouldn't start one of the worst rated starting 5s in the league so obstinately. We sacrifice the present moment regularly for much less than development.

In any case, that's acting like development and winning are mutually exclusive; to this day, some of the best lineups we've played this season have featured Hawkins.
    You know that doesnt make any sense right? We arent sacrificing the present moment to develop any of those guys in the starting 5. They are starting because they are thought to be the best 5 guys we can put on the floor. They have underachieved as a unit, which is probably why Willie has started experimenting with Trey in place of Herb to close games, but unfortunately we lost 3 straight games in he final 3 minutes with that lineup on the floor. Our core of Zion, BI, and CJ have yet to prove that they mesh well together. Its looked more like the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

In any case, if Trey, Herb, Zion, Naji, Dyson are all healthy, Hawkins should not see the floor. Especially if you want to see Trey playing +30 minutes a game.

I like it. Curb stomp them and don’t even make it interesting. Onto the next.

Really love the 3’s. We need them and it’s important to our inside out game. Nance has been very very appreciated. Glad we can go back to small ball 5 and give teams new problems. This version of him is very important. And when BI is making 3’s in addition to his improved defense and those unstoppable octopus layups he does around the defender, he is a top 10 player. I really like the look of him lately.

You know that doesnt make any sense right? We arent sacrificing the present moment to develop any of those guys in the starting 5. They are starting because they are thought to be the best 5 guys we can put on the floor. They have underachieved as a unit, which is probably why Willie has started experimenting with Trey in place of Herb to close games, but unfortunately we lost 3 straight games in he final 3 minutes with that lineup on the floor. Our core of Zion, BI, and CJ have yet to prove that they mesh well together. Its looked more like the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

In any case, if Trey, Herb, Zion, Naji, Dyson are all healthy, Hawkins should not see the floor. Especially if you want to see Trey playing +30 minutes a game.
    This is the type of thinking that gets a coach fired. You play the player when the situation calls for it. You do not play a player based on some rigid philosophy or seniority. Hawkins brings a different skillset than all of those players including Trey.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I like it. Curb stomp them and don’t even make it interesting. Onto the next.

Really love the 3’s. We need them and it’s important to our inside out game. Nance has been very very appreciated. Glad we can go back to small ball 5 and give teams new problems. This version of him is very important. And when BI is making 3’s in addition to his improved defense and those unstoppable octopus layups he does around the defender, he is a top 10 player. I really like the look of him lately.
    Yah man, Nance has returned to form. I was worried he might be washed as he had looked like he lost a step, but the layoff fixed him right up. And BI seems to be playing the best basketball of his career, he has hit his prime. Not just on offense but on defense and the boards as well.

Thread Information