Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Trade Season/Signings !

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    The problem with Dejounte is that he's basically CJ if you look at stats, and while his defense years ago was very good, he's been terrible the last couple years. So, he is five years younger and has slightly better contract extension #s, but I don't see that being "the" move. I kind of like the idea of Trae Young though, even though his defense is also terrible.
    Trae is not realistic. Murray appears to be someone who can be acquired as a relative bargain right now. I do not see any comparisons to CJ. He is a bigger guard with decent handles who can facilitate. He is a much better defender than CJ. CJ is a much better shooter and plays better off the ball. Murray is also on a reasonable contract for several years.

Young/Murray has flopped as a backcourt to the point that the Hawks may unload Murray after trading so much to get him...and we'd want to replicate that flop here? That seems...pointless. Also, ATL is not trading Young.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Trae is not realistic. Murray appears to be someone who can be acquired as a relative bargain right now. I do not see any comparisons to CJ. He is a bigger guard with decent handles who can facilitate. He is a much better defender than CJ. CJ is a much better shooter and plays better off the ball. Murray is also on a reasonable contract for several years.
    CJ is a terrible defender, that much I can agree. Murray's defensive rating has been even worse though since his stint with Atlanta. They're not super similar, but statistically speaking they are very similar in many regards.

The argument for Trae is his energy, scoring and very high assist #s.
    The argument for Trae is that the Pelicans are seemingly able to manage a decent defensive team every year regardless of who is available, even when many of the players who get high minutes are either outright awful defenders individually (CJ, Hawkins) or at least very hit or miss (Zion, BI, JV). Therefore if you think you can trust the team defense to be good enough, Trae guarantees us something we desperately need: someone who will actually be given the ball and make plays, and therefore buoy or consistently drowning offense.

The problem is that Trae is reportedly something of an irritant to other players because he's such a ball-hog that it forces everyone else into a secondary, or tertiary role. Is Trae Young extremely good? Yes. Is he so good that I would be happy essentially forfeiting the possibility of anyone else being better? Not really.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Young/Murray has flopped as a backcourt to the point that the Hawks may unload Murray after trading so much to get him...and we'd want to replicate that flop here? That seems...pointless. Also, ATL is not trading Young.
    So Murray was a flop? Hawks have not been very good for a while and had to unload Collins and Huerter for cap reasons. Murray is still a good player and could likely be had for a fraction of what the Hawks paid for him. Now, if he is a locker room issue or a malcontent, I would not want him at any cost.

I?d take D Murray for B Ingram and not having to give him a max contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I?d take D Murray for B Ingram and not having to give him a max contract.
    BI is worth more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    BI is worth more than that.
    To who? He is an inconsistent mid range scorer that is about to want a max contract. Nobody is emptying the kitchen sink for him. How about BI and JV for Murray and Capella?

PG:Murray/Daniels/Alvarado
    SG: McCullum/Hawkins
    SF: Jones/Murphy
    PF: Zion/Marshall
    C: Capela/Nance

It’s been a while since I have posted here so firstly I wanna say Hello to all the OGs here!!
    Wether you love me or hate me I have missed all of you..
    I’ll introduce myself to those who don’t know me..
    To be short and sweet I talk like I know it all ”sometimes” and that’s just me being humble because I do know it all!!
    Anyways Howdy Fellas!!

After watching us play the Raptors I was reminded of Chris Boucher who is someone I have always liked and think he would be a solid fit off our bench backing up Zion at PF and even able to fill in at Center often despite his slender frame..
    Now by no means is he the answer but we need a backup PF for Zion and Boucher would fill that need..
    The Raptors are barely using him this season and when he gets minutes the guy produces..
    His skill set would be a good fit in our system as well for whatever minutes we find for him..
    I don’t know how much he would play here because imo Murphy and Hawkins need as many minutes as we can get them which entails Murphy playing a lot at PF..
    On nights Zion is out, matchup purposes, or some minutes at Center imo Boucher would be a solid fit here!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-08-2024 at 04:29 PM.

A trade swap for Murray and CJ would take this team to a new level and fit right in with the ages of our team as CJ is on the decline and Murray is entering his prime..
    In this trade both teams would benefit from this deal as Murray is more of a PG who is being used as a SG next to
    Trae and CJ is a SG playing PG here out of necessity..
    Murray is much better at running the show and would be the perfect compliment to guys like BI and Zion who can handle the duties some as well which is why CJ is able to fit..
    The problem with CJ is sometimes we need someone who can be a true PG and he is just not that guy while Murray is capable of those duties and due to who we have surrounding him he won’t be asked to solely set everyone up..
    In ATL Trae has the ball all game and rightfully so but Murray has to play off of him all game which just isn’t his the style or maximizing the best of his abilities..
    Then we get to defense where the guy was a menace and if you think he just lost that ability at age 27 you need to stop relying just off analytics when analyzing a player..
    Murray is in the conversation as the best 2 way PG in the NBA and having him next to Herb would be one hell of a duo where not only would he benefit playing next to Herb because defense is contagious but PG is where he has all of his physical advantages being a huge factor..

I could see Murrray averaging 21ppg/9apg/7rpg/2spg as an all NBA caliber defender and surrounded by the most talent he’s ever had while a guy like him is built for the playoffs..
    I love the roster and potential lineups with Murray..
    Maybe we can ship Jonas our with some added teams to the trade and add center Onyeka Okongwu?!

Murray/Dyson/Jose/Hawkins
    Herb/Hawkins/Trey/Dyson
    BI/Trey/Hawkins
    Zion/Trey / ?Boucher?
    ?Jonas?/Nance / ?Okongwu?
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-08-2024 at 04:56 PM.

BI is not getting traded. He is the Pelicans. Utter folly.

Hall of Famer
    NBACentral
    @TheDunkCentral

The New Orleans Pelicans are a sleeper team for Dejounte Murray, per @ChrisBHaynes

Mills and Matthews are to make the salaries match more. They are both expiring and/or could be waived.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Pelican View Post
    BI is not getting traded. He is the Pelicans. Utter folly.
    Sadly, I agree that Griff seems to see it this way. I'm pretty sure that, barring some stupid trade that nobody would ever make, BI is staying a Pelican and he is getting that $50m+ a year contract.

That contract might well be an albatross rather than a Pelican, but I think it's coming either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    NBACentral
    @TheDunkCentral

The New Orleans Pelicans are a sleeper team for Dejounte Murray, per @ChrisBHaynes
    Over/under on the odds that Chris Haynes reads pelsreport?

Das a bad trade.

How about

CJ McCullum
    JV
    Dyson Daniels
    Laker 1st

For

Murray
    Capela
    Patty Mills
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-07-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Das a bad trade.
    explain

Herb/Nance/Okungwu/Matković
    Zion/Nance/Okungwu/Matković/Robinson-Earl/Liddell
    BI/Ryan/Herb
    CJ/Hawkins/Jose/Seabron
    Murray/Hawkins/Jose
    Last edited by donato; 02-07-2024 at 04:53 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    CJ is not only the veteran leader on an immature team, he's also playing very very good basketball. It's not adivisible to make that trade.

If you can move CJ and that big contract, I’d be all for it.

explain

Herb/Nance/Okungwu/Matković
    Zion/Nance/Okungwu/Matković/Robinson-Earl/Liddell
    BI/Ryan/Herb
    CJ/Hawkins/Jose/Seabron
    Murray/Hawkins/Jose
    You're trading Trey - who is currently in a slump but otherwise shows all the signs of growing into an all-star level wing scorer and one of the league's best shooters - along with top-100 player in JV, and our second best defender (Dyson), in order to get non-needle mover Dejounte Murray whose defense has fallen off a cliff since going to Atlanta and Okongwu, who I like but who I do not think is currently on JV's level as a player and makes our rebounding issues worse as a downgrade to JV. And we'd be the ones giving up a first, even if it's protected.

We get smaller, despite rebounding being one of our only consistent issues, and we lose both defense and shooting somehow.

Also, Okongwu's due for his extension off the rookie deal, so you're going to have to pay him soon. Yes, we have to pay Trey too, but who would I rather pay? Trey seems the obvious answer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You're trading Trey - who is currently in a slump but otherwise shows all the signs of growing into an all-star level wing scorer and one of the league's best shooters - along with top-100 player in JV, and our second best defender (Dyson), in order to get non-needle mover Dejounte Murray whose defense has fallen off a cliff since going to Atlanta and Okongwu, who I like but who I do not think is currently on JV's level as a player and makes our rebounding issues worse as a downgrade to JV. And we'd be the ones giving up a first, even if it's protected.

We get smaller, despite rebounding being one of our only consistent issues, and we lose both defense and shooting somehow.

Also, Okongwu's due for his extension off the rookie deal, so you're going to have to pay him soon. Yes, we have to pay Trey too, but who would I rather pay? Trey seems the obvious answer to me.
    Murray is cost controlled. We may not be able to afford Jonas. You’re looking at what, $25m a year on Trey hoping he can do something else but shoot. Okungwu already signed the extension. He’s signed through 2028 for an average of 15.5m/yr.

I do agree Murray’s defense has fallen off a cliff and I can only assume we think we can improve that. Rebounding would be a concern, agree there.

This man said Brandon is inconsistent from mid range some statements just disqualify you to speak on certain subjects

Thread Information