Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: December 26th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies - 17-13

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    But guess what? Hundreds are not cutting it. So you have todo something it's cost us TOOO many games
    I'm sorry, not a single coach in any league in the world is going to tell players to stop doing their actual practice so they can shoot 4000 FTs a day.

We'd be the first team in NBA history to shoot 95% from the stripe and 20% from everywhere else.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Willie, Willie, Willie. Let me suggest this lineup in crunch. Either Zion or BI, whoever has it going. Both if you can get away without playing Jonas. Herb. The guy might be the only Pelican player whose play improves in the fourth quarter. Trey, just because we need a spot up shooter out there. And Dyson if the other team has a guard that they depend on for offense. In the alternative I’d try Naji. Because unlike CJ, he’s not a **********.
    ''Willie, let me suggest this lineup:

Herb and Dyson, plus one shooter''

He's in. He's all in. That's basically his go-to lineup half the time anyway.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    CJ is trash. I don’t know why he’s still in at the end of games, and I don’t know how people can seriously defend the decision to keep him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm sorry, not a single coach in any league in the world is going to tell players to stop doing their actual practice so they can shoot 4000 FTs a day.

We'd be the first team in NBA history to shoot 95% from the stripe and 20% from everywhere else.
    4000 is ridiculous. but MUCH MUCH more emphasis MUST be put on FTs , even if it means more time spent on them. There OWN time

i don't overreact to the result. but i will say the body language from the sidelines and the player coach interactions in the 4th were terrible. willie and company look confused far too often and it doesn't appear like the players (zion especially) really listen to them.

After every game, someone says this.

They all practice FT. Hundreds of them, every day.

Some players are just not going to hit them that well, and the players who missed today (CJ, for example, 1-3) are good FT shooters in general.

There are far bigger problems on this team than FTs. Yes it would be nice if we never missed any but it's not the key issue this team needs to address.
    I didn't say hundreds, I said THOUSANDS. TENS of thousands. Until just by muscle memory alone the ball goes in. You say there are bigger problems on this team than FTs. But we'd be 21-10 and the 3rd seed if we just made a normal amount of FTs. We're 31 games in and we've already lost FOUR games directly due to poor FT shooting. Players ENJOY practicing jumpshots and threes. They don't DESERVE to enjoy practice.

Why not? They can practice the other stuff AFTER they shoot their 5000 FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I didn't say hundreds, I said THOUSANDS. TENS of thousands. Until just by muscle memory alone the ball goes in. You say there are bigger problems on this team than FTs. But we'd be 21-10 and the 3rd seed if we just made a normal amount of FTs. We're 31 games in and we've already lost FOUR games directly due to poor FT shooting. Players ENJOY practicing jumpshots and threes. They don't DESERVE to enjoy practice.
    You can say it was directly due to FTs if you want, but you can point to a hundred things.

Sure, we lost this game due to FTs.

Or, did we lose it because we shot 32% from 3? After all, one more made 3 would've been a win. Wouldn't have even gone to OT. Maybe everyone should just shoot THOUSANDS of 3s in practice and never do anything else?

Or was it because we got outrebounded 50 to 46? One more board might have cost them a point. Maybe we should just do solely boxing out next practice.

Turns out that excellence is a lot of small things done well, and this team does none of them well. Focusing on one to the exclusion of all the other paths to success is called missing the forest for the trees.

There is a disconnect. That much is clear. You have to have shooting. Getting into the paint and diversifying your game is important. But we just got Trey freakin Murphy back and we aren’t taking any advantage of him to space the floor. We have Jordan Hawkins who was a very promising young shooter with great movement off the ball that has been completely frozen out. There is something up.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    PSST!! Guys!!! How did we lose to....

Memphis...Houston...Memphis???

They both play...

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE!!!!

....and don't throw away points at the free throw line.

There's more, but I don't want to talk about the elephant in the room tonight.
    That's just RIDICULOUS , Why don't you tell me where Hou. and Mem. are ranked defensively?. We shot for CRAP tonight it was not their defense. You think it's great defense when a guy missed a wide open shot or blows a layup when it's NOT SMH. We lost tonight because we didn't have what you need SHOOTING SHOOTING SHOOTING from the field AND at the FT line SMH

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Fellas we have the hands down worst coach in the league. Nobody even close to it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I like CJ and think he doesnt get the credit he deserves, but even I dont like him in at the end of games. If we can go small with Herb at the 5, that gives us room to play BI, Z, Trey, and 1 other guy... I dont know who that would be tho. Dyson? Naji?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    PSST!! Guys!!! How did we lose to....

Memphis...Houston...Memphis???

They both play...

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE!!!!

....and don't throw away points at the free throw line.

There's more, but I don't want to talk about the elephant in the room tonight.
    Memphis shot 43% from the field, 24% from 3. We PLAYED DEFENSE. We lost it on the one thing you CANT play defense on, free throws.

It really should be

FREE THROWS! - FREE THROWS! - FREE THROWS!

because thats whats costing us games.

Almost 30% of our losses are DIRECTLY the result of poor FT Shooting.

It’s all about execution in close games. Execution lacks badly which is directly attributable to the Head Coach. He’s still learning in the job. This team really needs an experienced coach not an intern.

If only Zion had more than one offensive move, hard drive to his left. In crunch time guys just overplay that and we get turnovers and charges.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    There is a disconnect. That much is clear. You have to have shooting. Getting into the paint and diversifying your game is important. But we just got Trey freakin Murphy back and we aren’t taking any advantage of him to space the floor. We have Jordan Hawkins who was a very promising young shooter with great movement off the ball that has been completely frozen out. There is something up.
    Trey got all of TWO shot attempts in the second half, and one of those was that corner three he airballed late in the game.

Just noticed in the Box Score that Memphis registered SEVENTEEN blocks tonight, including 5 by Xavier Tillman and 3 by Vince Williams Jr. That's ridiculous.

The only thing that's not on WG is the poor FT shooting and STILL there is something he can do about it. Make them focus MORE on it

Hall of Famer
    Willie trending on twitter

Media might be taking notice now

Memphis shot 43% from the field, 24% from 3. We PLAYED DEFENSE. We lost it on the one thing you CANT play defense on, free throws.

It really should be

FREE THROWS! - FREE THROWS! - FREE THROWS!

because thats whats costing us games.

Almost 30% of our losses are DIRECTLY the result of poor FT Shooting.
    We did. We lose because we keep other teams in the ballpark. Quantify it however you want, we lost because we keep teams close.

Trey got all of TWO shot attempts in the second half, and one of those was that corner three he airballed late in the game.
    It’s hard to stay invested when you aren’t involved all game. Something is up.

What the heck was Jonas doing on the last play of regulation? The only shot Grizzlies could get was a lob to the basket. As the play starts, Jonas takes a step out toward the FT line letting Jackson go right by him to the rim. Actually would have caught the lob and dunked had Jonas not fouled him as he tried to catch back up. The only play Memphis had time for was a lob, didn’t Willie prepare Jonas for that. Had Jonas just used his feet and kept Jackson from running free down the lane Pels win. As a matter of fact, if the Pels have a quicker big man with better ups than Jonas, he should have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It?s hard to stay invested when you aren?t involved all game. Something is up.
    Whats up is Trey needs to get better at everything besides 3 point shooting. Off ball movement, handles, skill moves to create space for his shot. its not like Willie is scheming up great looks for every one else, the other guys just manage to create shots

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxpel View Post
    What the heck was Jonas doing on the last play of regulation? The only shot Grizzlies could get was a lob to the basket. As the play starts, Jonas takes a step out toward the FT line letting Jackson go right by him to the rim. Actually would have caught the lob and dunked had Jonas not fouled him as he tried to catch back up. The only play Memphis had time for was a lob, didn’t Willie prepare Jonas for that. Had Jonas just used his feet and kept Jackson from running free down the lane Pels win. As a matter of fact, if the Pels have a quicker big man with better ups than Jonas, he should have been in.
    Jonas played poorly towards the end of the game in a few situations. I wonder if he was getting in his head to much from all the calls that he's been getting lately

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxpel View Post
    If only Zion had more than one offensive move, hard drive to his left. In crunch time guys just overplay that and we get turnovers and charges.
    They were able to get stops on several of his driving attempts this game

Thread Information