Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: December 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Houston Rockets - 17-12

Just like the Saints the biggest problem with this team is COACHING COACHING COACHING

Fire WG

Trade Z or BI or CJ. One of them has to go.

Get a Rim protector.

Get a true PG.

Move Herb to the second team.

J Hawk needs more minutes.

That's what needs to happen this off-season

~~~

Trade for CP3 + Allen in season

Roster:
    I'd like to see a CP3/CJ/Z/BI/Jarrett Allen.

Then, offseason: Trade one of those 3 (CJ/Z/BI), and slide in Trey.
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 12-23-2023 at 08:45 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    And this is the result we get. The ball doesn't move when he's on the court the offense becomes stagnant and it throws everybody else off rhythm.
    Nah. You can knock Zion for a lot of things but not what he does with the ball in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I'm going to say it again the Rockets are a good team, under the radar right now.

With our 4 beat offensive players closing out the game we couldn't score at all. The Rockets (led by Brooks) stepped up intensity on defense in the final minutes and we just didn't know what to do offensively.
    We ran absolutely nothing to open things up. Stopped doing the stacked PnR we had run earlier to score. Stopped doing the Trey screening actions. Even after timeouts, Willie Green was like, whatever just let 'em play.

It was less Rockets stepping up the intensity and more like the Pelicans collapsing. Which will continue happening as long as we have a coach that doesn't care about maximising the team's skillsets.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The funniest thing to me is that against Memphis, we ran nothing for Trey and he was barely involved in it, and he didn't close the game despite us needing shooting on the floor.

Willie Green comes out and says that he knows he messed up. Next game, Trey gets heavy minutes, plays a lot with the starters, goes off from 3 and we win.

One game later, Willie Green reverts to playing Trey mostly with backups and refusing to draw up plays for him.

He's got a sieve for a head. Things just pour out.
    He is one of the worst coaches I have ever seen.

Close game brings coaching to the forefront. Pels have no coach nor strategy late. Pels need an experienced coach to give these guy confidence in close games

This is another wasted season because we don’t have someone that can get all this talent in the right places.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The funniest thing to me is that against Memphis, we ran nothing for Trey and he was barely involved in it, and he didn't close the game despite us needing shooting on the floor.

Willie Green comes out and says that he knows he messed up. Next game, Trey gets heavy minutes, plays a lot with the starters, goes off from 3 and we win.

One game later, Willie Green reverts to playing Trey mostly with backups and refusing to draw up plays for him.

He's got a sieve for a head. Things just pour out.
    Murphy got 34 min and was on the floor in crunch time to close out. They just didn't have any plays drawn up towards the end of the game, at all for anyone it seemed like. CJ, BI, and Z all pretty much score on their own and not because of plays drawn up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxpel View Post
    Close game brings coaching to the forefront. Pels have no coach nor strategy late. Pels need an experienced coach to give these guy confidence in close games
    He gives them nothing but sadness. The look defeated everytime someone gets physical with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Murphy got 34 min and was on the floor in crunch time to close out. They just didn't have any plays drawn up towards the end of the game, at all for anyone it seemed like.
    He played 34 minutes - 16 of them were consecutive in the first half, and since he comes off the bench, most of those first half minutes were played with Jose and Naji on the court. This is what I mean by mostly with backups.

He closed, which is good, but as you also point out - nothing was run for him. My complaint isn't just ''play Trey'' in a vacuum. It's ''play Trey and use him''. Green has an allergy to it.

If you can’t win with this roster, you aren’t cut out for any level of coaching.

I still think this team is gonna win like, 43-45 games this year, probably make it to the playoffs, just off talent alone.

But the ceiling is hard-capped for this team for a number of reasons, and Willie Green is probably the biggest one. Can't imagine us actually winning a PO series with him as coach.

The Franchise
    This team reminds me so much of the Saints.
    Lots of talent but no coaching whatsoever.
    Willie Green has not gotten better as a HC.

I still think this team is gonna win like, 43-45 games this year, probably make it to the playoffs, just off talent alone.

But the ceiling is hard-capped for this team for a number of reasons, and Willie Green is probably the biggest one. Can't imagine us actually winning a PO series with him as coach.
    You can make Green the scapegoat if you want, but some players are uncoachable.

Green isn’t a scapegoat, he’s a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It's a called a Point Guard....a conductor...someone who drives the car and doesn't crash it. Someone with a 'refuse to lose' mentality who isn't afraid to get in an A-List Star's face when need be to make it real.

Willie Green is a mess, but he isn't the reason the players play with no heart. There's no sense of urgency....no sense of pride.

What we see right now won't be what we see next year. One or more of the so-called Big Three will not be here next year.
    Yeah I get that, but this guy never gets them rowdy. They play the way his personality is.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You can make Green the scapegoat if you want, but some players are uncoachable.
    And talent is wasted with poor coaching. There are very few players that are uncoachable, it just takes the right coach and we do not have the right one

This was the reason i was kinda hesitant with the wait till we are healthy, because Willie doesn't know what to do when he is given more options. It was a good story for Willie at the start of his tenure but he has to go for this team to get to the next level.

TRADE FOR CP3.

It will change the entire offense.

We manage to look less cohesive as a unit since Trey came in. Idk how the hell that happened, but it did. I think part of it is we don’t have a Matt Ryan or a Jordan Hawkins to move off the ball. We need that guy to provide that spark off the ball to free things up. A Reddick if you will. Some of these lineups are actually braindead. There is a time and a place for a shutdown unit. You do not pair Zion with non spacers. You do not have all of your players running into the same space and trying to preoccupy the same zone. Willie needs to wise up or get the axe. He isn’t stupid. He is just stubborn. Stubborn like he was with Jonas last year. He had the excuses early in the season. Now that he has everyone back, there is no excuse to consistently lose to bad and middle of the road teams.

Jesus Christ I came home from a Christmas Party to find out Willie choked another one. At least Alvin and Stan would coo for the kill shot. Willie just lets teams linger back .

As far as Willie getting fired. Sounds like she is done with the pink slips for a while. Dennis not getting fired either.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    As far as Willie getting fired. Sounds like she is done with the pink slips for a while. Dennis not getting fired either.
    Gayle will do whatever Loomis and Griff want. They say they go, they go

All-Star
    thoughts on Brogdon? I think he might cost a future first round draft pick but I think we could use his cool head and craftiness.

Sorry, this one's on our 3 "All Stars" who disappeared in the final 4 minutes, as well as missing at least 7 free throws between them over the game. Ingram had multiple passive possessions with long-range misses, while Zion and CK turned it over without getting up a shot. Weak.

Refs abused Jonas, but he wasn't doing anything anyway. Otherwise they were reasonably evenhanded. Coach had the right players in at the end, but they could not execute. Not Willie's fault, other than the lack of respect given to him and the team by the refs. Since that seems more team based than coach based over the years, I don't see any changes in ref bias helping us out in the future. Therefore, I don't see any upside to swapping coaches and a big potential downside to doing so.

We need to start figuring out how to get away with fouling like other teams do to us. I think it starts by taking advantage of our deep roster and allowing guys to foul out by preventing the opponent from moving so easily through and around our defense. If we are going to give up 30 free throws a night anyway, let's make the count like Memphis, Utah, Boston and now Houston are doing. Grab, shove, grind, body, etc. for 48 minutes and make them give the other team 40 free throws. Just stop the easy cuts and catches.

Thread Information