Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: December 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Houston Rockets - 17-12

Pelicans December 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Houston Rockets - 17-12

Pelicans back at home now to begin a 5 game home stand to close out 2023.

Opponent tonight is the Houston Rockets. Rockets are 14-12, having lost 3 of their last 4 but generally being good over the last month. They are, on the other hand, on the second game of a back to back whereas we're well rested.

We lost to Houston early in the season back when it was expected that they would be a bottom dweller. Since then, the loss has aged about as well as a loss could - they've been good! Still, it was a loss, and that can't really go unanswered. The team should be looking to take back a win tonight and get themselves moving in the right direction. The good news is that the Pels are a good home team and the Rockets are an awful road team. Of their 12 losses, they got 10 of them on the road. They do not win outside of Houston.

Injury report: Zion and Zeller questionable, everyone else good to go.

Let's see if the team can take back that early season loss and begin the home-stand on a positive note.
    Basketball.

I really want this win. That loss still bothers me, one of many lost double digit leads.
    Clear difference between 2 teams is coaching. We are more talented/expirienced team, but Ime is miles ahead of Willie right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    I really want this win. That loss still bothers me, one of many lost double digit leads.
    Clear difference between 2 teams is coaching. We are more talented/expirienced team, but Ime is miles ahead of Willie right now.
    The storyline for this game is:

One team plays defense...the other, not so much.

The Rockets are currently rated the second best defense in the NBA (behind the Wolves and just ahead of the Celtics). Defense trumps offense everyday of the week. Add to that the effort factor that Udoka gets out of his guys compared the effort we typically give on the defensive end, and that 'talent/experience factor' you mention in your post isn't quite as wide as you imagine.

Coaches don't play games...players do.

DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE!!!

Zion's back. Zeller still out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Zion's back. Zeller still out.
    HHMMMM, I wonder if Houston will put 6'11'' Jabari Smith, Jr on him defensively? But, what might be more interesting is: will he guard 6'11'', Jabari Smith, Jr?

Should be interesting!!!

Getting ugly fast.

This team is desperately missing a true PG

And to the surprise of no-one, Green goes to a 1-shooter lineup and we cannot score.

I feel like this has been mentioned recently.

1 made basket in the last 4 minutes of play.

I hate NBA refs because they officiate players differently. Brooks gets to mug BI and nothing, we just tap a player and they call it. It should NOT matter WHO the players are , if it's a foul for one it should be a foul for ALL

Jose is alllll in Jabari's headspace right now.

Got him tilted.

Zion at the end of the first. 9/2/2 in 7 minutes on 100% shooting is not bad.

That first quarter took forever. Need to make more effort to get Trey involved in the offense. Everyone else is cold but I'm hoping they'll heat up - Trey isn't even getting shots to find out if he's cold or not.

Jonas hurt.

Let's guess how many weeks

Is there any other team that's more clumsy?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    That Zion vs Geeen matchup is not working for us on defense

Z is carrying us on offense tho

I can see why Pelicans tried hard to trade Jonas

Edit: He hears me

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post

Jonas has been one of the best players on the team this year. He's great. A couple of missed shots early and a handful of bad turnovers doesn't change that. He's a pros pro.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Z is carrying us on offense tho
    Kinda has to, everyone else is ice cold and we've run a handful of slightly offensively-dead lineups already.

Pels end the first half up 51-47

Zion has 18/4/3 on 92.2%TS.

No one else has more than 8 points.

If we can just come out with a bit more intensity in the second half and BI/CJ/Trey can see a few shots go in, this could really open up. Most of the team has been ultra cold tonight. Not even taking bad shots in most cases, just seems to be a lid on the hoop for a lot of these shots.

Fun fact - for the final 3 minutes of the half there, we ran the CJ/BI/Trey/Zion/JV lineup.

Outscored the Rockets 9-2 in those 3 minutes, went 3/4 from the floor and CJ got to the line twice.

Just something to keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post

We need a clown emoji like Saints report

Ingram barely has any shots up we should get him involved a little more

BI with a poster and hopefully that gets him going.

Why coach putting Robinson earl in instead of Zeller?

All-Star
    is Doc reid a guest commentator

Thread Information