Pelicans Report

Thread: Trade idea as proposed by Jake Madison

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

Trade Idea Trade idea as proposed by Jake Madison

He is thinking that KAT might well be available and this is the time to pursue him seriously (before his salary increases substantially and we can't match it)....CJ and pick (s) within reason. Keep Val for now and bring him off the bench with the second unit. This certainly caught my attention and thought I would throw it out there for discussion.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Just looking at skillsets on paper it seems like a no brainer but I'm not entirely sure. I think I probably would do it, but if you asked me again in a few hours my mind may have changed.

The defensive rebounding and the shooting at the 5 seems like it makes complete sense, and KAT is also a good passer at the position and he's younger than CJ.

But the contract legitimately is insane, and with BI's incoming 30% max you have to shudder at the thought of paying them a combined near-$100m a year salary.
    Basketball.

He just signed a four year extension averaging $55,000,000 per year starting next year.

You have to look beyond the nose on your face when you are talking about that kind of money.

--PLUS--

In 2020 be only played 35 games
    In 2021 he only played 50 games
    In 2023 he only played 29 games.

I think we already have one of them on the roster.

As much as I want to move on from CJ....I'm a hard pass on KAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just looking at skillsets on paper it seems like a no brainer but I'm not entirely sure. I think I probably would do it, but if you asked me again in a few hours my mind may have changed.

The defensive rebounding and the shooting at the 5 seems like it makes complete sense, and KAT is also a good passer at the position and he's younger than CJ.

But the contract legitimately is insane, and with BI's incoming 30% max you have to shudder at the thought of paying them a combined near-$100m a year salary.
    It sounds like Madison is trying to match up a center to go with Zion. And offensively, this seems like a good pairing. KAT is an outside threat, so he pulls the center away from the basket giving Zion an easier driving lane. And it gives another spot up shooter for Zion to pass the ball out to.

I’m just not sure about the defensive side. Can KAT give you the defensive rebounds you need if we lose Jonas? And how about defensively? Can KAT cover for Zion and get out and guard the perimeter? I always thought the book on him was that he was kind of soft.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    It sounds like Madison is trying to match up a center to go with Zion. And offensively, this seems like a good pairing. KAT is an outside threat, so he pulls the center away from the basket giving Zion an easier driving lane. And it gives another spot up shooter for Zion to pass the ball out to.

I’m just not sure about the defensive side. Can KAT give you the defensive rebounds you need if we lose Jonas? And how about defensively? Can KAT cover for Zion and get out and guard the perimeter? I always thought the book on him was that he was kind of soft.
    Well the trade outlined in the OP was centred around CJ, so he wouldn't necessarily be replacing Jonas in that specific formulation unless you then moved Jonas in a different deal.

KAT is a good defensive rebounder but not quite as good as JV (25% DREB over the last 5 years compared to JV's 32% in the same span), so nah he wouldn't be a 1-to-1 replacement in that same sense, but I feel like if you were moving CJ to get KAT you'd probably have JV wanting out as well so you'd be looking for other things in that trade.

He is considered kinda soft by most, so that is a downside.

Basically in a KAT/CJ trade, you're trading CJ's vet leadership and toughness at the guard positions in exchange for a better fit offensively at the 5, at the cost of contract issues later on.

You might be able to replace CJ's ballhandling in a JV trade, but that's another issue entirely.

This is why I'm not just ''do it now'' on the deal. I'm warm to it, I do think KAT is the perfect offensive fit, but that's not the only thing to consider.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    should have done this deal the day before yesterday!

Imagine frontcourt of Ingram/Zion/Towns.... we couldnt defend a high school team

I do think he is a good fit and a great player. But I do question whether we should just try to move for two good players that fill needs on moveable contracts as opposed to taking on another massive one. I guess it depends on how good you think Trey can be and whether he can take that next step to become that 3rd guy. Hell, with the way CJ has played so far this season he has been a good fit. Definitely fixed a lot of the issues he had last season and can hit the 3 ball at a high clip. We’ll know more when we see everyone fit.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I'm certainly more in favor after watching KAT last night. He has the mix of athleticism, size, and scoring that we're missing down low.

I'm not trying to dump JV.. he'd be great on the bench (and badly needed depth). CJ is balling right now but I like our young scorers particularly with Trey returning and Jordan playing so well.
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 11-19-2023 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I'm certainly more in favor after watching KAT last night. He has the mix of athleticism, size, and scoring that we're missing down low.

I'm not trying to dump JV.. he'd be great on the bench (and badly needed depth). CJ is balling right now but I like our young scorers particularly with Trey returning and Jordan playing so well.
    That would be three max contracts in the front court and not a lick of defense. You might like the occasional offensive highlights, but defense wins championships in any sport.

Thread Information