Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Summer League - July 7th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAL1947 View Post
    You are right... but it would also help if people tempered their expectations. Dyson is not a PG or a primary play-maker who can run an offense by himself.... so if people are expecting that, then they are bound to be disappointed... and that is possibly where some disconnect comes from. He is a really good defender first, then a secondary play-maker at SF. The more he is able to contribute on offense as he matures (shooting, getting to the rim, etc, all of which might make him a more prolific scorer), the more valuable he can become.
    By playmaker do you mean someone who sets teammates up via good passing and court vision? Because that is typically understood as what a PG does.

Ignoring potential trades, this team will take the next step when Dyson and Herb learn to shoot. I will leave it at that. We become more efficient and make the offensive game easier on ourselves, the better we will be defensively. I want to see Dice develop as a ball handler and playmaker but by god I hope we are a better shooting team this year. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's a structured player, in an unstructured environment. This is someone who is all about amplifying other people, and he's playing in a setting where there's basically no set offense and a bunch of people who - frankly - are just not anywhere near the NBA level.

He had 4 turnovers but at least two of those, from my memory, were fumbles by the person he was passing to more than anything - and he wasn't even the leading turnover machine of the team.

''He should have been dominating''- he led the team in scoring, he got to the line 8 times (showed far more aggression that last season in attacking the basket) and he was generating steals at will. He was dominating. He was clearly the best player on the floor for 3 quarters of the game.
    His defense was dominating, but I expected that. I expect to see growth on his playmaking for others in the SL and hope to see that. He still appears very tentative at creating for others. I would like to see him finish better at the rim as well.

Post all-star break, Herb shot 44% on 3s and 52% from the field. Has a 63% TS%. Not too worried about Herb.

I wish Dyson would release his floaters at the top of his jump.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Post all-star break, Herb shot 44% on 3s and 52% from the field. Has a 63% TS%. Not too worried about Herb.

I wish Dyson would release his floaters at the top of his jump.
    For the season he finished with 33.5% from 3 so the other end is that shows you how horrible he shot from October to February if he was hitting at a 44% clip for 2.5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    His defense was dominating, but I expected that. I expect to see growth on his playmaking for others in the SL and hope to see that. He still appears very tentative at creating for others. I would like to see him finish better at the rim as well.
    Hard to showcase elite playmaking when half your team mates are in the wrong place at any given moment, you're barely running any set plays, and when you do pass it, they miss the shot because they are terrible.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Hard to showcase elite playmaking when half your team mates are in the wrong place at any given moment, you're barely running any set plays, and when you do pass it, they miss the shot because they are terrible.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    For the season he finished with 33.5% from 3 so the other end is that shows you how horrible he shot from October to February if he was hitting at a 44% clip for 2.5 months.
    And we know he was in and out of the linueup early in the season with injuries. Then was missing either Zion, or more importantly, Ingram to help set up his looks for the other part of that time.

Plus we like to keep track of how players perform when the intensity rises. Hence why we keep track of post-all star break stats. I didn't have to break that out myself.

The point is, he's capable.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    That’s great and all but post all star stats aren’t the end all be all. He still shot horribly for most of the year and other people being out is a horrible excuse for poor individual performance.

Agree to an extent. However, some of his passes were just terrible, either behind or too far and too easy to get knocked away. I want to see better vision.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Agree to an extent. However, some of his passes were just terrible, either behind or too far and too easy to get knocked away. I want to see better vision.
    I'm not as concerned about his team-related skills in this arena. But, I am concerned about his individual skills (shooting, ball-handling, finishing, defense). Being proficient in one of four is a tad bit disappointing for a second year lottery pick. But, it's early...and he's extremely young.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-09-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm not as concerned about his team-related skills in this arena. But, I am concerned about his individual skills (shooting, ball-handling, finishing, defense). Being proficient in one of four is a tad bit disappointing for a second year lottery pick. But, it's early...and he's extremely young.
    Agreed, a lot of time for improvement, and the SL is not a great indicator.

Thread Information