Pelicans Report

Thread: Summer League - July 9th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Golden State Warriors

Pelicans Summer League - July 9th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Golden State Warriors

Basketball.

US Gold Cup then this game. A surprisingly fun Summer sports night.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Looks like the new generation of NBA stars are going to take "load management" to a new level. Second game of their careers and both Scoot Henderson and Amen Thompson get DNPs. lol

Since the Luxury Tax isn't assessed until the end of the year, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to write off KLJ.

Dyson Daniels a liability on offense esp in transition. You can tell he doesn’t want the ball and has no confidence in his shot. Who scouted this kid. The league is about shooting and he is bad,

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxpel View Post
    Dyson Daniels a liability on offense esp in transition. You can tell he doesn’t want the ball and has no confidence in his shot. Who scouted this kid. The league is about shooting and he is bad,
    In the words of Mac...

He's one of those players who won't be a player until his second contract (probably with a different team).
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-09-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Dyson is a three point shot away from being a very good starter with upside for more. Patience.

Both Scoot and Amen were injured in their last games. That is not “load management.”

Good display on how to effect the game when the shot isn't falling. Almost a triple-double for Dyson. Hawk with a big contested shot in the 4th and was 6-11 on his shots inside the 3 pt line.

EJ is strong. Seabron is made for g-league ball.

Seen about enough of Matkovic and Brooks. Time for some Liam next game.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I believe Robbins is still hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    In the words of Mac...

He's one of those players who won't be a player until his second contract (probably with a different team).
    Then that's a project player, not someone you pick @ 6. And I do remember Mac was sky-high on this kid. So far he was wrong

Dyson is a tall guard who is an excellent defender, passer, and rebounder. Sure, I wish his outside shot was further along than he is showing so far, but his offensive abilities cannot be accurately judged in the summer league where defenses are paying more attention to him. His value will be seen when he is on the floor with seasoned veterans who will be the focus of opposing defenses.

I think some ppl get it twisted on summer league basketball. Dyson is just fine. Lets look at some other numbers around summer league today:

Malaki Branham 1-17, 1-8 3pt, 6 pts, 4 ast, 2 rebs, 1 stl, 0 blks
    Shaedon Sharpe 4-18, 0-5 3pt, 9 pts, 4 ast, 8 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk
    Johnny Davis 6-16, 2-7 3pt, 14 pts, 3 ast, 4 rebs, 3 stls, 0 blk
    Jaden Ivey (yesterday) 5-19, 2-9 3pt, 14 pts, 4 ast, 5 rebs, 5 stl, 0 blk

All bad shooting games. None of them close to a triple-double. Dyson also with the 2nd most stocks in that peer group tonight.

Respect the other stuff that'll transfer every night when it counts.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-10-2023 at 02:25 AM.

Dyson is a big physical guard who can defend, pass, rebound and start the fast break on his own. Jason Kidd was much the same when he was young and had a jumper so broken they called him “Ason Kidd”. He wound up being one of the most prolific three point shooters in NBA history, so let’s not hit the panic button quite yet…

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I believe Robbins is still hurt.
    You're right, I think it was reported that he would be available only for training camp.

On the bright side, I'm pleased with Hawkins SL so far. He display real willingness and no fear to attack the paint, he struggle from 3 and from the FT line but it doesn't concern me given his shot release stay clean, so I expect a regression to the mean game where he will be redhot.
    Last edited by Blattman; 07-10-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    Both Scoot and Amen were injured in their last games. That is not “load management.”
    Sorry, I missed that. I was out of town most of last week, so I missed the beginning of SL. And got home to a daughter in the hospital with pneumonia.

Our summer league team is bad, but I think it’s better to let your draft prospects run the game as opposed to filling out the roster with Naji and Jose. You get a much better look at the guys you need to look at. I really want to see JHawk’s shots start falling though. Not that it matters as he will have better players taking the pressure off of him in real games, but it would be a nice confidence booster going into the regular season. Dice just needs to keep working on that shot. Biggest thing holding him back.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Dyson is a big physical guard who can defend, pass, rebound and start the fast break on his own. Jason Kidd was much the same when he was young and had a jumper so broken they called him ?Ason Kidd?. He wound up being one of the most prolific three point shooters in NBA history, so let?s not hit the panic button quite yet?
    The difference being that Jason Kidd was sensational in breaking down defenses by getting to the rim and finishing at a high percentage. Dyson hasn't shown that ability yet. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't shown a bit more in his drives to the basket considering his size. I think the problem is he doesn't have a real quick first step and tends to make himself smaller when he gets to the rim.

The one move I wish he would lose is his little overhead flip on his way down heading away from the basket. It seems like that shot gets blocked all the time in the NBA, and it doesn't take advantage of his length. I saw one drive in the first game I was pretty impressed with where he extended and dunked the ball. He needs to be more consistent in taking the ball strong to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think some ppl get it twisted on summer league basketball. Dyson is just fine. Lets look at some other numbers around summer league today:

Malaki Branham 1-17, 1-8 3pt, 6 pts, 4 ast, 2 rebs, 1 stl, 0 blks
    Shaedon Sharpe 4-18, 0-5 3pt, 9 pts, 4 ast, 8 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk
    Johnny Davis 6-16, 2-7 3pt, 14 pts, 3 ast, 4 rebs, 3 stls, 0 blk
    Jaden Ivey (yesterday) 5-19, 2-9 3pt, 14 pts, 4 ast, 5 rebs, 5 stl, 0 blk

All bad shooting games. None of them close to a triple-double. Dyson also with the 2nd most stocks in that peer group tonight.

Respect the other stuff that'll transfer every night when it counts.
    My only problem with Dyson (for now) is his shot, which he has time to improve as long as he works to improve it. People want Dyson to "take over", but that's not his game and that's not his mentality. i don't see a "dog" in Dyson offensively... he's a pure pit bull on defense, but he's not THAT guy on offense. he may never be... some guys just aren't.

But if Dyson can get a (relatively) consistent jumper he's gonna be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    The difference being that Jason Kidd was sensational in breaking down defenses by getting to the rim and finishing at a high percentage. Dyson hasn't shown that ability yet.
    I love this retroactive perspective we gain on players.

Kidd never became a good finisher. His career at-rim %age is 55% which is not good at all. He only ever got above 60% for 4 seasons of his career, and shot under 50% at the rim 3 seasons.

His career FG% was 40%. He was aggressive and used that to leverage passing but he was never ''finishing at a high percentage''. Compare him to someone like Rondo, for example, who was also never a high level efficient scorer but shot better than 60% at the rim 9 seasons of his career and had a career average of 60.3% at the rim.

Or to another small guard, who is a legitimately very talented finisher at the rim, Curry - whose career low at the rim is 58.8%, shoots 65.1% there for his career, and has shot better than 70% at the rim twice. Or Nash, whose career started off very rough at the rim but who finished with a career average of 63.9% at the rim, shot over 70% there in 4 separate seasons.

If dyson peaks as a rim finisher at Jason Kidd levels, that's a disappointment.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Its weird to say but Lonzo Ball is a decent comparison for Dyson. A plus defender who is good at facilitating offense and the biggest weakness in his game is scoring ability. Lonzo was able to improve his shot making over time but it definitely took a few years. We dont need or want Dyson to become a score-first type of player on offense, he just needs to be able to keep defenders honest and make them truly honor the threat of him shooting instead of daring and baiting him into it.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Its weird to say but Lonzo Ball is a decent comparison for Dyson. A plus defender who is good at facilitating offense and the biggest weakness in his game is scoring ability. Lonzo was able to improve his shot making over time but it definitely took a few years. We dont need or want Dyson to become a score-first type of player on offense, he just needs to be able to keep defenders honest and make them truly honor the threat of him shooting instead of daring and baiting him into it.
    The major distinction is that while dyson's having mixed results driving, he is driving. He is taking shots at the rim.

Lonzo was still scared to get inside of 10 feet 4 years into his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The major distinction is that while dyson's having mixed results driving, he is driving. He is taking shots at the rim.

Lonzo was still scared to get inside of 10 feet 4 years into his career.
    Fair point. Just wish Dyson could finish. Hopefully that comes with time.

Thread Information