Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General Offseason News

NBA General Offseason News

I know it's a bit early, while the Finals are still on, but it's our off-season by this point, and THIS just dropped so, uh

Offseason news!

Rev up that ''bring CP3 Back to NOLA'' engine
    Basketball.

What a wild thing to happen

Last season he averaged 14/5/9 on 44/38/83 splits, it was a down year for him, and he was still a +3.1 BPM and was still 41st in the NBA in EPM. He's not a mega-star anymore but it's not like he sucks.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-07-2023 at 04:29 PM.

I know it's not happening, he's probably going to be a Laker, but Griff has got to put in those phone calls.

Bring him home, man.

CP wouldn’t help the Lakers’ lack of scorers. Lakers would be smart to go all in on Kyrie. They couldn’t get past Denver without a legit third scorer when Davis disappears.

Basketball Guru
    if cp3 was interested in coming to new orleans, it would be a hard no for me.....2 or 3 seasons ago i would have been on board but now all i see is cp3 sitting out of a playoff series or missing playoffs games.......

i just hope jose take a step up and hope we find someone who can just step in and play PG when we need him to...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know it's not happening, he's probably going to be a Laker, but Griff has got to put in those phone calls.

Bring him home, man.
    Yeah, lets bring another 30MM injury prone player into the fold. By mid-season we might be able to re-name the team the New Orleans Squadron. Yep, that'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Yeah, lets bring another 30MM injury prone player into the fold. By mid-season we might be able to re-name the team the New Orleans Squadron. Yep, that'll work.
    I get the injury concern, don't get me wrong. Not going to argue that there's injury risk. But I doubt he's going to get $30m a year when he just got waived from a contract that only had $16m guaranteed anyway, and most people think he's going to LA who - surprise surprise - cannot offer him $30m in FA. His asking price is probably going to be lower than that.

So what's the positive upside?

1) Our offense struggles hard and we don't have a starter calibre lead guard. CP3 is a starter calibre lead guard who, even at his age, can run an offense.
    2) He maximises bigs entirely, so it might make you widen your consideration of potential C's, and might even lead some to consider retaining Jax if the price is reasonable
    3) Pels fans constantly complain that we don't have someone with the fire, the drive, the hate-to-lose energy; who has more of that in the NBA than CP3? No one.
    4) Would give an indisputable reason to relegate CJ to the bench, which is something most of us want. He even has the NBAPA associations CJ shares.
    5) Obvious historical narratives; if the price is right then him coming back to NOLA to lead the team to success would both work for his own narrative, as well as the Pelicans' history of losing stars. It would right both wrongs.

Totally understand why someone might think he's going to cost too much to justify at this point, or if the injury is a concern (I will note that he's played 66 games a year for the last 4 years, which is pretty average for a star in the modern NBA), but it's not like there's no upside to be seen.

I don’t think his market is still 30M as a 38 year old facilitator. More like 15-20 range. He was due 15.8M in the last year of the Phoenix deal. Of course bidders can bring the price back up

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    I don’t think his market is still 30M as a 38 year old facilitator. More like 15-20 range
    Exactly what I think. If he's getting offers for $30m, I wouldn't even try to compete. For $18m? Absolutely interested.

Can you imagine the hell that CP3, Herb, and Jose would put opposing ballhandlers through?

Some people talking about the possibility of CP3 just re-signing there on less money.

Possible, but there are catches surrounding that:

Exactly what I think. If he's getting offers for $30m, I wouldn't even try to compete. For $18m? Absolutely interested.
    18M would be a good deal for both sides at his age wherever CP goes. I don’t see why he can’t win a championship with Zion, BI, and CJ, plus the rotation we have, just as much, if not more than an older Lebron and brittle Davis. That’s 3 stars, which 2 are still young, versus 2 on the Lakers. He wouldn’t be Lebron’s missing piece to get another chip at this stage in their careers.

It’d feel like he’s just tagging along with Lebron and padding names on paper if he goes to LA. He could return as a leader here and end his career with a few deep playoff runs in his original team.

Shams just tweeted that the Suns are looking at multiple options including a trade, waiving and stretching, or resigning him at a lower cost.

So basically, they're looking at every possible thing they could do under the CBA? Thanks for that Shams.

They're either going to trade him, keep him, or waive him fully. Very nice of you to let us know.

Woj:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ture-franchise

The Suns insist that they're still working through several possibilities on Paul's future and reiterated that to his representatives later on Wednesday afternoon, sources said. Phoenix plans to explore trade opportunities including Paul and Deandre Ayton that could alter the franchise's roster landscape ahead of a final decision on Paul's partially guaranteed contract, sources said.
    The expectation is that the Suns would stretch and waive Paul's contract, spreading the cap hit over a longer-term to create more salary cap space in ensuing years.

Paul continues to want to return to the Suns and partner with his close friend Devin Booker and Kevin Durant, sources said. Nevertheless, Paul and his representatives want the organization to make a quicker decision on his future so that he can proceed out into the marketplace as a free agent, if indeed they ultimately waive him, sources said.
    So basically, the Suns haven't yet officially 100% waived him, largely because they aren't exactly sure what they want to do. CP3 is interested in staying, but also wants them to hurry up and make whatever choice they're going to make quickly so that he can prepare for real free agency if they do let him go.

I don't think they're going to get many takers on trading for his contract, since it would basically guarantee him at $30m for the next few years. If they're truly considering trading Ayton and doing a mini-reset, I'm not sure if they have the flexibility to do that with CP3 on the roster.

He is being waived on a $15 million guaranteed contract. He is not a $30mm player any longer although I know it sounds better if you argue against it. I seem to recall you clamoring for a "true PG." If he were willing to sign very cheaply, I think we would consider it. However, I do not see him signing for less than $10 million, so I would pass.

Personally I would love for him to finish his career in New Orleans

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If CP3 came to New Orleans we would automatically be the championship favorites in my book. Unfortunately I think he will go to LA.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Are you the same guy who wont shut up about the Pelicans needing a point guard? And this is your take? I don’t want to exaggerate here, please believe me when I say you are consistently the worst poster of any that I have ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    If CP3 came to New Orleans we would automatically be the championship favorites in my book. Unfortunately I think he will go to LA.
    If CP3 came here and we could be even just league-average healthy, I completely agree. I feel like we could have made the finals even without him, but he just puts so many ducks in a row.

I agree that I think it's unlikely - he's probably either ending up in LA or just back in Phoenix somehow - but you have to at least reach out to him. Griff needs to call, Willie Green needs to call, find out what it would take. If its reasonable, and he's amenable, get him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He is being waived on a $15 million guaranteed contract. He is not a $30mm player any longer although I know it sounds better if you argue against it. I seem to recall you clamoring for a "true PG." If he were willing to sign very cheaply, I think we would consider it. However, I do not see him signing for less than $10 million, so I would pass.
    If he's claimed off of waivers, he's a 30MM player. And yes, I do want a PG (clamoring or not, my fine sir), just not a 38 year old shell of an all star great. But it's good to know you remember my posts; I guess I've had an impact on you.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Are you the same guy who wont shut up about the Pelicans needing a point guard? And this is your take? I don’t want to exaggerate here, please believe me when I say you are consistently the worst poster of any that I have ever come across.
    The team needs two things:

1. A Point guard that we haven't had since Jrue was traded.
    2. A Power Forward that will suit up more than 38% of the time. Something we haven't enjoyed since AD was traded (not that I was against trading him).

And no, my friend, there is no way I will shut up about it as long as I am allowed to post.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-07-2023 at 10:17 PM.

If CP3 came here and we could be even just league-average healthy, I completely agree. I feel like we could have made the finals even without him, but he just puts so many ducks in a row.

I agree that I think it's unlikely - he's probably either ending up in LA or just back in Phoenix somehow - but you have to at least reach out to him. Griff needs to call, Willie Green needs to call, find out what it would take. If its reasonable, and he's amenable, get him.
    I agree with you. A competent PG (orchestrator) who could be relied on, would just put so many ducks in a row.

If he's claimed off of waivers, he's a 30MM player. And yes, I do want a PG (clamoring or not, my fine sir), just not a 38 year old shell of an all star great. But it's good to know you remember my posts; I guess I've had an impact on you.
    Let's be serious. Do you really think any team would claim him off of waivers? How often does that happen, if ever, with a high priced aging veteran?

Thread Information