Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to Restructure Player Care & Performance

News Pelicans to Restructure Player Care & Performance

From the article:

The New Orleans Pelicans plan to restructure their player care and performance team after their injury-marred 2022-23 season, sources told The Times-Picayune.

Aaron Nelson, the Pelicans vice president of player performance and care, has been in charge of that department for the last four seasons.

Under Nelson, the Pelicans have finished seventh, 27th, 20th and seventh in games lost to injury, according to Man-Games Lost.
    Not sure how much 'news' this is, given that Griff said as much at the interviews after the season ended, but it's making the media now I suppose.

Thoughts? Other than ''about time''.
    Basketball.

Some additional commentary that I generally agree with:

This "Zion's relationship with the team" and staff BS needs to be laid to rest for god's sake. Just STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This "Zion's relationship with the team" and staff BS needs to be laid to rest for god's sake. Just STOP.
    Why is it hard to believe? It has been pretty obvious that the athletic staff has rubbed some people the wrong way over the years. I know Gentry was frustrated with them and SVG has hinted at some disagreements with them. Heck, Zion showed a lot of frustration with the "bursts" the Nelson used in his rookie year that seemed very unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why is it hard to believe? It has been pretty obvious that the athletic staff has rubbed some people the wrong way over the years. I know Gentry was frustrated with them and SVG has hinted at some disagreements with them. Heck, Zion showed a lot of frustration with the "bursts" the Nelson used in his rookie year that seemed very unusual.
    Yeah, it seems more reasonable than not that there would be at least some concerns over them, and obviously the team believes the same or Griff wouldn't have publicly told everyone on camera that they needed to be fixed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Player health has been far and away the most impactful area that the Pels are failing in. I am not worried about Zion's relationship with the team nearly as much as our inability to keep him on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Player health has been far and away the most impactful area that the Pels are failing in. I am not worried about Zion's relationship with the team nearly as much as our inability to keep him on the floor.
    The two are almost certainly related to some extent, so it's a case of identifying the cause rather than effect.

I think the problems with health are the cause - fix them, we win games, discontent goes away for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The two are almost certainly related to some extent, so it's a case of identifying the cause rather than effect.

I think the problems with health are the cause - fix them, we win games, discontent goes away for the most part.
    No disrespect intended....

The guy (or should I say his stepdad) had a problem with being drafted by Pelicans ever since the 2019 ping pong balls were dropped. Everything that has transpired since then is conveniently 'salt' added to an already-deep wound for him and his entourage. Without question, we can say that the Pelicans have bent over backwards to foster the relationship. Can we say the same about Mr. Williamson?

Until proven wrong, to me, he is more myth than legend...more hype than reality...more child than adult. Maybe one day, the he will grow up and mature into adulthood (and a real professional basketball player), then again, maybe not. I won't be holding my breath.
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-31-2023 at 02:27 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    So maybe now we won't see a 55 week "RAMP UP" for a pinky toe or hamstring injury? Be still my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    No disrespect intended....

The guy (or should I say his stepdad) had a problem with being drafted by Pelicans ever since the 2019 ping pong balls were dropped. Everything that has transpired since then is conveniently 'salt' added to an already-deep wound for him and his entourage. Without question, we can say that the Pelicans have bent over backwards to foster the relationship. Can we say the same about Mr. Williamson?

Until proven wrong, to me, he is more myth than legend...more hype than reality...more child than adult. Maybe one day, the he will grow up and mature into adulthood (and a real professional basketball player), then again, maybe not. I won't be holding my breath.
    Not the case at all. His stepdad was excited to be in New Orleans. Go back and revisit the introductory press conference where he asked to speak.

Not the case at all. His stepdad was excited to be in New Orleans. Go back and revisit the introductory press conference where he asked to speak.
    Words are cheap...actions always speak the truth. The mere fact that he Anderson went on Baton Rouse radio to verbalize his 'love for the Pelicans', speaks to the actions he was made to defend.

The way things are setting up, in the end, the whole "Williamson Era" in New Orleans will turn out to be more fiction than fact; yes, a very expensive fraud.

The same thing I said about JAX (which was proven to be true) applies to Williamson in spades: "FLASH OR CRASH, AND MOSTLY CRASH".

I'm talking specifically about this constant singling out of Zion being frustrated with the team and staff. And the team and staff having to revolve everything around him. That nonsense is played out.

I also didn't see where he showed "a lot" of frustration other than the usual you see from all players on bursts..."I wish I could have been out there" talk.

That's all there was. Paul George said the same exact thing while the Clippers had him on a burst.

Words are cheap...actions always speak the truth. The mere fact that he Anderson went on Baton Rouse radio to verbalize his 'love for the Pelicans', speaks to the actions he was made to defend.

The way things are setting up, in the end, the whole "Williamson Era" in New Orleans will turn out to be more fiction than fact; yes, a very expensive fraud.

The same thing I said about JAX (which was proven to be true) applies to Williamson in spades: "FLASH OR CRASH, AND MOSTLY CRASH".
    OK, I did not realize that you know what a person is thinking and that their comments are not legitimate. He spoke at the introductory press conference when he did not have to. But I should have asked you to interpret his feelings and meanings behind his words instead.

I'm talking specifically about this constant singling out of Zion being frustrated with the team and staff. And the team and staff having to revolve everything around him. That nonsense is played out.

I also didn't see where he showed "a lot" of frustration other than the usual you see from all players on bursts..."I wish I could have been out there" talk.

That's all there was. Paul George said the same exact thing while the Clippers had him on a burst.
    I misunderstood what you meant. George (and many players coming back from injury) was on a minute restriction. Nelson's staff used "bursts" with Zion that were ridiculous, limiting him to specific minutes each time he stepped on the court, regardless of how he was feeling or the flow of the game.

I misunderstood what you meant. George (and many players coming back from injury) was on a minute restriction. Nelson's staff used "bursts" with Zion that were ridiculous, limiting him to specific minutes each time he stepped on the court, regardless of how he was feeling or the flow of the game.
    Ridiculous!! The professionals had no idea what they were doing? I think I would take my advice from the professional, but, hey, that's just me....what do I know?

Ridiculous!! The professionals had no idea what they were doing? I think I would take my advice from the professional, but, hey, that's just me....what do I know?
    You are right. I guess everyone else in the league should be doing it that way as well. And no professional should ever be questioned or replaced as they get it right 100% of the time.

I'd love to know Zion's independent medical and training staff/input. You'd think he'd have access to the best medical professionals, through Nike or otherwise, who could mitigate many of the negatives Pels med staff might have caused. On the other hand, perhaps only Pels staff can officially clear him for certain activities, and thus have the final say.

You are right. I guess everyone else in the league should be doing it that way as well. And no professional should ever be questioned or replaced as they get it right 100% of the time.
    Nah, but if I need medical attention, I'm not going on the rely on the 'expertise' of internet thought.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-01-2023 at 09:00 PM.

The Clippers had George doing the same exact thing. Whether it's called "bursts" or a minutes restriction, it's the same. Was nothing unusual with Zion.

But as usual, everything around Zion gets blown way out of proportion to generate clicks and views.

But as usual, everything around Zion gets blown way out of proportion to generate clicks and views.
    By the way, where is Bigfoot? He hiding out in the mountains and caves again?

Nah, but if I need medical attention, I'm not going on the rely on the 'expertise' of internet thought.
    And chose any "professional" without question regardless of his recent results. You go with that. The "internet experts" are not the ones restructuring the player and performance are. It is the president of operations, so I think he has a little insight.

And chose any "professional" without question regardless of his recent results. You go with that. The "internet experts" are not the ones restructuring the player and performance are. It is the president of operations, so I think he has a little insight.
    - or -

....being held hostage by the man-child.

Based on Nelson's distinguished, 20 year track record, I vote the latter

- or -

....being held hostage by the man-child.

Based on Nelson's distinguished, 20 year track record, I vote the latter
    You would vote the latter if Nelson were a statue.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...source=twitter

Follow up article. Here are some excerpts:

Nelson clashes with Zion

Star forward Zion Williamson got hurt before ever playing in a game with the New Orleans Pelicans. He tore the lateral meniscus in his right knee during the preseason in 2019. The Pelicans estimated it would take him six to eight weeks to recover. It took Williamson 13 weeks to get back on the court.

As The Times-Picayune first reported two years ago, Williamson became frustrated with the Pelicans for the number of hoops they made him jump through to play again. When Williamson finally made his NBA debut against the San Antonio Spurs, the team placed him on “burst” limits, which he hated.
    Nelson clashes with Gentry and Zion

Gentry was frustrated that the burst limits interrupted a magical moment and potentially cost his team a win. He also felt the Griffin-Nelson duo lacked feel for adhering to the burst limits in the fourth quarter, despite the way the game was going.

Williamson’s relationship with Nelson became strained during his rookie season. At different points, Williamson refused to work with him.
    Nelson clashes with SVG

As the pandemic-compressed season wore on, Van Gundy became frustrated that the Pelicans could not practice enough. His views on what NBA players’ bodies could withstand in terms of workload differed greatly from Nelson’s. Those two clashed frequently during Van Gundy’s eight-month stint in charge.

[...] “When I got the job, I called coach (Mike) Krzyzewski at Duke,” Van Gundy said in March. “I remember him saying to me about Zion, ‘Stan, the best way to get Zion in shape and get him ready is, he needs to play. He needs to scrimmage in practice. He needs to play in games. He needs to play.’ "
    Trouble with Ingram's injuries too

Brandon Ingram sat out 29 consecutive games with an injury the team described as a left toe contusion. Ingram kicked the back of a Memphis Grizzlies player’s foot in November. Two days after the injury, Pelicans coach Willie Green said Ingram was “day to day.”

Days turned into weeks. Weeks turned into months. Ingram did not play again until Jan. 25 — exactly two months after hurting his toe. During this time, there was significant frustration in the Pelicans organization about Ingram’s extended absence. Several people felt that Ingram was capable of playing.
    General complaint from 'insiders'

One of the biggest complaints about Nelson's time in charge was how inflexible he could be. Williamson's burst-shortened NBA debut was a prime example.

Thread Information