Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who at #14?

If the Pels give up assets to move up to select Lively, Griff needs to be launched directly into the sun.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If the Pels give up assets to move up to select Lively, Griff needs to be launched directly into the sun.
    I second that. Im not sure he's any better than James Nnaji, who could be attained via trading back

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I second that. Im not sure he's any better than James Nnaji, who could be attained via trading back
    He's probably going to be a very fine rim protector but he has shown basically no other skills - there's nothing he does (right now) that you can't just get on the FA market every year for the minimum. I agree with you, if all you want is a rim runner/protector, trade back, grab another asset, and pick up Nnaji, or get one in FA.

I have something against drafting one dimension guys and then just hoping they gain another skill at some point in their lives. It's the same reason I'm anti-Hawkins on this team. Yes, I think he'll be a good NBA shooter but he does nothing else.

Right now, ESPN's latest mock (as of 6 hours ago) has Cason Wallace to the Hawks at #15, Brandin Podziemski to the Warriors at #19, Leonard Miller to the Hornets at #27, dariq Whitehead to the Clippers at #30, and Brice Sensabaugh to the Pistons at #31.

I would rather take any of them than Lively at #14.

I won't be as angry as some if they take Lively at 14. I will be if they give up any assets to get him.

I'll be happier if he's picked by someone else.

Twitter = steroid infused Tiger Droppings. And that includes some of the local "media."

Basketball Guru
    Question for dae or anyone who scout the college players.......who in this draft could be a good backup PF thats ready to play now?.....

i know we have the kid from ohio st but who in this draft could be a good player to draft as a backup PF...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Question for dae or anyone who scout the college players.......who in this draft could be a good backup PF thats ready to play now?.....

i know we have the kid from ohio st but who in this draft could be a good player to draft as a backup PF...
    The weakness of this draft is really in the bigs, so it depends. If you want a traditional PF, there aren't many options - if you're into a more modern switchy Nance Jr type, there are a few.

Jarace is the obvious go-to. He's absolutely excellent, but he's probably going top 10 so we won't get him.

Taylor Hendricks is more of a blocks-and-threes forward than an old school, but he's also excellent - also probably going top 10.

Leonard Miller is fun, he's not really a shooter as of yet (mechanics are all kinds of inconsistent) but he's got some craft, some reasonable passing, and he's a legitimately very good rebounder with some defensive versatility.

Trayce Jackson-davis is predicted by most to go a little lower, potentially even second round, but he's very much like Nance Jr. He's already 23 so he's a little old for a rookie but he's that kind of guy who will be pretty good straight away, I think, a good secondary rim protector who can venture out of the paint a little and a great passer out of the short roll.

Basketball Guru
    The weakness of this draft is really in the bigs, so it depends. If you want a traditional PF, there aren't many options - if you're into a more modern switchy Nance Jr type, there are a few.

Jarace is the obvious go-to. He's absolutely excellent, but he's probably going top 10 so we won't get him.

Taylor Hendricks is more of a blocks-and-threes forward than an old school, but he's also excellent - also probably going top 10.

Leonard Miller is fun, he's not really a shooter as of yet (mechanics are all kinds of inconsistent) but he's got some craft, some reasonable passing, and he's a legitimately very good rebounder with some defensive versatility.

Trayce Jackson-davis is predicted by most to go a little lower, potentially even second round, but he's very much like Nance Jr. He's already 23 so he's a little old for a rookie but he's that kind of guy who will be pretty good straight away, I think, a good secondary rim protector who can venture out of the paint a little and a great passer out of the short roll.
    thanks.....the one thing thats been driving me is that we didnt have anyone behind zion to step in when he was injured......ill take a solid backup PF over anyone to add with the team we have now....

What about EJ? Can he play some 4?

The wise thing to do is to play it back......

# 1 missed 53 games (some by choice)
    BI Missed 37 games
    Jose' missed 21 games
    DD missed 23 games (not all due to injury)
    LNJ missed 17 games
    EJ Missed 82 games

For Consideration: 2020 #1 pick, Kira Lewis was coming back from Knee surgery and missed 57 games.

````

But, instead of talking about the reasons to be optimistic about this team and a potential lottery selection (Cason Wallace, please), we are forced into dealing with the immaturity of a guy who continues to hold this franchise hostage and commenting on his off-the-court sexual practices.

Pels Life to the nth degree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    What about EJ? Can he play some 4?
    I actually had him as a first rounder in his draft, I was very pleased when we picked him up - if he's anything like his pre-injury self, yes, I think he solves a lot of our issues in terms of backup forward. He's a great rebounder, can shoot, excellent passer, smart and mature player.

Who knows, obviously, now - it was a serious injury. But if he's even 85% of himself he should be a cool contributor at the 4 and even potentially small-ball 5. He's not PJ Tucker but there's kind of a little of the PJ Tucker aura about him sometimes.

Is there a player @14 or anywhere close o 14 that would come in and really contribute this season? Or is it better to trade that pick plus whatever for a vet that would help this yr? We have a pretty young team is it wise to draft a rookie that would probably take 2 yrs to really make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Is there a player @14 or anywhere close o 14 that would come in and really contribute this season? Or is it better to trade that pick plus whatever for a vet that would help this yr? We have a pretty young team is it wise to draft a rookie that would probably take 2 yrs to really make a difference
    I think it depends what you mean by 'contribute', I guess. If you mean, is there someone who will come in and be a top 5 player on the team instantly, the answer is probably no at #14. But then, any vet you get for trading #14 probably won't meet that standard either.

If you're just asking if there's anyone who could come in and be functional in some ways, with some rough edges that need polishing, the answer is yes.

For example, some mocks have Cason Wallace still available at #14 - he's someone that both I and As I See It have been fans of for a while now. He's excellent and while he's going to take a while to be a primary initiator at the NBA (which is his ultimate ceiling, as a PG) I'm fairly confident that he's going to be a very capable defender at the guard positions immediately while making sensible passes and still being an okay catch and shoot guy.

Brandin Podziemski is another example - he's probably going to struggle defensively as a rookie, and he's going to have to adjust a little bit to the differences between NBA and college rebounding (he was a very good rebounding guard in college but in the NBA it's a little different) but he's going to be a solid shooter and passer immediately, imo.

Even someone like Lively, who I don't like at #14 at all, is probably going to be a reasonable enough drop defender even early in his career - good enough that he could replace Jax on that end without much issue, even if he hasn't got the offensive upside Jax initially had.

There are definitely options.

Of course if we were top 7-ish, Wemby, Amen, Ausar, and Jarace are all guys who I think are immediate impact players day 1.

So let's say the starters are CJ, BI, Herb, Zion, and JV. The first off the bench are Jose, Trey, Dyson, and Nance (not in that order). That's already nine....all that to say, barring injuries, I just don't see anyone cracking decent minutes. The only spot that might get play is Center and this isn't the best spot for those guys. If we're not making a major move, I'm all for us trading back and gaining ammunition for later or getting a high risk/high reward player that can chill in Alabama a season or two.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    So let's say the starters are CJ, BI, Herb, Zion, and JV. The first off the bench are Jose, Trey, Dyson, and Nance (not in that order). That's already nine....all that to say, barring injuries, I just don't see anyone cracking decent minutes. The only spot that might get play is Center and this isn't the best spot for those guys. If we're not making a major move, I'm all for us trading back and gaining ammunition for later or getting a high risk/high reward player that can chill in Alabama a season or two.
    I feel like a lot will depend on any moves that happen. Even assuming that both BI and Zion stay, I don't think it would be a huge shocker if JV, Naji, etc, left - and of course, we're not likely to resign Jax. So maybe they really want to replace Jax with someone and that's why they're rumoured to be into Lively. I would very much dislike that, but it's always possible.

Or maybe there's some package deal in the pipeline where a fan favourite who isn't necessarily a roster mainstay goes somewhere; such as Jose. I like Jose a lot, but if the right deal exists it's hard to frame him as untouchable, and then they might be interested in a backup guard which would make something like the Podziemski pick more likely - or someone I dislike like Hawkins

Lots of possibilities still in the air. There are dominoes that could make almost anything happen should they fall.

Dae, who would you say is the guy who has top 5 or top 10 talent but is just too raw and will need development time so they might fall to us at 14?

I like Jose a lot, but if the right deal exists it's hard to frame him as untouchable, and then they might be interested in a backup guard which would make something like the Podziemski pick more likely - or someone I dislike like Hawkins
    Now it's a given, Jordan Hawkins will shine in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Now it's a given, Jordan Hawkins will shine in the NBA.
    Hey, he's still relatively young, it's always possible he learns to do something other than shoot. He's a great shooter, it's just literally everything else he's missing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Dae, who would you say is the guy who has top 5 or top 10 talent but is just too raw and will need development time so they might fall to us at 14?
    I think the popular answer right now is Bilal Coulibaly, but frankly I don't buy it too much from him right now. Lots of people are hot on him right now though, for precisely that reason: he's raw in a lot of ways but he has cool flashes and he has the build for it and everything.

For me, I could easily see Jarace Walker falling in the same way that Brandon Clarke did a few years ago: he's kind of a tweener forward who isn't really an established shooter, lacks some of the size you might want, but is just really good at playing basketball and is so versatile defensively despite the height disadvantages. I think he has spot-up shooter potential also, that's not a complete non-factor. Excellent screener, fantastically mobile, moves well laterally, awesome rebounder who really commands the paint despite the size issues, vertical enough to overcome some of that height problem and he really seals guys off well. Pretty solid ballhandler, especially for the position, passes well off the short roll, has some good finesse finishes like floaters. I have him #5 on my board and I do get the feeling he's going to slide a bit. Probably not to 14, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened.

Pre-season, I also had dariq Whitehead as one of those top top talents, and purely based on court, I still do. Flamethrower shooting prospect, excellent frame for it, great ballhandler, fantastic sense of balance, very nice footwork. Problem with him is that he's now broken his foot on two separate occasions I think, and most mocks have sliding as far as the 30s as a result - if the medicals are truly that bad, I would avoid him, but obviously I have no knowledge of those medicals; maybe it's just bad luck? That's something only people with actual medical training who can look at him can tell. He's also one of the youngest guys in the class.

Edit: Leonard Miller is also like, the ultimate ''if he shoots' guy in this class. Tall, fun defensive player, surprisingly good handle, decent enough passer, weirdly athletic, quite mobile, but right now his shooting is a shambles. If he can translate it to the NBA and actually work out how to shoot, he'll be fun.

Hey, he's still relatively young, it's always possible he learns to do something other than shoot. He's a great shooter, it's just literally everything else he's missing at the moment.
    And he's younger than BI when he got here, huh?

Edit: Leonard Miller is also like, the ultimate ''if he shoots' guy in this class. Tall, fun defensive player, surprisingly good handle, decent enough passer, weirdly athletic, quite mobile, but right now his shooting is a shambles. If he can translate it to the NBA and actually work out how to shoot, he'll be fun.
    Sounds like you are describing DD.

I hate to over-simplify ********, but it seems like every time we lose a game it's because we get beat at the 3 pt line.... badly. There's a lot more to basketball than 3 pointers, but I don't care; I want a damn sniper. I don't want anyone who has to learn to shoot this time around. I just want a shooter... thats it

grady dick
    keyonte george (despite his college%, he can shoot)
    jordan hawkins (I like him the least)
    jett howard
    brandon podzienski
    dariq whitehead
    krid murray (33% isnt good, but he took 7 a game

I hate to over-simplify ********, but it seems like every time we lose a game it's because we get beat at the 3 pt line.... badly. There's a lot more to basketball than 3 pointers, but I don't care; I want a damn sniper. I don't want anyone who has to learn to shoot this time around. I just want a shooter... thats it

grady dick
    keyonte george (despite his college%, he can shoot)
    jordan hawkins (I like him the least)
    jett howard
    brandon podzienski
    dariq whitehead
    krid murray (33% isnt good, but he took 7 a game
    Brice Sensabaugh was, in my opinion, the second best shooter in the draft this year - he's another example of how the medicals come out though, cause he did have a knee injury.

He's probably one of the best scorers all-round this year, assuming health.

6'6. 40.5% from 3 on 11.1 3s per 100. High level pullup game, from 3 and the midrange - shot over 40% on NBA range 3PAs.

Sensabaugh, Whitehead, Podziemski, are probably the 3 that will be on the board at #14 who I would take, assuming nobody falls. If he falls, I'd add Cason.

I think the popular answer right now is Bilal Coulibaly, but frankly I don't buy it too much from him right now. Lots of people are hot on him right now though, for precisely that reason: he's raw in a lot of ways but he has cool flashes and he has the build for it and everything.

For me, I could easily see Jarace Walker falling in the same way that Brandon Clarke did a few years ago: he's kind of a tweener forward who isn't really an established shooter, lacks some of the size you might want, but is just really good at playing basketball and is so versatile defensively despite the height disadvantages. I think he has spot-up shooter potential also, that's not a complete non-factor. Excellent screener, fantastically mobile, moves well laterally, awesome rebounder who really commands the paint despite the size issues, vertical enough to overcome some of that height problem and he really seals guys off well. Pretty solid ballhandler, especially for the position, passes well off the short roll, has some good finesse finishes like floaters. I have him #5 on my board and I do get the feeling he's going to slide a bit. Probably not to 14, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened.

Pre-season, I also had dariq Whitehead as one of those top top talents, and purely based on court, I still do. Flamethrower shooting prospect, excellent frame for it, great ballhandler, fantastic sense of balance, very nice footwork. Problem with him is that he's now broken his foot on two separate occasions I think, and most mocks have sliding as far as the 30s as a result - if the medicals are truly that bad, I would avoid him, but obviously I have no knowledge of those medicals; maybe it's just bad luck? That's something only people with actual medical training who can look at him can tell. He's also one of the youngest guys in the class.

Solid.

This post will make draft night more fun for me. Hoping some people fall to us.

ya know i had cast off sensabough cause i simply stereotyped him to have a hard time getting open, getting his shot off and being a defensive liability due
    his lack of height, athleticism, wingspan ect and to a large measure I am right. he will struggle in the pros.

... but after finally watching his tape i must say the dude is a damn savy scorer and will stay that way. look at desmond Bane and his tyranasauras rex like arms. he made it lol

dont want him at 14 though

ya know i had cast off sensabough cause i simply stereotyped him to have a hard time getting open, getting his shot off and being a defensive liability due
    his lack of height, athleticism, wingspan ect and to a large measure I am right. he will struggle in the pros.

... but after finally watching his tape i must say the dude is a damn savy scorer and will stay that way. look at desmond Bane and his tyranasauras rex like arms. he made it lol

dont want him at 14 though
    He's not a good defender, that's absolutely true. Probably the best pure scorer in the top of the draft though, which I think is pretty impressive and if all you want is someone who can score the damn ball and shoot from everywhere, he is your man.

Thread Information