Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who at #14?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Best 3pt shooter or Center available. Period.

Maybe trading down or back into the 2nd?

https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...e%20G%2DLeague.

NEW ORLEANS- The New Orleans Pelicans have brought in former Furman University sharpshooter Jalen Slawson for a private workout ahead of the NBA Draft, per the Paladins Hoops Twitter account.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Maybe trading down or back into the 2nd?

https://www.si.com/nba/pelicans/nba/...e%20G%2DLeague.
    I think we are just performing due diligence for possible undrafted FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think we are just performing due diligence for possible undrafted FAs.
    Generally I agree. If someone is willing to take a workout with you, why wouldn't you? Get as much information as possible even if it's not likely to end up mattering.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If he reaches his absolute top outcome, he has All NBA potential, which would theoretically put him in the top 15-20 players in the league in a given year, so yeah I think that's about where I rate him. If he can even shoot a little he's gamebreaking in some respects, if it all translates.

Obviously there's risks with everything, not everything does translate, and sometimes players get bad team contexts and don't get the development they need or work on the right things. But if things go well, he's a special player.
    I wish you made podcasts or created a newsletter or something. I would definitely subscribe. Your big board write ups is always fun to read, we DEFINITELY need more Pelicans draft talking guys like you man. Please consider making a podcast lol
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I wish you made podcasts or created a newsletter or something. I would definitely subscribe. Your big board write ups is always fun to read, we DEFINITELY need more Pelicans draft talking guys like you man. Please consider making a podcast lol
    I might think about the idea of doing a full big-board that people can read, which has all my thoughts in it. I guess that might be worth newsletter-ing or something, if you would be interested. Maybe some scouting stuff written up. Really it would depend on if people actually wanted to hear it, I suppose.

I'm not sure how much it would be worth a podcast honestly, for others and for me. I keep up with draft stuff as much as I can, and I take it seriously, but I don't consider myself an expert and I've taken a lot of advice from other draft people over the years on what to be watching for, which stats tend to translate and which don't, etc.

For example, if you want to find out about prospects before anyone else go look up Mike Gribanov. I think he used to write for the Stepien, though now he's mostly on Twitter, and if you want to find out who looks like a prospect for the 2026 draft, he's your man: I get all of my ''to-watch'' early prospects from him.

Generally I agree. If someone is willing to take a workout with you, why wouldn't you? Get as much information as possible even if it's not likely to end up mattering.
    Except no team will waste time and resources just looking at any player willing to workout.

He seems to fit the profile of what the type of player the Pelicans either draft or sign as UFAs.

Ive liked every prospectice 14th pick better than Keyonte George at some point. But his floor is pretty much Eric Gordon. That's better than the other guards floor

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We need a true point guard who can shoot and play defense. Cason Wallace looks like a fit.

We need a shooter who can space the floor. Gradey Dick or Jordan Hawkins would work here.

We need to start grooming a center. If Lively is there, and our scouts believe he can improve his outside shot (not just in a pro day workout) then I think it's really tempting. You get defense and hustle right out of the gate with him too.

One I really dislike, especially anywhere in the lottery, is drafting one dimensional talent.

Guys like Jordan Hawkins are that, to me. He's a very legit shooter, imo, but not much more than that. Probably the best pure shooter in the draft but you're essentially just gambling on the hopes that he's going to develop any other skill at some point, and for someone who is already 21 you would hope that something might have shown up by now. Take him in the 2nd, sure, but #14? You're leaving so much on the table with that.

That's basically my take on Lively as well, except instead of shooting his one big skill is rim protection. At least he has the advantage of still being 19, so a lot earlier in the development track, but the general point stands.

Cason, I like.

#14 is a really unpleasant situation in some ways, I'd honestly either see if I could move up slightly for a reasonable price or just move back and pick up an additional asset.

Here's an interesting question:

Who is a prospect that you're a lot higher on than consensus, and then one you're a lot lower on?

By consensus I mostly mean in terms of where they're appearing on mainstream mocks, like ESPN, Bleacher Report, etc.

Team Wallace since day one and I am not wavering.

Who is a prospect that you're a lot higher on than consensus, and then one you're a lot lower on?

By consensus I mostly mean in terms of where they're appearing on mainstream mocks, like ESPN, Bleacher Report, etc.
    Higher on: Leonard Miller is interesting. His shot can be tweaked right now because he is so young (and still growing into his body), but my god...if Vinson could get his mechanics fixed he would be insane value at 14.

Lower on: Jett Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Higher on: Leonard Miller is interesting. His shot can be tweaked right now because he is so young (and still growing into his body), but my god...if Vinson could get his mechanics fixed he would be insane value at 14.

Lower on: Jett Howard.
    I like Miller too, I have him around 18th in my personal rankings. Lots of potential there, if things go right.

You must really dislike Howard, most mocks have him going around 20th now - where would you take him?

I like Miller too, I have him around 18th in my personal rankings. Lots of potential there, if things go right.

You must really dislike Howard, most mocks have him going around 20th now - where would you take him?
    I'm just very wary of anyone with foot/ankle injuries at this point. I probably wouldn't take him unless we traded to the bottom of the 1st somewhere.

I have been a fan of Lively but he seems to be rising now in most mocks.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I have been a fan of Lively but he seems to be rising now in most mocks.
    This draft is pretty good overall but it's pretty scarce on bigs, so I think teams that really want a true big are going to reach on guys like Lively, maybe even Nnaji. That's the sense I get from just regular fan discussion and the state of the popular mocks.

What are your answers to this question?

For anyone unfamiliar with Miller : https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2023/6...2023-nba-draft

I'm not Lottery interested in Gradey Dick...not athletic enough for lottery consideration for me (see Corey Kispert); only 19 YO.

To me Jordan Hawkins is Lottery-worthy....Can play on /off ball and consistently cashes in on the 3-ball and will fill up the box score (See Jordan Clarkson)

Here's where I have each of these guys ranked on my own board:

Kris Murray - 19
    Jordan Hawkins - 24
    Noah Clowney - 37
    Maxwell Lewis - 16
    GG Jackson - 27
    Ben Sheppard - udfa
    Oscar Tshiebwe - anywhere from 45-60 makes sense to me
    Jalen Slawson - 45
    Charles Bediako - udfa

No real opinion or thorough knowledge on the others.

Here's where I have each of these guys ranked on my own board:

Kris Murray - 19
    Jordan Hawkins - 24
    Noah Clowney - 37
    Maxwell Lewis - 16
    GG Jackson - 27
    Ben Sheppard - udfa
    Oscar Tshiebwe - anywhere from 45-60 makes sense to me
    Jalen Slawson - 45
    Charles Bediako - udfa

No real opinion or thorough knowledge on the others.
    Except for Hawkins (and possibly Murray), there is nobody on the list that is worthy of 14th pick. This could be an indication that the Pelicans are trading back from 14 and doing research on UDFA possibilities.

lower- the arkansas boys, Black and Smith
    higher- taylor hendricks and GG jackson

Zach Milner, one of the best independent draft guys out there, just released his annual NBA range shooting database.

In it, he works out the percentages for every player in the draft (or at least, in ESPN's top 100) from 3, using NBA range, with regards to both corner and above the break 3s.

Link here:

Prominent shooters in this draft (prominent meaning, I have them in my own top 30 )

Name (# in my rankings) Above Break ATB %age Corner Corner %age Total Total %age
    Kris Murray (#20) 19/48` 39.6% 14/43 32.6% 33/91 36.3%
    Anthony Black (#15) 7/20 30.4% 9/23 39.1 15/46 34.8%
    Nick Smith Jr (#21) 2/14 14.3% 9/20 45.0% 11/34 32.3%
    dariq Whitehead (#10) 6/21 28.6% 16/31 51.6% 22/52 42.3%
    Jalen Hood Schifino (#17) 11/29 37.9% 3/21 14.29% 14/50 28.0%
    Grady dick (#11) 21/43 48.8% 18/64 28.1% 39/107 36.5%
    Victor Wembanyama (#1) 14/59 23.7% 7/18 38.9% 21/77 27.3%
    Jett Howard (#16) 21/65 32.3% 17/37 45.9% 38/102 37.3%
    Brice Sensabaugh (#12) 13/28 46.3% 11/23 47.8% 24/51 47.1%
    Brandin Podziemski (#18) 29/64 45.3% 10/20 50% 39/84 46.4%
    Taylor Hendricks (#6) 8/31 25.8% 16/40 40.0% 24/71 33.8%
    Cam Whitmore (#7) 5/27 18.6% 7/13 53.9% 12/40 30.0%
    Jordan Hawkins (#28) 30/67 44.8% 18/56 32.14% 48/123 39.0%

Guys who just flat can't shoot I haven't bothered listing, so no Lively et cetera

I know Brice Sensabaugh has dropped off in most people's estimates because of the injury, and I get that, but you can see why I'm still high on him - obviously it would depend on medicals but if they're promising I still see a lot of reason for him to be taken at #14.

I will note that, while not a shooter, Cason Wallace attempted 53 NBA range 3PAs this season and shot 37.7% on them.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-19-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

grain of salt and all

Thread Information