Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Who at #14?

Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's right. Lower Portland's leverage muahahaha.

I'll give Portland a ridiculous amount of picks obviously including 14, Dyson, Hernangomez, whatever. Just don't touch BI, Z, and Trey.

Let's go deeper. Charlotte exercises its positional leverage to force its way into a deal and still get their guy. They draft Scoot. Portland takes Miller. But then the following unfolds as New Orleans goes on the clock at 14...

We have a trade! New Orleans has made a trade with the Charlotte Hornets and the Portland Trailblazers:

-New Orleans trades Zion Williamson to the Portland Trailblazers and the 14th overall pick to the Charlotte Hornets;
    -Portland trades Anfernee Simons and the draft rights to Brandon Miller to the Charlotte Hornets and the 23rd overall pick to the New Orleans Pelicans;
    -Charlotte trades Gordon Hayward, the draft rights to Scoot Henderson and the 34th overall pick to the New Orleans Pelicans and the 39th overall pick to the Portland Trailblazers.

So...

Charlotte gets Brandon Miller, Anfernee Simons, Nasir Little and the 14th overall pick;
    Portland gets Zion Williamson and Charlotte's 39th overall pick;
    New Orleans gets Scoot Henderson, Portland's 23rd overall pick and Charlotte's 34th overall pick.

If you're trading Zion for multiple rookies and firsts, you better be moving Ingram too because that right there is a rebuild.

I also feel like the only team who would be happy with that would be Charlotte

If you're trading Zion for multiple rookies and firsts, you better be moving Ingram too because that right there is a rebuild.
    Why do you say that it is a rebuild if trading Zion? It is not like Zion has contributed in many games of importance over the last 4 seasons. The Pels have achieved whatever they did without him, especially in the 2021-22 season.

So the Pels will simply be adding to what they already have, by trading Zion, and giving the rest of the team the tools they need for success. BI is still only 25yo too, so he's on the same timeline as Scoot.
    Last edited by LAL1947; 06-21-2023 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAL1947 View Post
    Why do you say that it is a rebuild if trading Zion? It is not like Zion has contributed in many games of importance over the last 4 seasons. The Pels have achieved whatever they did without him, especially in the 2021-22 season.

So the Pels will simply be adding to what they already have, by trading Zion, and giving the rest of the team the tools they need for success. BI is still only 25yo too, so he's on the same timeline as Scoot.
    Because in the 4 years he's been here, the best we've finished is 9th.

So it's clear that, right now, without him, this team sucks. If he's not coming back at all, you have a 9th seed team about to become capped out with huge extensions due to BI, Trey, and Herb. Multiple years of JV and CJ still on the books. Very few remaining assets to supplement team growth.

''The Pels have achieved whatever they did without him''. 2 playoff wins in 4 years. I'm not very interested in hitting the luxury tax over that. Why pay through the nose to keep a losing team together?

If you're moving the only top-10 calibre player on the roster (which you just don't win chips without), you're either resetting or becoming a very expensive mediocrity.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-21-2023 at 09:58 PM.

Player A (without player B) in their best 15 game stretch--
    29 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assists, 1.1 stls, 0.8 blks
    64/38/72 shooting splits
    9-6 record and 1-5 on the road

Player B (without player A) in their best 15 game stretch last year--
    28 pts, 7 rebs, 8 assists, 0.7 stls, 0.5 blks
    51/43/88 shooting splits
    9-6 record and 5-4 on the road

One of these put up even better stats in a 6 game playoff stint against a #1 seed. The other has yet to play a playoff game.

Both players are often injured, but one is less injured than the other.

So it looks like if the team has to depend on either player alone, this team is no better than a "9th seed" no?
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-21-2023 at 11:21 PM.

That team in which Zion didn't contribute too much missed his game and the offense suffered. There were other injuries that impacted the season as well. But the earlier proposed trade for draft picks didn't seem like enough value. I am going to say the Pelicans stay at 14 having seen all the hype for a move before.
    And I am not a troll. Had a liver transplant last July and have stayed off the board.
    Last edited by Lee2000; 06-22-2023 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Add context

I might not say rebuild but I would not see it as a move forward. The team might need veteran help with rookie help. I think they need something. Not sure if that something is another shooter, a different center, or something I am not thinking about at the moment. They do need good health for most of the season. Injuries will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    That team in which Zion didn't contribute too much missed his game and the offense suffered. There were other injuries that impacted the season as well. But the earlier proposed trade for draft picks didn't seem like enough value. I am going to say the Pelicans stay at 14 having seen all the hype for a move before.
    And I am not a troll. Had a liver transplant last July and have stayed off the board.
    Hope your recovery has gone well, wishing you the best

Chris Haynes is super close to Dame...should we be reading into that?

Thank you. I am extremely grateful and living in the day.

Pelicanidae

Hope your recovery has gone well, wishing you the best

Thread Information