Pelicans Report

Thread: Free Agent Center List

Free Agent Center List

Would like to make a run at Naz Reid as will everyone else. Maybe Bismack.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/2023-nb...-centers-1851/

I would like Bismack on the cheap for sure. He is a solid defensive chess piece. He is my #1 realistic target who can be had for all or part of the MLE. We need a consistent rim protector for matchup purposes , and he is top 10 in the NBA at doing that.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-15-2023 at 12:41 PM.

With what money are you going to sign these FA's?
    MLE isn't going to get you an upgrade.

JV and this or next years first will be going out for Gafford, Myles Turner or Claxton. Another possibility maybe Hartenstein for lesser assets.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

JV and this or next years first will be going out for Gafford, Myles Turner or Claxton. Another possibility maybe Hartenstein for lesser assets.
    Really like Gafford, but hope he does not cost us a 1st and JV (unless heavily protected).

Naz Reid would be nice option if it is not expensive, but im pretty sure someone will throw a bag at him...

Still like rule that you don’t spend on big men in today’s NBA unless they do something extraordinary. Save your money.

We need rim protection and rebounding. We should be able to get those pretty cheap in the FA market or in 2nd round of draft, where Claxon and Gafford were both picked…

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Still like rule that you don’t spend on big men in today’s NBA unless they do something extraordinary. Save your money.

We need rim protection and rebounding. We should be able to get those pretty cheap in the FA market or in 2nd round of draft, where Claxon and Gafford were both picked…
    See Bismack Biyombo who specializes in rim protection and rebounding.

I’m not seeing a lot on the list. Exactly which of these guys can stay in the game in the last two minutes because they can hit foul shots?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

As usual every single year in the NBA, if you don't have the space, you create the space. There's a multitude of ways to do that.

Outside of the very top of that list, most of those guys won't be overly expensive, if at all. Plus there have been changes to the MLE for the upcoming league year.

We had better hope that Karlo Matkovic got bigger and better while playing abroad

Here's hoping that Europe does a better job developing 'bigs' better than the Pelicans do.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2023 at 09:47 AM.

It'll be interesting to see how the CBA changes impact us this year actually. I'm not a cap wizard by any means but it's still fun to look at from time to time - Griff said in his exit interviews that early indications seem to imply that the changes will be advantageous to teams ''in our situation''. He was referring to being able to maintain guys like Trey and Herb despite big cap implications, so it will be fun to see how that plays out
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how the CBA changes impact us this year actually. I'm not a cap wizard by any means but it's still fun to look at from time to time - Griff said in his exit interviews that early indications seem to imply that the changes will be advantageous to teams ''in our situation''. He was referring to being able to maintain guys like Trey and Herb despite big cap implications, so it will be fun to see how that plays out
    dae, I'm not overly concerned about Trey and Herb (we have them for another year on the cheap), but beyond them, absent a salary dump (CJ?) we cannot possibly be a major player in the free agent market. So we are pretty much limited to the draft and/or cashing in our draft cache to improve this team.

I will admit, though, that, like you, I think we may have a hidden gem in Liddell.

Note: I'm beginning to think that JAX might be back, though I would be shocked if JV will be.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2023 at 11:21 AM.

A few of those new MLE nuggets confirmed. There's more for teams over a "2nd" apron that can't use the MLE at all...I believe. Haven't looked that deeply into it. But that would reduce competition. Guess that's not confirmed yet.

Last edited by luckyman; 04-17-2023 at 07:15 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    kind of the middle ground when it comes to this group, but I sense that Drew Eubanks could fit in here nicely....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    kind of the middle ground when it comes to this group, but I sense that Drew Eubanks could fit in here nicely....
    I was thinking about that the other day watching one of the last POR games of the season. Seems to do a good job of rebounding and defending the rim, but has a decent jumper as well. Not limited just to in the paint.

Drew Eubanks is underrated and would be good here; it wouldn't cost much to get him.

Here is another guy we could sign for cheap. G League defensive MVP and he's 7'2

Jay Huff
    https://youtu.be/JrJJoOx36Wc

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    just looking at the list again and also feel that Thomas Bryant could fit here in New Orleans as well.....

just looking at the list again and also feel that Thomas Bryant could fit here in New Orleans as well.....
    Not really a rim protector or good defender though.

Thread Information