Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What kind of players does this team need to take it to the next level next season?

I would not. He is a very good player, but not worth the salary IMO. I would not think the Pels would do it either.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would not. He is a very good player, but not worth the salary IMO. I would not think the Pels would do it either.
    Part 2. Thoughts?

I don't like it either. I would not commit assets like FRP in a trader for him to keep them for a real needle mover.

I don't fully disagree, but the real needle mover is health anyway.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We need an athletic big who can rebound and block shots and another shooter.

I think we still need to build through the draft and focus on keeping Zion healthy. Focus on developing Murphy and Herb. I?d like a vet who will bring that intense energy we need. If the team can?t handle accountability they will not go too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    We need an athletic big who can rebound and block shots and another shooter.

I think we still need to build through the draft and focus on keeping Zion healthy. Focus on developing Murphy and Herb. I?d like a vet who will bring that intense energy we need. If the team can?t handle accountability they will not go too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. If we could move JV for Claxton and Cam Thomas. I think that’d be a good start. I know a lot of people would hate more picks but I’m of the opinion that you throw a lot of darts and eventually a few will pan out. I want GG Jackson, Lively, and either Cason or Whitehead. He’ll give me all of them and that would be my 4 end of bench guys.

I want the Pelicans pick up Donte' DiVincenzo (26 YO) in Free Agency.

He has a "Player Option" paying him 4.75MM in 2023-24.

On a team strapped with an abundance of guards (Curry, Thompson, Poole, Payton Jr, Moody), if DiVincenzo opted out, I doubt that GS would match any contract north of 10MM in a bidding war.

With DiVincenzo in hand, I would be open to selecting Dereck Lively with our pick.

~~~

Otherwise, I am Team Wallace Cason at 14 all the way, if available.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I agree. If we could move JV for Claxton and Cam Thomas. I think that?d be a good start. I know a lot of people would hate more picks but I?m of the opinion that you throw a lot of darts and eventually a few will pan out. I want GG Jackson, Lively, and either Cason or Whitehead. He?ll give me all of them and that would be my 4 end of bench guys.

Im intrigued by GG Jackson. He's ranked waaaay lower than he should be these days. I know he played for a losing team and contributed to that via his inefficiency; but one could say the exact same thing about Anthony Edwards a few years back. Perhaps these guys accept theyre on losing teams and treat it as their personal playground to ready for the league. GG Jackson did forgo his senior year in high school; hence, that probably contributes to his lack of efficiency and poor shot selection.

im just saying that if one watches his film they'd have to admit it'd be hard to pass him up with any pick 10-15

he's pretty damn talented

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I want the Pelicans pick up Donte' DiVincenzo (26 YO) in Free Agency.

He has a "Player Option" paying him 4.75MM in 2023-24.

On a team strapped with an abundance of guards (Curry, Thompson, Poole, Payton Jr, Moody), if DiVincenzo opted out, I doubt that GS would match any contract north of 10MM in a bidding war.

With DiVincenzo in hand, I would be open to selecting Dereck Lively with our pick.

~~~

Otherwise, I am Team Wallace Cason at 14 all the way, if available.
    I would really like DiVincenzo, but who's minutes does he take?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would really like DiVincenzo, but who's minutes does he take?
    By trade, he's the point guard that CJ isn't, though on the GS roster he's proven he can play all positions 1 thru 3 and play them well.

Assuming no other trades (which would be hard to believe) I'd gladly roll with:

Donte'; DD; Jose'
    BI; CJ; Kira
    3M3; Herb; Naji
    # 1; LNJ; EJ
    JV; DLively; JAX

There is a lot of flexibility in that group (players can play multiple positions), and this team has got to be predicated on the anticipated missed time by key players until further notice. And, of course, CJ can be who he wants to be: "The Man" on that second group.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    By trade, he's the point guard that CJ isn't, though on the GS roster he's proven he can play all positions 1 thru 3 and play them well.

Assuming no other trades (which would be hard to believe) I'd gladly roll with:

Donte'; DD; Jose'
    BI; CJ; Kira
    3M3; Herb; Naji
    # 1; LNJ; EJ
    JV; DLively; JAX

There is a lot of flexibility in that group (players can play multiple positions), and this team has got to be predicated on the anticipated missed time by key players until further notice. And, of course, CJ can be who he wants to be: "The Man" on that second group.
    He is no more of a pure PG than CJ is.

I like the Donte DiVincenzo suggestion but not as a starter.

The Pels need to sort out the Zion situation first and find a proper PG. So... killing 2 birds with 1 stone, why not unite the 2 Aussies, Giddey and Daniels?

Zion for Josh Giddey, if OKC will take Zion.

Solves 2 problems at once, and also turns the whole of Australia's basketball fanbase into Pelicans fan$.

- Giddey / CJ / GTA
    - TM3 / Donte
    - BI / Dyson / Naji
    - Herb / LNJ
    - Jonas / Hayes / Lively?

Frank Vogel would probably be a better coach for this group than Willie.

If OKC says no, I would have said to try trading Zion for Lamelo... but I'm an MJ fan, so do not want to do him so dirty.
    If MJ decides to sell that franchise though... Zion for Lamelo.

Either way, the Pels FO better do something quick... or else instead of being able to ask, "Zion for Morant, Giddey or Lamelo?"... it could very quickly become, "how many picks are you adding for me to take Zion off your hands?"... or "will you please do Zion for Spencer Dinwiddie and Davis Bertans?".
    Last edited by LAL1947; 05-16-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Hollinger out with his initial top-20 for the draft. Spoiler alert (if you don't have an Athletic sub) none of George, Howard, Sensabaugh, Murray, or Smith make it into his top 20 prospects. Lively comes in at 8, Bufkin at 10, Whitehead at 14 and Clowney at 15. https://theathletic.com/4520965/2023...-20-prospects/

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    (if you don't have an Athletic sub)
    Or toggle reader view.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Hollinger out with his initial top-20 for the draft. Spoiler alert (if you don't have an Athletic sub) none of George, Howard, Sensabaugh, Murray, or Smith make it into his top 20 prospects. Lively comes in at 8, Bufkin at 10, Whitehead at 14 and Clowney at 15. https://theathletic.com/4520965/2023...-20-prospects/
    It's Hollinger though. What does he know?

There are a lot of people out there with very good, well informed draft takes whose opinions I trust thoroughly on the draft.

Hollinger is not in the top 50 of those people. Absolutely would find it difficult to care any less than I do about his opinion on it.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Best available player, like they usually do. I hope EJ, the second round pick who they stashed overseas, Kira, and Dyson surprise some people. No matter if that surprise is scoring, defense, or rebounding.

Bored Question:

Thoughts on a trade centered around Brandon Ingram for Trae Young - something like Ingram and CJ or Jonas for Trae and Collins or Capela?

I am sure the Hawks would push for a pick or picks and/or a young asset (Dyson?) to move Young. But Ingram and CJ fit nicely with Murray, Hunter and Okongwu. This trade would keep them in playoff contention for foreseeable future.

Of course, all of this hinges on Zion being healthy, but I like a lineup of Young, Jones, Murphy, Zion, Jonas (or replacement for Jonas if moved); with Jose, Dyson, Collins, Nance, Naji, Kira off the bench.

I'd much rather have BI than Trae.

More versatile scorer, more selfless player, better defender by a mile.

Every story that comes out of ATL basically paints the picture of Trae as a massive pain to play with who other players dislike sharing the court with because he's a ball-hog and an abrasive figure.

I'd be interested in the possibility of Collins, but Trae is a no for me.

I still think the Celtics/Heat series goes 7 games. But if Boston loses this series, odds are high Jaylen Brown gets moved.

I would trade cj for klay Thompson

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    I would trade cj for klay Thompson
    No thanks. Klay is two years older, had major injuries and his play falling off a cliff.

I’m pretty sure their numbers were similar atleast klay will play his role as a shooter and won’t end up hogging the ball taking all the shots and has a real championship pedigree

We should be looking to move CJ for someone younger if we want to move him at all.

Mavs reportedly want to move their 10th to get rid of either Hardaway, Bertans or McGee.

Could be interesting spot to move Valanciunas if pels really want to part with him. I would prefer to keep him while grooming a younger center but Jonas +Temple for Bertans + McGee+ 10th pick would make some sense for both teams. 10th and 14th give some great option either for trade up or trade for a more seasoned player maybe a fringe all star.

Thread Information