Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: April 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 42-39

Starter
    I love JV, but he doesn't fit the rest of this team. He's too slow for what this team wants to do and this team wants to run especially when Zion comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by HorneyTexan View Post
    I love JV, but he doesn't fit the rest of this team. He's too slow for what this team wants to do and this team wants to run especially when Zion comes back.
    This is not a ''run and gun'' team. We're 15th in pace this year, we were 21st last year, and Green has been vocal about preferring 2s over 3s. He's not just trying to replicate pace and space - even if we think he should.

When JV is on the floor, this team is just better than when he isn't, in a number of ways. The problem is that Green seems stuck between wanting to play small-ball, and wanting to play-bruising, rebounding, slow ball. He can't have both and he so clearly wants it. So we end up with stupid situations like playing small-ball lineups that refuse to take 3s.

He needs to pick a philosophy and commit to it. If he is committed to small ball, then we need to trade JV and Green needs to integrate more 3s into the gameplan. If he is committed to 2>3, then he needs to ditch the small-ball stuff and integrate JV more into the offence.

Green is trying to have his cake and eat it too, and the incoherence is costing us.
    Basketball.

Starter
    Truthfully, I think that growth in pace from 21 to 15 is going to continue, but NBA teams have to be able to have "multiple personalities". There's no reason we can't be a half-court team when needed and then a pace and space team when we want. This team has young pieces and "mature" pieces. I think it's only going to get better as the young kids continue to evolve but it sure would be nice to have a 5 who could run, adjust shots, and have a short jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by HorneyTexan View Post
    Truthfully, I think that growth in pace from 21 to 15 is going to continue, but NBA teams have to be able to have "multiple personalities". There's no reason we can't be a half-court team when needed and then a pace and space team when we want. This team has young pieces and "mature" pieces. I think it's only going to get better as the young kids continue to evolve but it sure would be nice to have a 5 who could run, adjust shots, and have a short jumper.
    You have to be able to handle different looks but a team that is built to maximise pace and space is simply built out of different pieces than a team that is designed for crushing interior offense. You can't have a team that is world-class at both, because you'd need two different rosters. It's just not possible.

You have to have an identity as a team. We don't, right now.

It's important to note that CJ is playing with a hurt thumb and it's clearly impacting his game. He probably wouldn't be trying so hard if Jose and Zion were in.....and he was overcompensating because Trey and Herb weren't ready for playoff intensity. Even the officiating is different in the playoffs. That's not a knock on Trey and Herb. They're sophomores. They'll get there. But Minnesota adjusted better to playoff intensity basketball than we did and it put more pressure on CJ to perform when his thumb is throwing him off.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 04-09-2023 at 07:00 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basketball Guru
    "It was a tough game to continue to go with JV once they went small" - Willie Green about why he closed with Herb at the 5

smdh....i just cant believe willie green said that smdh....

Agree with pretty much all of this

Can someone explain to me why down 3 with less than 10 seconds to play, CJ went for a layup rather than kicking it out for 3. That sorta hit me as a guy either blanking out in the clutch or a selfish player trying to pad stats.

Nance was terrible today. I cannot understand why Willie did not put JV back in. Also, when will we ever run plays and screens to get TM3 open?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Nance was terrible today. I cannot understand why Willie did not put JV back in. Also, when will we ever run plays and screens to get TM3 open?
    Willie doesn't trust JV in clutch moments and also, no. That's when, no.

Basketball Guru
    the sun is just shining on the lakers butt right now....they should blow the wolves out tuesday...and will face a memphis team with good players who are hurt....

if AD show up in that series then the lakers will knock memphis out in the 1st round.....

Didn't get to catch the game because of Easter, which sounds like a good thing from these posts.

Looking at the lines we only made 3 triples all night, which is horrific, but points to a bad shooting night instead of a total implosion. Looks like a classic playoff CJ line. 0-5 from deep and 5-8 FT seems like he must have been putting up terrible shots off the dribble again. Looks like BI and JV cleaned up the glass big time. Next two were CJ and Richardson with 5 each.

My god what a total carry by BI! 3 assists away from a 42 pt. triple double. 4 TOs isn't great, but looks like he made up for it in other spots with 12 boards, 2 steals, a block, and a prefect 9 from FT. We can't keep wasting these games from him, or asking him to do all of this by himself in the playoffs. CJ has got to step up and stop being scared in these games.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    Didn't get to catch the game because of Easter, which sounds like a good thing from these posts.

Looking at the lines we only made 3 triples all night, which is horrific, but points to a bad shooting night instead of a total implosion. Looks like a classic playoff CJ line. 0-5 from deep and 5-8 FT seems like he must have been putting up terrible shots off the dribble again. Looks like BI and JV cleaned up the glass big time. Next two were CJ and Richardson with 5 each.

My god what a total carry by BI! 3 assists away from a 42 pt. triple double. 4 TOs isn't great, but looks like he made up for it in other spots with 12 boards, 2 steals, a block, and a prefect 9 from FT. We can't keep wasting these games from him, or asking him to do all of this by himself in the playoffs. CJ has got to step up and stop being scared in these games.
    Believe me, CJ is not 'scared'. He is a lot of things ('self-serving' comes to mind), but 'scared' isn't one of them.

This is such a surreal season because if someone had told you before the year started that even with major injury issues to both Zion and BI, we'd still be over .500 and make the post-season, it wouldn't have sounded too bad.

But watching just how we got here has been painful.

Everybody's predictions for this year (good, bad, and mid) went out of the window in January.

I think we've all come to expect both BI and Zion will miss 20 - 30 games. But they both managed to go beyond that.

That's just plain horrible for fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is such a surreal season because if someone had told you before the year started that even with major injury issues to both Zion and BI, we'd still be over .500 and make the post-season, it wouldn't have sounded too bad.

But watching just how we got here has been painful.
    Very Good Take.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Everybody's predictions for this year (good, bad, and mid) went out of the window in January.

I think we've all come to expect both BI and Zion will miss 20 - 30 games. But they both managed to go beyond that.

That's just plain horrible for fans.
    It's wild how much time these two miss. Zion obviously misses whole seasons, and then BI misses like 25-30 games a year fairly consistently. Our injury luck in general is terrible.

Trey, JV, Naji, and CJ were the only Pels who played more than 66 games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Believe me, CJ is not 'scared'. He is a lot of things ('self-serving' comes to mind), but 'scared' isn't one of them.
    "Injured" is probably the main issue.

"Injured" is probably the main issue.
    And ''inflexible'' would be another

Or at a bare minimum, "INEFFICIENT" (and that's being kind).

Not here to pile on Pels, they’ve had some rotten luck with injuries again this year. But I do worry more now about coach and how he sees the game. Like dae, I detect a certain kind of inflexibility or rigidity in his coaching style. Sometimes it’s just adherence to long-time NBA norms, like how vet back ups can make stupid plays that would get a young guy stuck to the bench yet keep their spot in the rotation. Other times it’s a more general sense that he’s kind of passive and fatalistic about things at times. Maybe that approach helps keep a young team together in tough times, but I worry that it also leads to a foolish consistency when changes are needed or better situational awareness and flexibility would help us win games…

How so? He has a torn ligament in his dominant hand. Not an easy injury to play with.

How so? He has a torn ligament in his dominant hand. Not an easy injury to play with.
    Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

CJ is playing now exactly like he always does. But he has a serious injury in his shooting hand.

The wise thing to do would be to adjust how you approach the game, when you have such an injury - be more willing to defer, maybe try to prioritise facilitation, use yourself more as a decoy, use motion off-ball to off-set a reduced personal efficiency by improving looks for others.

Instead, he just goes out there and pretends that he's fine, plays the same way, but worse.

The critique I have for him, at least the major one, is the same one I keep making and people continue coming back to me by pointing out that he's injured, to which my response is always the same: I know that - does he? Because he plays as if he has no issues, no injuries, nothing to adjust to. He is inflexible because he refuses to adapt his game to account for his injury, and ignores the issues that result from it. So he's either ignorant, or selfish - or, as I suggest here, inflexible and has trouble doing things any differently.

None of those options are good options, but they're what's on the table.

Thread Information