Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: April 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 42-39

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    BI was our best player in the first half and CJ was our best player in the 2nd half.
    that's just not true. The opposing team keeps double teaming BI and refusing to let Trey shoot from 3, which opens up everything for CJ. He took advantage somewhat in the 2nd half, but his stats were still awful and he was not nearly good enough. He NEEDS to distribute the ball and find the best shot. He is simply not productive driving to the hoop forcing his own shot - it's been proven out all season long. If he's injured, that's even MORE important.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Cj problem is that he has to cover for zion

If zion could actually suit up he would be the third option
    Yeah, except when Zion was on the floor CJ was still doing this.

Of course you could then say it's because Ingram was out - which is fair.

CJ has had a tough position in a lot of ways this season. But the fact is that he is making a lot of his own problems for himself, and the choices he is making on the court are worsening the factors beyond his control.
    Basketball.

Wtf are you talking about he had two steals. You have a blind hatred agenda and Im tired of seeing it. Keep that crap to yourself.
    You are entitled to your opinion on here as am I. I say he sucks...especially defensively and ISO-CJ is a joke. If # 1 ever comes back...he should hit the pines.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

And he is the only guy other than BI who can create his own shot

We just blew a game against a team that lost 2 starters mid-game, one for getting into a fight with a teammate, the other for punching a wall. That’s just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion on here as am I. I say he sucks...especially defensively and ISO-CJ is a joke. If # 1 ever comes back...he should hit the pines.
    Yeah he had two steal in the last couple minutes of the game so if you want to talk about his defense you should probably mention the plays that he made on defense.

Welp. I honestly hope they lose to OKC. Could use another lottery pick.

When your two main guys are unreliable to play for most of the season, you need as much talent as you can get. Because you're so often having to play without one of them, or both.

CJ is a pure sidekick and nothing more.

This season had no business coming down to this.

Totally agree. If CJ is the 3rd option (or a deadly 6th man), he would be awesome.

Starter
    We have the talent to win 2 play-in games, but I wouldn't be upset if we lose and end up in the lottery.

I don’t see it’s making it the lakers almost always beat us

Basketball Guru
    we gave up i think 6 points on layups all because we didnt block out on miss free throws....

naji had a bad foul at the end of the half that gave them 2 points.....

trey was fouled shooting the 3 that could have tied the game or gave trey 3 free throws or an and one but the ref didnt call Edwards for the hands on trey.....

imo could have play jax some mins on kat because nance was hurt and katt was not playing in the paint against our bigs.....

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    that's just not true. The opposing team keeps double teaming BI and refusing to let Trey shoot from 3, which opens up everything for CJ. He took advantage somewhat in the 2nd half, but his stats were still awful and he was not nearly good enough. He NEEDS to distribute the ball and find the best shot. He is simply not productive driving to the hoop forcing his own shot - it's been proven out all season long. If he's injured, that's even MORE important.
    This is what I keep saying, but it is not being heard at all.

If CJ is injured - which I believe, I'm not challenging that - then he needs to adjust his approach. He isn't. So either he's playing selfish basketball, or he's a moron. Now, I've heard him speak and he's not a moron. So he's playing selfish basketball.

That's a fair thing to critique. Falling back on ''but he's injured!'' only begs the question.

And that has only become clearer over the last 6 weeks as Trey has proven himself a legitimate 20 point per night threat.

Obviously no game can be boiled down to box score traits, but if someone asked me the most glaring problem from tonight's box score it's this.

CJ took 14 more shots than Trey and only scored 3 additional points. If you can't see an issue with that, you need to think again.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we gave up i think 6 points on layups all because we didnt block out on miss free throws....

naji had a bad foul at the end of the half that gave them 2 points.....

trey was fouled shooting the 3 that could have tied the game or gave trey 3 free throws or an and one but the ref didnt call Edwards for the hands on trey.....

imo could have play jax some mins on kat because nance was hurt and katt was not playing in the paint against our bigs.....
    Yeah I do not understand why Jax couldn’t get on the floor against KAT

It just is true. CJ was our best player in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And that has only become clearer over the last 6 weeks as Trey has proven himself a legitimate 20 point per night threat.

Obviously no game can be boiled down to box score traits, but if someone asked me the most glaring problem from tonight's box score it's this.

CJ took 14 more shots than Trey and only scored 3 additional points. If you can't see an issue with that, you need to think again.

Yeah, because Trey can’t create his own shots well enough yet. If he could create his shot anywhere near as good as CJ (and BI) then he would have more shots.

Yeah, because Trey can’t make his own shot yet. If Trek could create his shot anywhere, nearly as good as CJ, then he would have more shots.
    Yep, that's the only problem with our offense.

CJ can make his own shots really well (can't hit any of them right now, but he can make them so we'll just let him do that endlessly) and if you don't have a 25 piece dribble package, the team is banned from running a play that might create something for you.

Come on, man, I know you know better than this. You've just gone into defense mode for CJ so you're not willing to accept that sometimes he makes mistakes.

I think the season would have went better if we had just kept Josh Hart.

CJ sucks

BI was our best player in the first half and CJ was our best player in the 2nd half.
    If you believe this, try this on....

One Minute of CJ in Crunch Time

47.6 Seconds....CJ misses two free throws (Pels down by 5)
    57.3 Seconds....CJ fouls Edwards on made basket; leads to an one (Pels down by 2)
    58.3 Seconds....Conley steals ball from CJ (Pels down by 2)
    1:08 Minutes....CJ Dunk Attempt blocked (Pels down by 2)
    1:30 Minutes....CJ fouls Conley who shoots two (Pel down by 2)
    1:43 Minutes....CJ misses three pointer (Pels down by 1)

I don't dislike CJ personally He simply is not clutch in basketball and has repeatedly let this team down. He is definitely this team's weak link in starting five.

Basketball Guru
    Yeah I do not understand why Jax couldn’t get on the floor against KAT
    katt was shooting 3s and in foul trouble so he was not being aggressive on offense going in the paint so at least jax could have challenge his outside shooting more than nance was doing....,

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Pelican View Post
    I think the season would have went better if we had just kept Josh Hart.

CJ sucks
    YEP, and JAX would be playing (barring another transaction)

It just is true. CJ was our best player in the 2nd half.
    I'd like to see any objective data that supports this argument? He did start scoring (and I gave him props for it!) but as I said, he was getting easier looks and lanes to the hoops as the T-Wolves double-teamed BI and tried to limit outside looks from Trey. Even with that, he still had major gaffes that killed us.

I want to emphasize that I truly like CJ, just not as the primary scoring option. I really think adding Zion back (with Trey's growth) should solve the "iso-CJ" situation. But let's not act like he hasn't been a problem. He has.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If you believe this, try this on....

One Minute of CJ in Crunch Time

47.6 Seconds....CJ misses two free throws (Pels down by 5)
    57.3 Seconds....CJ fouls Edwards on made basket; leads to an one (Pels down by 2)
    58.3 Seconds....Conley steals ball from CJ (Pels down by 2)
    1:08 Minutes....CJ Dunk Attempt blocked (Pels down by 2)
    1:30 Minutes....CJ fouls Conley who shoots two (Pel down by 2)
    1:43 Minutes....CJ misses three pointer (Pels down by 1)

I don't dislike CJ personally He simply is not clutch in basketball and has repeatedly let this team down. He is definitely this team's weak link in starting five.
    Why are you leaving off the positive things that he does? Within that same timeframe he had a rebound and 2 steals and you arent mentioning them. That?s why I called you out because you only ******** on him when he does something bad and never recognize when he does anything good. That?s what makes you a hater.

This team will ALWAYS find a way to lose important games. Pathetic efford in the second half. Without Z We are so Soft….

I'd like to see any objective data that supports this argument? He did start scoring (and I gave him props for it!) but as I said, he was getting easier looks and lanes to the hoops as the T-Wolves double-teamed BI and tried to limit outside looks from Trey. Even with that, he still had major gaffes that killed us.

I want to emphasize that I truly like CJ, just not as the primary scoring option. I really think adding Zion back (with Trey's growth) should solve the "iso-CJ" situation. But let's not act like he hasn't been a problem. He has.
    Points scored is a pretty objective data point wouldn’t you say?

Thread Information