Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: April 4th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 40-38

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I’d join and bring a sign to the game for the club. He is not acting like a vet should. Refusing to pass to wide open players is just maddening.
    I know that part of it is just that CJ is in his 30s and the expected passing package for a player is slightly different now than it was for a guard 10+ years ago when he was 'developing', but seeing him miss basic skip passes to a wide open Trey so he can take contested midrange faders is actually giving me migraines.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know that part of it is just that CJ is in his 30s and the expected passing package for a player is slightly different now than it was for a guard 10+ years ago when he was 'developing', but seeing him miss basic skip passes to a wide open Trey so he can take contested midrange faders is actually giving me migraines.
    It’s been that way all year too. Even in the playoffs last year. We just didn’t realize it would carry over. If he’s not hitting, he kills the team.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Yep. Flush it and move on. Hopefully with some help from your franchise player.
    Lol cmon now

Wish they woulda went after Luke Kennard.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Wish they woulda went after Luke Kennard.
    To me, CJ is not even an upgrade from Tyreke Evans as a player.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    CJ has had the most tumultuous season ever this year. He's had stretches of good solid play and then just weeks of being garbage and you never have any way of knowing which version you're gonna get in a given night.
    CJ has an injury to his shooting hand that will require surgery in the offseason. He has been putting the team first and playing hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    CJ has an injury to his shooting hand that will require surgery in the offseason. He has been putting the team first and playing hurt.
    Last time I checked, you don't need your shooting hand to play defense. But, as you said, that "nice block when someone tried to drive on him" in the first quarter really tells the story of his elite, defensive prowess. Where did you buy get your 'rose-colored' glasses? I wanna get me a pair. SMH

All I'm asking is for him to put the team even more first and stop playing CJ Ball so much.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Last time I checked, you don't need your shooting hand to play defense. But, as you said, that "nice block when someone tried to drive on him" in the first quarter really tells the story of his elite, defensive prowess. Where did you buy get your 'rose-colored' glasses? I wanna get me a pair. SMH
    I think you just need some regular glasses so that you can watch the game and not miss plays that happen on the floor. CJ made a good defensive play. A couple minutes later you post that he is “zero” on defense. I never said he was elite on defense. But he clearly is more than zero because he had just made a good defensive play.

In general I agree with others it has not been a good year for CJ. I think that having an injury on your shooting hand, could have an impact for a basketball player. As upset as we are when guys dont play through injuries, we arent very forgiving when they do either.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 04-05-2023 at 09:05 AM.

In general I agree with others it has not been a good year for CJ. I think that having an injury on your shooting hand, could have an impact for a basketball player. As upset as we are when guys dont play through injuries, we arent very forgiving when they do either.
    I think the bigger issue for me is that the problems CJ is having are largely not problems that stem from having an injury to your shooting hand.

If the only issue was that he was shooting inefficiently, then yeah the hand issue would explain that away. Same with if he was a touch more turnover prone, or his handle was less refined. All of those are issues that a hand injury could cause, and it would make sense.

Having a hand injury does not explain hero-ball. There's no excuse for taking multiple consecutive shots early in the shot-clock with zero passes, off the dribble, when other guys are wide open with easy passing lanes, that comes from an injured hand. The two things don't correlate. So I'm not that forgiving with some of the big CJ issues because the issue is in his head, not his hand.

And this tracks with something I mentioned before the season started. I talked about the trouble of CJ taking a back-seat to others, because he had spent all summer talking about wanting to get out of Lillard's shadow, saying that this was 'his' team and speaking about how he wanted to prove he could be a 'lead guard' who handled the ball. I remember specifically saying how that was concerning to me, given that in a healthy team situation he's at most the third option. Then we saw that be something of an issue early in the season. It settled down towards Christmas, but as Zion went out with injury and BI returned, it feels like CJ has drifted back into the ''this is my team'' mindset. We even saw that with the ''vets only'' meeting the team recently had that conveniently excluded JV and was led by CJ.

It's irritating. He needs to accept his limits and play within a team concept, and that's true even if his hand was in pristine condition.

The Nets want to get rid of Ben Simmons? I'd take him for CJ and, if necessary, a couple of 2's.

If healthy, we'd have that point guard this team sorely needs, and upgrade our defense immeasurably. Yep, get Simmons out of the NY Media Circus and bring him back to Louisiana. In CJ, we have a chameleon; you never know what you are going to get. With a healthy Simmons, you know you are going get a guy who wants to pass (7-8 assists a game), the best rebounding guard in the league (apologies to JHart), and an All NBA Defensive Guard every night. I acknowledge that he is no 3-Point threat, but he is shooting plus 50% + from everywhere else (so he is an efficient scorer).

Note: He would be a God-send if Jonas remains on the team.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-05-2023 at 09:34 AM.

The Nets want to get rid of Ben Simmons? I'd take him for CJ and, if necessary, a couple of 2's.

If healthy, we'd have that point guard this team sorely needs, and upgrade our defense immeasurably. Yep, get Simmons out of the NY Media Circus and bring him back to Louisiana. In CJ, we have a chameleon; you never know what you are going to get. With a healthy Simmons, you know you are going get a guy who wants to pass (7-8 assists a game), the best rebounding guard in the league (apologies to JHart), and an All NBA Defensive Guard every night. I acknowledge that he is no 3-Point threat, but he is shooting plus 50% + from everywhere else (so he is an efficient scorer).

Lol. The Nets want to get rid of Simmons because he's not at all interested in playing basketball. He's the single worst asset/contract in the entire league, and you want to add picks to trade for him? If we had a trade exception and wouldn't have to give up anything it would be a horrible idea to add him. Bring him back to Louisiana like his time here went so well and he was well liked. Maybe we could surround Zion with Simmons, Herb, Dyson, and JV. All 5 defenders could stand directly under the basket. Every basketball opinion you have ever had is hereby invalidated.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Lol. The Nets want to get rid of Simmons because he's not at all interested in playing basketball. He's the single worst asset/contract in the entire league, and you want to add picks to trade for him? If we had a trade exception and wouldn't have to give up anything it would be a horrible idea to add him. Bring him back to Louisiana like his time here went so well and he was well liked. Maybe we could surround Zion with Simmons, Herb, Dyson, and JV. All 5 defenders could stand directly under the basket. Every basketball opinion you have ever had is hereby invalidated.
    Yeah, maybe you are right, we might be better off with a PG who is a defensive turnstile and who has more ups and downs than a Sears Tower Elevator. I'll defer to your expertise. LOL

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar

I'd say you are joking, but based on your track record, I must accept that you aren't. Oy vey!

To me, CJ is not even an upgrade from Tyreke Evans as a player.
    While CJ certainly has struggled lately, you may have forgotten how bad Evans was for the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I'd say you are joking, but based on your track record, I must accept that you aren't. Oy vey!

You feel a 30+ year old converted PG who is adverse to sharing the ball is the better option then a 26 year old...

... 3 Time All Star
    ... 2 Time First Team All Defensive Player
    ... Former Steals later
    ... Former Rookie of the Year
    ... 1 Time All NBA Teamer

Well?

And just for the record....

I do recall how I was first to say that the biggest need of our team was a stretch five four years ago to give # 1 room to operate, suggesting Brook Lopez, Kelly Olynyk, and even Lauri Markkanen. Meanwhile, a Favors, an Adams, and a JV later, here we are. Well?

I also said right after drafting JAX that he needed to be developed because he was so raw and that he should spend his rookie year in Erie. I took considerable grief for my position. I guess I missed out on that one, too. Now we are probably telling JAX. "Good Bye". Are you invited to his going away party? Well?

While everyone else was saying the biggest need, going into this year, was a rim-protecting big man, I said the biggest need was a competent a Point Guard. Now, at the end of the season, everyone wants the ball out of our PG's hands. Well?

And yes, I said, as soon as he was traded for, that CJ could never play the point. Well?

There is more, but why bore you?

You're the type that could catch your best friend in bed with your wife and then go fishing with him because you would 'deny your lying eyes". LOL

I'll gladly stand on my track record.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-05-2023 at 12:06 PM.

No defence = No wins. Pathetic efford.

Thread Information